How Fast Should Commons Grow?

holyk

Hi, I know it's been a while, but I've been really busy with school just starting and all the preps for that, on top of work and everything.

I have a question about my common and comet's growth!

They started out as feeder fish, 1 inch long. I got them in June. Now they're just barely over 2 inches (I think; they don't stay still). Is this normal? How fast should they be growing?

Unrelated question: Two aponogetons out of three in my tank seem to be dying: They lose stalks and leaves faster than they grow them. Is this normal, or might there be something in the water?

Thirdly, I have noticed a white crusty buildup in the splash zone near the filters on the hood of my tank. Is this abnormal?

But mostly, I'm just curious how long it will be before I'll have to get another 30 gal for one of my fishies. Their growth (what little there was) has slowed down lately. =/ I decreased feeding for a few days after my parents had overfed them while I was gone for a few days, but I'm increasing feeding again to normal levels.

Growth is mostly based on genetics, but from my limited experience, environment matters too. Commons can get very big, and seem to do best with a large volume of water.

I have a feeder comet who started at 2 inches in a 10 gallon tank 1.5 years ago. He's now in a 300 gallon pond, and is almost 5 inches. But another feeder common I bought 4 months ago for the pond is now over 5 inches. Who knows how big that one will be in another year!

I agree with cometgirl. Generics play a big role in how fast commons grow.

Environment - Also their environment that there in such as tank space i.e how many gallons does he it have to swim in? (10g per+, is a great start) Is it overcrowded? Goldfish will only grow to the size of their environment. Tanks and ponds have different growth rate due to space. Ponds - Goldfish in ponds generally will grow fast due to abundance of algae to eat and also the live microscopic animals, left over food and insects to feed on. Basically can eat at any time they want, and natural light helps.

Food - food that you feed them plays a part in their growth as well. If you want your goldfish to grow fast consider feeding them a wide variety of foods (vegies, flakes, gels, pellets). Also high growth food will help to maximise the growth potential of your fish. (feed them more than 2x a day, but only what they can eat in 2 minutes, I would say 1 minute if you feed more than twice a day.)

Genetics - The fish is only as good as its parents. Good bloodline = good fish and possibly less chance of disease.

I have no idea about their bloodline, but they munch on broccoli, spinach, bloodworms, baby brine (Because the store was sold out of brine, and at the time I didn't know the difference), and flakes. I feed twice a day, only what they can stuff into their mouths within a minute.

For common they well need 20 plus gallons each. So I would not wait I would get them a proper size tank ASAP and watch them grow like weeds.

Good luck.

1) I agree, it could just be genetics. But I also agree that you need to get them a properly sized tank ASAP. It's not quite true what Powerdragon said about goldfish "only growing to the size of their environment"........Goldfish secrete a growth inhibiting hormone that builds up the water and slows the growth of their skeleton and structural muscles. They are then considered "stunted," while their outside stops growing, their insides don't and they will eventually die from this problem. So a correctly sized tank is essential. I know they look small now, but they are already secreting the hormone.

2) Plants that are dying have a few causes. They could be not getting enough nutrients. What is the level of nitrAtes in your tank? Plants use nitrAtes for fertilizer. You don't want it to be too high, but if it's at 0 that may be your problem. It could be that they are not getting enough, or the wrong kind of, light (I would bet this is the case). What is the temperature of your bulbs? On my tank I have two 6700K T5 bulbs. I am cultivating green water and they work like a charm. For more specific information you should head over to the planted tanks section! :)

3) White build up near the splash zone of a tank is completely normal. It means you have very hard water. It happens on my tank, too! It's not harmful, just ugly! :P When my fish are in the pond over the summer, I drape the tank in vinegar soaked paper towelling and then I scrub all the calcium deposits off. Sometimes I have to use a razor blade, but in the end it looks like new! :mytank1: If you don't have anywhere to put the fish for the few days it takes to do this (because you have to rinse the tank and few times and let it dry to completely remove all the vinegar) then don't worry about it. It isn't bad, like I said, just ugly! :)

Hope this helped!

Thanks so much Ryukin Girl! I was starting to get worried about the white buildup. Didn't want anything harmful. I guess water from the tap is pretty hard... I'd prefer hard to soft water, though!

My nitrates tend to fluctuate, as I wait a while before doing WCs, and then they get down to 10 or less after. It also might be that it's getting colder and I don't have a water heater, so my plants are dying off for the winter. I have a fluorescent bulb, but mostly I use natural light, as the tank's in a place that gets decent sunlight. I only use the light in early morning or evening when it's feeding time.

Edited by HolyK