Filter Out-Flow Question

Guest say_wut

Guest say_wut

im always on the lookout to make a better filter for my pond. i found some really big and cheap rubbermaid containers today. thinking about making another filter :D. anyways i always made the outflow as 1 big hole so the water flows through fast and strong and doesnt overflow the container. now i was wondering instead of 1 big hole, would drilling alot of smaller holes work? because i know generally small water streams make less noise, and i dont want too much water noise coming from it, right now i have the water flowing onto a big tipped over clay pot to drown out the noise. would the smaller holes make it so its less noise but just as much aeration and flow?

Hi there,

I don't have much experience with this kind of thing myself, but here's my two cents: if you're adding additional holes, aside from the big one you have now, the flow-through should be at least as high as it is now. I'm not sure about the noise (but it seems reasonable that the amount of noise would be lowered this way), but I think that adding holes might have a beneficial effect on aeration. It all depends of course on how the water flow currently hits the water surface. If it's similar to a typical waterfall, with lots of splashing, then that would lead to go aeration, in which case I'm not sure whether adding holes would increase aeration (though I wouldn't expect it to decrease it). If the water flow currently hits the water surface without much splashing, then adding holes should greatly increase the aeration compared to now.

Hopes this helps a bit :) .

Cheers

Alain

Can you post some picture of what your thinking for a system, perhaps then it will be easier to suggest ways to keep it quiet.

I have some experience with sump's, dealing with noise that way, maby if its along the same lines i can chip in 2 cents. just gotta get an idea of what your setting up.

Guest say_wut

really garbage pic on painshop but here it is. see i got the pump in the pond pumping water into a tube that goes to the top of the rubbermaid container and into a spray bar that sprays the water onto a filter pad then flows onto scrubbies as bio media, and than theres gonna be large gravel at the bottom for more bacteria, but you can see the holes i plan on putting in there, water will flow out and into the pond with gravity.

filterdesign.jpg

really garbage pic on painshop but here it is. see i got the pump in the pond pumping water into a tube that goes to the top of the rubbermaid container and into a spray bar that sprays the water onto a filter pad then flows onto scrubbies as bio media, and than theres gonna be large gravel at the bottom for more bacteria, but you can see the holes i plan on putting in there, water will flow out and into the pond with gravity.

i get the idea. are your holes your going to make just holes, or are you going to run a hose or something into the pond? if so, submerging the hoses about 1 inch below the pond water level would keep that quiet(you could always hide them with plants).

another question with that is, if your pond pump quit's or the power goes out, all the water would run into the pond... is that going to overflow your pond? and would that mater if it does overflow?

if you submerged the tube above the filter pad, that would make that quiet- but then if the power went out it could siphon some water back to the pond (theres a way around this)

Edited by Snider82

Guest say_wut

overflowing really doesnt matter because i have my pond water level about a foot under the max water level. it can hand another 80-100g than what i have in the pond (about 500). no i dont plan on having a hose from the holes, i feel like if i use a hose from the outlets, it wont make as much aeration. as the moment my filter has 1 big hole and it pours water at a strong rate (lots of noise) but i placed a clay pot sticking an inch above the water so the outflow runs into the pot. it really does a good job at removing the noise, all you hear is trickle, and it makes alotta small bubbles instead of big bubbles (small bubbles gives better aeration). but if i make it so its little holes but alot of them im wondering if i would still need something to block the water like the pot? note the water drops about 1ft before it reaches the pond water level.

basically the filter fill flow water out like the filter in this thread...this filter....

i just dont want the water to pour in making alot of noise.

ah, i see. i didn't think about the aeration. that will definitely still be noisy... its worth a try, and maby post your results.. if it works better. but without having something for the water to run down, or with a 1 food drop your definitely going to get noise.

i say just try it, whats a rubber made worth? I'm sure its worth the experiment. maby try using a filter pad to reduce the noise.. or a bunch of clay plates :)

Guest say_wut

you know what, that sounds best, just try it out. ive got an idea though if it still makes alota noise....ill buy some rocks and make it into a trickling waterfall! now im kinda hoping it makes noise.. :yeah:

you know what, that sounds best, just try it out. ive got an idea though if it still makes alota noise....ill buy some rocks and make it into a trickling waterfall! now im kinda hoping it makes noise.. :yeah:

sounds like i great idea. u could probably hide the rubbermaid with a rock wall or something. keep us posted

sounds like i great idea. u could probably hide the rubbermaid with a rock wall or something. keep us posted

I bet you could make a really great project out of that idea! Maybe you could glue rocks and sand to the rubbermaid so that it is not so obviously a rubbermaid and then build a structure of rocks that kind of enelopes the rubbermaid so that it kind sits into the middle of it maybe??

Guest say_wut

whenever i have some time ill go looking for rocks and stuff. i have a 3ft vertical rock wall on 1 side of my pond so ill probably place the rubbermaid next to it and place rocks over and around it. im thinking when i get the rocks to be all around it good, ill glue or cement them to stay that way to like have a frame for the rubbermaid to slide in, and than the top will be loose lighter rocks like feather rock/stone. it should look nice but i gotta find a place to buy those rocks first

sounds like an awesome plan. just watch when using cement/glue. assuming this rock will be in contact with your fish water, u really should let it soak in water and watch the PH levels. the chemicals in the glue/cement will discharge out and can be harmful. you can do water changes to speed up the "curing" process. when your glue/cement is safe, you will get a PH reading same as your tap water.

in the beginning of the curing process first check your tap water PH, then soak the rocks.

watch for a spike in PH so that you know that the posses has started.

keep changing the water and checking PH until your readings are consistently the same.

and there ya go :) fish safe rock.

Guest say_wut

actually im going to attach another "drawing" of how its gonna look. NOTE it will look WAY more natural instead of a perfectly straight walls. but the pink rocks that will be part of the waterfall is the only rocks that i plan on letting the water touch. so cement, will be used to hold the frame the put the filter in, but the waterfall rocks will be held together will waterfall foam spray/sealant. should work out fine. filterdraw.jpg