Anyone Here Keep Trumpet Snails?

kshepherd87

I recently gained some Malaysian Trumpet Snails (they were in a tank I bought on ebay) and am a little clueless about their needs :blink: I've been warned against putting them in my tanks as they reproduce like crazy so they're in a big glass container at the moment with some gravel and veggie gel food every couple of days. Do any of you keep MTS? Is there anything specific I need to do/feed?

I keep four kinds of trumpets. The three are very prolific. You can feed them just about anything as these are undemanding. The last one, Melanoides loebbeckei is undemanding but they never bred for me. They were simply caught in Siaton River of the Philippines.:) The common MTS came from various shops and friends for free.

Nothing at all. They will just eat and reproduce. Definitely don't put any in your tank, and if you ever do decide to get rid of them, just put them outside. Do not do something "nice" and put them in a pond or lake, because they will ruin the ecosystem already in place there.

Norm

Edited by acenorm

Thanks for you help! I'll just give them fresh water and some veggie gel food every few days then. If I'm completely honest I'd like to give them to someone else who'd have use for them in their tank, I keep asking all my friends with tropical tanks if they'd like some free snails!! Trumpet snails seem to be generally seen as a bit of a pest from the reactions I've got though.