Soft-Bellied Starbuck

uberleslie

Yeah, that is basically what I figured with Quasi. I had thought about it for a long while and it seems that it hurts me more to see her that way than she is really in pain herself. Quasi also does the perking up when it's feeding time, so it seems like she's really just handicapped, but has not lost her luster for life. :)

She does get spots on her fins and sides every now and then from bottom sitting, but that really just keeps me on the dot for my water changes. :)

I took pictures yesterday of Quasi. I'll post them sometime tonight (I hope.)

:heart all the best wishes for Starbuck! :wub:

*sigh* So things took a turn for the crappy this morning. I woke up late and was furiously getting ready and the fish feeding was my last stop out the door. Starbuck was wedged between the airstone and the corner of the tank and was barely moving. I got her out of the corner and dropped some food in front of her...no interest whatsoever. Very shallow gill movement. I noticed that there was a lot of debris in the bottom of the tank, so I think something might have gone wrong with the filter -- but I honestly didn't have time to investigate or test the water and I was sick yesterday, so things might have gone wrong then, but I didn't notice. I know my temp and pH are matched between her QT tank and the main tank, so I just fished her out and put her back in the main tank. I probably waited 10 minutes to acclimate her -- I know I needed to wait about triple that, but I didn't have time. Once she was in the main tank she was barely moving -- again, very slight gill movement, but that was it.

I'm not looking forward to going home today...I'm afraid she won't make it. cry3.gif

Gah. Well, I'm home. Starbuck is alive, but not doing well. I tested the water in the QT tank. Ammonia was at 2. Looks like my negligence is the culprit. UGH.

So she's back in the main tank, which has a strong cycle. I actually need to do a big water change because my nitrates are hovering around 40. UGH.

But that will have to wait a bit as I have to purchase a new hood for my 20 gallon right now. One of my cats thought it would be an awesome idea to stand on it, and push it into the tank. Water everywhere when I got home and a VERY stressed Fisher who is missing about 5 scales (from thrashing and being trapped in an area smaller than half his tank, I'm assuming).

Triple UGH.

I'm having a bad fish day. :(

Quick update: Just went all in and bought a new tank yesterday for Fisher. He was already cramped in his 20 gallon, so I got a 29. He's loving it. By the time I got that set up, broke down his 20 and the QT 10, I was spent. So when I got home today I did a water change on the 'fancy' tank (w/Starbuck, Kenobi, Sephie). Starbuck was definitely showing the signs of ammonia burn. Couple black spots, but mostly blood-red streaks and scales. So I salted that tank 1tsp/gal. Hopefully that will help her. She did express interest in food tonight (didn't this morning) and I think she got about 3 ProGold pellets in her.

Whew.

Another update: Fisher is loving his 29 gallon. I'm under-filtered on it at the moment (Emperor 280), but he seems to be okay.

Starbuck is improving somewhat. I did a w/c on Wednesday and another on Sunday -- just want to keep the nitrates down. I'm still salting 1tsp/gal. I noticed a bit on Sunday that Sephie and Kenobi are sorta nipping at Starbuck. Not in an aggressive way, but sorta how they suck on rocks, etc. Just like she's an inantimate object that's tasty. I'm thinking this is slowing the healing of her scales and fin...but there's really not too much I can do about it. They seemed to simmer down with it after I did the water change. Who knows.

Starbuck is responding to food quite well, so that's good. I think I just need to keep the nitrates really low in the tank and see if that helps. I'll probably discontinue salt after the next water change (I'm thinking Friday?).

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap, Starbuck is floaty today. I have not seen her like this in months.

She's been back in the 29 gallon with Sephie and Kenobi and she's been doing pretty good. She typically sits on her side or upside-down most of the day, but she's been back to swimming around and being goofy before and after feedings.

But now she's floating. This morning she was bobbing around the top, but now she's sorta suspended mid-tank. How weird.

I'm going to fast tonight and tomorrow, I think. And then try to feed peas for a couple days and see what happens.

On one hand, I don't want her floaty. But on the other, I sorta feel a little optimistic - like, maybe her swim bladder isn't 'popped' or something. And the floating kinda gives the irritation on her sides a break.

The Starbuck Saga never ends. :doh11: