Desperate To Rehome 1 Fish :-(

Guest aneng

Hi,

I've got a single Goldie, about 9" long, in a 48" x 14" x 12" tank indoors, and he's grown too big for the tank. It's upsetting seeing him with so little room to swim about. I've tried everywhere to get him a bigger home so he can stretch his fins, but nobody wants him :-(

I've tried both botanical gardens (with indoor ponds) in a 20 mile radius, I've tried on the Practical Fishkeeping magazine forums, my local aquarium shop (who suggested putting him into the dirty polluted pond outside their shop !), I've emailed two 'fish rescue' organisations (neither replied) and two local aquarist clubs - who didn't reply either.

I'm out of ideas. Winter will soon be upon us, so I can't really put him in an outside pond - even if I had one, or could find someone that has.

I'm getting pretty desperate here... I'm willing to drive a long way with him to find him a good home (I'm in South Wales, but I'll take him anywhere if I have to). He's in perfect health, and always has been.

Here he is..... Can anyone please help ??? Heated pond ? Big tank ? Any suggestions at all ?? Thanks..

Image210.jpg

Edited by aneng

Wow, he's such a beauty, Aneng!:) I wish I could get him but I live on the other side of the world (Asia to be more precise).:( I could do my part for you though by linking this thread to some forums if you want. Please let me know if you'd like my help.:)

Oh wow! He's so pretty! I imagine that if my single tails made a baby, it would look like that (but mine are both boys, so no babies)

I'm in the U.S., so I can't take him :( I wish I could though.

Awww. He is a beautiful fish! Do you have any local Classifieds or Buy/Sell/Trade forums in your area?? Sometimes listing it's size in your ad title helps to peak people's interest because lots of people are looking for larger fish as a show peices for their tank without going through the time it takes to grow them to that size themselves. Pictures can sometimes be difficult to judge a fish's size. Also, its important to mention that the fish is healthy and the reason that you are giving it away.

I wish you the best of luck finding him a good home. :heart

Sorry I can't offer a home.

You might have to gradually get him use to colder water ready for him to go outside in someones pond eventually.

I don't know if any of these are near you but there are always alot of people offering to rehome goldfish and koi on this site although they will still probably be outside ponds.

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/koi_goldfish_ponds.php

Thanks for all the nice comments. Unfortunately, he's still "swimming" up and down his 48 inch tank. Everyone seems terrified of this 'KHV' virus (I think it's called that anyway). I'm even considering getting a larger tank until next summer, when I can hopefully find him an outdoor pond. God knows I can't afford to buy a larger tank right now, but I don't know what else I can do. :( I can't watch him suffering in that small space for another six months. :(

You could try getting a kiddie pool for him, they're relatively cheap and can hold a surprising amount of water. It could be a temporary solution until your pond or until someone takes him off your hands.

you don't need to get rid of your fish, invest in a rubbermaid stock tank. here's a 70 gallon for $129.99 US, or you could get a 300 gallon for $251.89 US. simply measure the tank size that you want to buy and look around your house or outside for a proper place to put it. good luck on your search for a new home.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NWCJS6

http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=335193&click=2744

• 3 months later...

Hi ! - Back again !

Can anyone tell me what type of goldfish he is please ?

I've found someone who has a 1500 gallon pond, about 2 and half feet deep, with Koi in it, but I'm worried that my fish will be too cold come the next winter. I know he'll have several months (i.e. the summer and autumn) to adjust, but I need to be sure that whatever my type of goldfish is, he can cope with a pond that will likely freeze over occasionally next winter. He's used to being in an indoor tank no colder than 60 deg F - AND used to being fed every day. The chap who has offered to take him does have a lovely pond and an indoor tank with Malawi's in - I have no worries about his ability to care for his fish - but I know he doesn't feed the Koi for 4 months over winter, and I've kinda got attached to my goldie... and I worry if I miss a day feeding him... never mind four months !!

Will he be ok in with the Koi - or should I be thinking about getting a bigger tank and keeping him ?

Am I being a soft fool ? :-)

Hi ! - Back again !

Can anyone tell me what type of goldfish he is please ?

I've found someone who has a 1500 gallon pond, about 2 and half feet deep, with Koi in it, but I'm worried that my fish will be too cold come the next winter. I know he'll have several months (i.e. the summer and autumn) to adjust, but I need to be sure that whatever my type of goldfish is, he can cope with a pond that will likely freeze over occasionally next winter. He's used to being in an indoor tank no colder than 60 deg F - AND used to being fed every day. The chap who has offered to take him does have a lovely pond and an indoor tank with Malawi's in - I have no worries about his ability to care for his fish - but I know he doesn't feed the Koi for 4 months over winter, and I've kinda got attached to my goldie... and I worry if I miss a day feeding him... never mind four months !!

Will he be ok in with the Koi - or should I be thinking about getting a bigger tank and keeping him ?

Am I being a soft fool ? :-)

I definitely think he is big enough to cope with a pond! Also by the time next winter comes around he will probably be as big as the koi is he's in a pond. Fish seem to really thrive in there xxx

The reason the guy doesn't feed his fish in the winter is becasue as the temperature drops they move less using less energy and so needing less food, which does show he knows what he is doing, plus in a general pond they find there own food unless it is very heavily stocked.

Your fish is a standard comet and is definatly hardy enough to go in a pond and if done when it is warmer the temperature will drop slowly on a pond that size so he will just get use to it.

He will be fine with the Koi and will probably grow pretty big himself gvent he extra space to do so.

Edited by hpsauce

Volume wise, your tank seems to be fine, 35 gallons with one fish, so to me it looks like the problem is that your tank is only 12" wide. If you really don't want to part with him, the pond does sound a sweet deal for him, have you looked at getting a squarer tank so there's more width space for him to turn? You could have it in the middle of a room with no background on so you can see through all the sides, a much nicer centre piece than a table and less likely to collect clutter ;) Just a thought, when you said a 4ft tank was too small I was thinking 'what?! why?!' but then saw the dimensions and it clicked. Alternatively look for a stock tank, a big heavy duty box type affair for an indoor 'pond' if you want to keep him and have the space.

Wow! I have a big ole Comet in my 90 gal tank & I WISH I could find a person with a pond that was knowledgeable like your guy sounds! I would definitely go for that deal. It sounds perfect!!