I Know Goldies Poo Alot But This Is Ridiculous!

jennybugs

A little update. The mega poops continue but only with Curly. I am going to cut down the amount I feed them every other day to see if that helps. I am now questioning if the 'pinch' I give them is too much.

I had a white airbubble filled mega poop from Curly yesterday but was relieved to find it's just her reabsorbing eggs :krazy::doh11:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so happy to find this thread, which is pretty weird. I have a fish in QT that is just destroying the QT tank with mega poops. I've never seen her without a poop as big as she is swimming along with her. So that is it...no food for her for three days. I hope this helps.

Well mine are on extreme minimal feeding now as Roger was fine after the fasting and pea feasting, but Curly still produces mega poops :doh11:

I can't feed them any less than I do now. I'll be reported for fish cruelty :unsure:

Typically it's hard to get a good picture of "healthy" poop since it doesn't trail on the fish. Healthy poop is usually in short chunks around 1cm to 1in or so and is the color of the food they eat.

Trailing poo is usually what is easier to photograph since it's there hanging on the fish's behind. :)

Trailing poo can mean lots of things. :) For most of us who keep good water, good temps, varied foods... it may just mean something as simple as overfeeding. :)

Well I keep good water, give them a varied diet of veg and protein and stable temps of 20 degrees due to keeping a heater in the tank for preventing nighttime lows.

I feed them the same amounts and every other day as my other tank and it's only 2 fish in one tank that have mega poops. None of the others do :doh11:

In fact it's just one fish that has the trailers now - Curly the opera singing fish - and not Roger Moor who had the problem originally.

As I say, I can't feed them any less than I do now, I really can't :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe the poop problem is the Hikari pellets?

After 2 days of feeding hikari and progold pellets ALL my fish got constipated.

Here on day 3 the still make long poops and on day 1 i could tell my Tvilsen was feeling pretty bad.

She hid in a plant all day.

She seems to be recovering though.

• 1 month later...

Just caught up with this and find that to be an interesting thought. My goldies don't seem to be having quite such a time with their toilet habits now even though they still have the Hikari food, but I do give them more bloodworm and veggies too so maybe that's helped.

I haven't found another dry food that doesn't make my calico oranda go floaty, so I tend to stick with the Hikari for her. She's the only one who didn't have long poops in this tank.