Old Newbie

Guest afb2001

I am new to this forum. Twelve years ago my son won 8 goldfish at the county fair throwing ping pong balls into tiny bowls. We had them for several months; then I put in a filter and the next day all but the littlest one were dead. I got rid of the filter and have had the one survivor these many years in a large tank with no filter. From time to time, every month or so, I would put the fish in a bowl and scrub out the tank totally, put in new water, put the fish back in. Fir the past five or six tears she had a little bug-eyed friend fish. She became all over silver and grew to about six inches long. Suddenly a few weeks ago her friend died and she became lethargic and wouldn't eat. I thought she was depressed so I bought three little fish to keep her company. Then I saw she had red spots on her and I learned for the first time ever about ammonia poisoning and nitrites and tank cycling. I added salt to the water which seemed to help hugely. She revived for several days but now seems a little poorly again; her tail is reddish at the ends and one of the little fish keeps nibbling on it. Should I take him out of the tank? Maybe she was sitting really still so he wouldn't keep chewing on her, not because she was sick... Today I get the tank a filter and all the fish seem excited, but that same blasted little one keeps going after the big one. I don't know why she thrived all those years and is now suddenly at risk. I am open to advice.

To me it sounds like your fish is suffering from ammonia poisoning/burns and that's what's caused the red spots/streaks in tail (which are blood streaks). The fact that your fish isn't eating and is acting "depressed" is a good sign off that. I would do a 30-40% water change now, then 15-20% a day until the spots clear up, this will affect your other fish as well if this is not treated. Also give the gravel a good clean, check your filter is working and give it a clean, and add possibly a general bacterial treatment.

Also use ammonia lock, aquarium salt, stress coat, and stress zyme. If possible.

The ammonia build up may be caused by excess waste and lack of water changes and due to overcrowding in the tank (ammonia does become a big problem), the rule of thumb is 10 gallons per goldfish as they can grow very big and produce a huge amount of waste.

It would be really helpful if you could put a picture up to help us tell what it exactly is, but red spots sounds like Ammonia burns and poor water quality. It's important to treat it before they become open sores. As this does kill goldfish if untreated.

It would be helpful if you could fill out this (or whatever you can fill out of it);

[*]Test Results for the Following as this would help to give you better advice and help:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by Powerdragon