Worms?

Guest lillyorchid

Guest lillyorchid

This past month I've been fighting with there inch worm like things in my apple snail tank. They are everywhere! I clean the tank and all and next day there are itty bitty larva on the glass again, in days they are all grown. I do not know what these things are, hpw tp get rid of them with out hurting my apple snails.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4836&g2_serialNumber=1

Edited by lillyorchid

If you are overfeeding, that would be the cause. Oftentimes, these worms seem to appear in tanks where food supply is quite abundant and maintenance is very inadequate (not saying yours is). They are planaria to me.

I have to agree that it looks like planaria. Planaria are a type of flatworm that is found present in tanks that have a lot of uneaten food in the gravel. At the first sign of these little wormy things, you should be looking at how much you are feeding and how well are you stirring the gravel when you are performing water changes.

Planaria live off of bits of uneaten food. They are harmless in moderation, but when you start to see them effortlessly and in large numbers, you have to think about your water quality and the oxygen levels in your tank as they can become affected.

My advice to you would be to do some major water changes involving lots of gravel stirring with your gravel vacuum until you see a difference in the numbers of these worms and are able to get the population reduced to next to nothing. This might take two weeks of daily water changes and gravel aggitation. If it is a snail only tank, the addition of a planarian loving fish might help. A betta, assuming it doesn't bug your snails (and don't have other fish already), can be a great short term solution to help you clean up some of the population. For a long term solution, frequent water changes done on a regular basis with lots of gravel agitation. And please watch your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates during this process. :)

Good luck!!

Guest lillyorchid

I can't really stir up the gravel because this is my baby snail tank, I have about 100+ itty bitty baby apple snails all over it right now. I think a Beta would pick on them or kill them. Would a cory fish pair be a better "cleaning helper" for my snail tank.

Since the snails are so small, the cory cats will probably eat them (along with almost any other bottom feeder you place in there since they're opportunistic eaters) I'd think a beta would go after the planaria before it touched the snails just because they're easier to eat and digest than something with a hard shell. You may just need to end up taking out as many snails as you can manage and then do a 100% water change with extreme gravel vacuuming, and maybe baking the gravel just to be sure they're all gone before adding the snails back in, then just cutting down how much you feed.

I can't really stir up the gravel because this is my baby snail tank, I have about 100+ itty bitty baby apple snails all over it right now. I think a Beta would pick on them or kill them. Would a cory fish pair be a better "cleaning helper" for my snail tank.

Cories are not going to do a whole lot of cleanup for this because they are bottom feeders. Because the worms have navigated their way up the side of the tank, you will need a fish that is going eat at any level. I have to agree with Aiklin, you need to remove as many snails as possible and do some gravel stirring, otherwise the planaria and decay in the gravel is going to overrun your tank. What about removing the gravel altogether, little bits at a time while you scooop out babies. Maintanance would be much easier without gravel going forward. And you would be able to see all of your babies. :heart

The last time I had this problem with these worms, I did a 25% water change, scrubbed of the worms from the walls, cleaned filter (they get in there to), quick gravel vac and finally employed 4 or more male guppies depending on tank size(don't give yourself more problems with females :D). I was suprised guppies did the job, or goldfish (although they may eat the snail as well). Also you can trap the worms to control their numbers until you can gravel vac. You can use a cup and put some lettuce or cucumber in their, which did the job for me (could also attract your snails). Your snails are kind of blocking you from ridding the worms atm, so just manage them until they grow I guess.