Low Kh,Dropping Ph

Anielynn

My ph out of the tap is 7.6. Kh is 0ish. 1 drop blue,2nd drop yellow. After the water ages 24 hours ph is still 7.6. So i add buffer. About 1/4 teaspoon to a five gallon bucket. So it sits another 24 hours and i do a 100 percent water change for my betta. 2 1/2 gallon tank. Starts out at the 7.6 within an hour i am at 7.2. So i add another 1/8 of a teaspoon. Another hour 7.2. I would just leave it at 7.2 but he jerks alot when it is dropping that is how i can tell it is going on. Plus when it is time for the next water change the water is 7.6 or sometimes even higher. I can't use coral or anything like that because it takes too long. This has totally not been an issue in my goldies tanks. It stays set. Or i think it does. I guess i need to test it.lol. But they are happy and healthy so far with our regular routine so maybe i don't want to know.

The ideal pH level is around 7.6 (goldfish and bettas). Most fish will adapt just fine to any pH as long as it's maintained and managed at a constant pH level for your fish, rather than trying to adjust it to "perfect levels" because doing so will cause unnecessary stress your fish and you will always be bouncing the pH up and down trying to stabilise searching for the perfect pH. This will cause unnecessary stress on your fish and could kill him, so just keep it stable and he'll be fine.

I'm not sure if i answered what you were saying or i confused myself :unsure:

That is the problem it isn't stable. I would be happy with 7.6 or 7.2 or 8.0 for that matter,lol. But it moves around. What is the ideal kh? Maybe that is my problem.I will test that again later and post it.

note..I guess my first post sounds like i am trying to drop my ph but i am not. I am trying to make the ph stick at 7.6. For some reason when it is in my bucket it holds. Then when i put it in the tank it starts dropping. Within minutes. It's weird.

Edited by Anielynn70

Well I looked around and found this;

pH in an aquarium will gradually lower (become more acidic) due to the biological processes at work in the tank. If the water has a pH buffer capability (due to the hardness) it will prevent the pH from lowering until such time as the buffering capacity is reached, then the pH will drop significantly because there is nothing to prevent this. But if your hardness is minimal such that there is no effective buffering, the pH lowering will be slow, not sudden.

water chemistry

not sure if this helps but you might find something... ;)

I'm puzzled by this. Good luck, hopefully someone comes along soon.

Do you have many plants in your tank, if any?

I am stumped myself. I age water in a bucket with an airstone trying my best to simulate the tank. But still when i add water to my tank (even a brand new clean tank the ph drops.

My kh was 2. By adding "buff it up" I have gotten it up to 5. Is this about where it needs to be?

Edited by Anielynn70

• Admin

Hun.....okay your KH is 0 out of the tap?

the you add how much Buff it up to get it to 5?

Also I would highly suggest trying to get your KH up with buff it up in a rubber maid container if your KH is at 0 since you will need to figure out how much to add in a gal of water to get the KH up to 100 pmm. :o

My tap water is actually 35kh. And i had been using a 5 gallon bucket. I had used an 1/8 teaspoon 3 times and i thought it was holding. So i did my water changes. Well it didn't hold. So i had to start adding 1/8s to the tanks. So in other words i am not too sure how much i added to get it there. The next time i do the water changes i am going to make sure to get the kh up completely before i do those water changes. Thanks for the kh number. It's like when you are trying to find something you need it is no where to be found.