Buller'S Fins Are Getting Shredded?

Guldklumpen

Hi all.

For the last few weeks i have noticed that my goldfish Buller are getting shredded fins.

To me it dont look like finrot, but im no expert.

Ammonia, no2, no3, ph are all fine.

i have added 0.3 salt to the tank and it has helped his pectoral fins heal, they got ripped first.

I change water twice a week (2x33%) and all should be ok here.

My own theory is, that he is just to wild, he often wedges himself into narrow places

and shoots around the tank like a little rocket, he do not act or appear sick at all.

He's got a good appetite, breeding stars, erect fins and is VERY curious about everything.

I think he might rip himself during his wild behavior, none of the other 3 goldfish have any cuts.

Also the other fish dont chase him, all get along fine.

Thee is also 2 Ancistrus catfish in the tank, but i have never seen them attack the fish.

Can anyone help me find out the problem? ...or tell, if it is or is not finrot from theese pics?:

1dfhgsfs.jpg

2gsdsgd.jpg

Thank you!

Jesper :)

Hi there. Are you sure there's no breeding activity/chasing/bullying in the tank? I've seen split fins on stressed fish at that time. If he's racing round maybe he has some flukes..

Otherwise - a few other possibles- depending on some other details which we really need. There is a white box above your post, in this forum and it helps us so much if waiting for diagnosis you can just fill out answers to the questions formulated there, things like if you have had any new fish, how established your tank is -what size tank-and of course the all important water data: nitrites, nitrates pH and ammonia. Thanks :)

Hi there. Are you sure there's no breeding activity/chasing/bullying in the tank? I've seen split fins on stressed fish at that time. If he's racing round maybe he has some flukes..

Otherwise - a few other possibles- depending on some other details which we really need. There is a white box above your post, in this forum and it helps us so much if waiting for diagnosis you can just fill out answers to the questions formulated there, things like if you have had any new fish, how established your tank is -what size tank-and of course the all important water data: nitrites, nitrates pH and ammonia. Thanks :)

Sorry about lacking info.

Its basically because i rules thoose things out myself.

but her goes:

Ammonia: 0.02 ppm

Nitrate: app. 35 ppm (cant get lower since my tap water is 35 ppm)

Nitrite: 0

Ph: 7.4 (inaccurate stick testing, tap water is 7 )

Tank size: 250 liter / 65 gallon.

No new fish or agressive behavior going on.

Tank have been running for about 2 months, i have a little ammonia probs but keep it down with testing and waterchange.

Can you tell from the pics if it could be finrot?

Edited by Guldklumpen

I am not expert but it doesn't look like finrot to me, it looks like how my female moor looks after she has been chased by the boys wanting to breed (although I have never actually seen them chasing her as they only seem to do it at night).

Finrot is normally more messy, the tail starts to sort of rot (for want of a better word) from the edge back down the fin and you often get a fungus looking edge to it and it gets very ragged, that looks more like damage than disease to me but like I said I am no expert.

When mine get damaged fins I just add some melafix which helps healing and they have always been fine.

Edited by hpsauce

I am not expert but it doesn't look like finrot to me, it looks like how my female moor looks after she has been chased by the boys wanting to breed (although I have never actually seen them chasing her as they only seem to do it at night).

Finrot is normally more messy, the tail starts to sort of rot (for want of a better word) from the edge back down the fin and you often get a fungus looking edge to it and it gets very ragged, that looks more like damage than disease to me but like I said I am no expert.

When mine get damaged fins I just add some melafix which helps healing and they have always been fine.

I was thinking the same thing.

The finrot i have seen i pics look more like the fins are "dissolving".

I will look into finding melafix in Denmark or something simular.

For now the 0.3% salt in the tank should allso help. (0.3grams salt per liter).

There should probably not be any reason to worry as long as Buller is happy and eating?

I will however rearrange the roots and plants in my tank so he is more unlikely to get ripped/stuck.

Update: I found it : Melafix

Edited by Guldklumpen

I don't know if you call it the same thing but the active ingredient in melafix is tea tree oil, I get mine from the local health food shop.

I actually use that rather than melafix and just add 2 drops per gallon of water and just repeat each day for 7 days (I have read if you add it for to long it can affect their gills but have not checked this to be true).

This was my Dylan after being abused by the boys with damaged fins and missing scales

download001.jpg

and this was her a week later after treating with just tea tree oil with nearly all the fins knitted back together.

download029.jpg

Edited by hpsauce

I don't know if you call it the same thing but the active ingredient in melafix is tea tree oil, I get mine from the local health food shop.

I actually use that rather than melafix and just add 2 drops per gallon of water and just repeat each day for 7 days (I have read if you add it for to long it can affect their gills but have not checked this to be true).

This was my Dylan after being abused by the boys with damaged fins and missing scales

and this was her a week later after treating with just tea tree oil with nearly all the fins knitted back together.

Very nice progress, i had simular fast progress with Bullers pectoral fins by adding salt.

Are there any problems with using salt and melafix/teatreeoil at the same time?

Do you QT the fish? or just treat the whole tank?

You can use both at the same time. But dosage can get tricky doing so (with water changes). I usually use a lower level salt 0.2% for finrot.

I have also found fins caused by stress or something miscellaneous heal up in just good old perfect water and an extra vitamin C boost.

If he is hiding and stressed by the other fish I would QT him to treat BUT only if you can transfer media and get an instant cycle in the QT first.

Let us know what you do and what works for you!

You can use both at the same time. But dosage can get tricky doing so (with water changes). I usually use a lower level salt 0.2% for finrot.

I have also found fins caused by stress or something miscellaneous heal up in just good old perfect water and an extra vitamin C boost.

If he is hiding and stressed by the other fish I would QT him to treat BUT only if you can transfer media and get an instant cycle in the QT first.

Let us know what you do and what works for you!

I will let you know what happens.

So far im just going with the salt and rearranging roots/plants this weekend.

He is not hiding from anyone, but seems very happy :)

Just letting you guys know....Buller's seems to be healing just fine. :)

I still think his wild nature is causing the ripped fins, but i have rearranged the tank a little.

There is now less chance of him getting wedged between hard items.