Goldfishs Twisted Tail

Guest Vari

Hei guys.

I got a new goldfish yesterday. Or more like - I saved him from painful death...

This is the story:

His last owner didn't want him anymore and was about to give the poor little fish to his piranhas for a "play". I just couldn't let that happen. He didn't want this fish because he says it has a defect - it's tail! I took the goldfish despite his tail problem. But now I have one question - I don't know how old the fish is, but will the tail fix itself when fish grows bigger or will he have this misshaped tail 'till the rest of his life? I'm just curious. I don't know how he got this "defect", but the owner gave him to me as he was. He said he had that fish for months and it didn't go better so he decided to "get rid of it".

ryu1j.jpg

The tail is in that position all the time, as if the tail-bone (I don't know how to call it properly) is twisted somehow.

Does anyone has any experience as such? What do you think? Will the tail fix itself when the fish grows bigger or will it have it's "unusual" tail for the rest of his life?

I was thinking that i should call him Lucky :D . He doesn't know how close he was to be a toy for 7 piranhas that his previous owner loves so much.

edit: oh, yes, I now have 5 goldfishes in 240-liter (~64 gallon) tank.

Edited by Vari

It looks like a permanent defect to me and is genetically related. He'll have it for the rest of his life but it may not bother him so much other than for aesthetic reasons if he is swimming just fine.

I 2nd it's a permanent life defect you can't stop genetics. I'm glad you saved him and as long as he is swimming and happy, it's a long happy road ahead.

The LFS i go to near me has a Pleco that has a broken/twisted spine that only use its front fins to swim with which makes it really slow. But the guy said they have had it for 5-10 years (can't remember its exact age) and is in excellent nick and obviously isn't for sale as the guy loves it to much and has put a lot of hard work in to give the fish an easy life. I might take a pic the next time I go there.

Edited by Powerdragon

Oh yeah, that's just a genetic malformation. I see fishies like that every once in a while, it's really not uncommon. Even aside from it he is a very pretty happy looking fish, so congratulations on your new special buddy.

I have a special buddy myself and he's my FAVOOOOORITE fish. He's my calico fantail, with out the fantail. He was born with only half of his fantail, so techniocally he has a single tail, but it's off to one side and curves at the top towards center where it would meet the other half if it were there. He has greater speed over the other fancies because of it and keeps up with the commons rather nicely.

He's defective, and had he not gone under the radar I'm sure he would have been culled (heartbreak for me) but I love him, and he has excellent quality of life, and is actually quite a ballsy little punk :yeah:

It's horrible that person wanted to feed that pretty fantail to his piranhas just because he was "defective." It's great that you were there to save the little guy though, I'm sure if he knew what his fate could have been, he'd be grateful.

One of my fry (Ramen) has a tail that looks EXACTLY like that. He's about six months old and hasn't grown to even half the size of his siblings. Ramen can't swim as fast so I have to take extra care to make sure he gets his fair share of food. Good luck with your new fish :) He/She looks lovely!

Its definately permanent. I took in two no longer wanted goldies because the kids who had them were fed up with them.

The common I took in has a kink in his tail which is permanent. Then these two poor guys I took in had spent 3 years living in a bowl. Now they have spent 2 years in fish heaven in a 40 gallon tank :)

Hei.

Thank you all for the feedback.

So I know s/he'll be special 'till the rest of its life and I'm not planning on giving it away. He's just so sweet, looks like a shark :lol1 when swimming from right to left and I think it's so cute... S/he's very little yet so I don't know if it's a She or a He.

I talked to the previous owner about the fish (since I know the guy a little). He's a big fan of Oscars and Piranhas (has both in biiiiig tanks at home), but the goldfishes were his ex girlfriends fish which she didn't want to take along when they broke up recently. So he thought he'll "execute" the ugly one and keeps the pretty one (alone!) and now he wants to get rid of the other one too... So after some convincing he gave me his other goldfish too. Told me to find a new owner for it myself or keep it, he doesn't care really.

So now, unexpectedly, I got not one but TWO new goldfishes for my aquarium :o

Not sure what I'll do with the other one, maybe find a new owner.. maybe not.. I'm not sure how well 6 goldfishes fit in 64gal (240L) aquarium. Well they fit in it right now, but they'll grow huge :D

Oh, managed to take a shot of the New-Guy (at most front):

PICT0209.JPG

It's brother,"Lucky a.k.a Shark", is at the back with his tail.

Here's almost all my fishes, only Blue-eye is missing (he has the biggest blue eyes I have ever seen on a fish :D )