The Evolution Of The 45

~SHAWNA~

I have had this tank for over 3 years now. I can't get over the changes that it has seen - ending in a move from fresh to salt too! The closer it got to the final result, the better I liked it. I know that Im missing a few steps tho because i know I had it with a black bacrkound at one point too.

We will be selling this tank as soon as Brent's 90 is up and running. :)

Red Gravel = Blah!

100_0339.jpg

Red gravel and Red plants = More Blah! I thought it was awesome tho when I had it. :P

June27pics046.jpg

Changed the gravel to Dark Blue - not as bad.

004.jpg

Turqoise gravel and backround - my favorite color, and the simplest (and my favorite) decorating scheme of all.

CornerBlueTank.jpg

Tank gone Salty. :)

08_15_09012.jpg

Very cool!

And SO interesting!

I wish now that I was more diligent with taking pictures. Then I could make a montage like this!

I want a saltwater setup so bad. Is it hard to maintain?

The SW is my setup. and I've still alot to learn about SW. SW "can" be hard to maintain.. and in the beginning it defiantly difficult. its can (depends on what you want) be expensive to get setup and there are ALOT of options out there. theres also ways to make SW very easy to maintain.

if you ever do start up a SW tank, post on the marine forum, and i will try my best to help out along with anyone else here that knows SW. I'm thinking about writing up a post of my general knowledge of SW that people can add to.

Don't get discouraged about SW and all the new info/stuff you need, there is alot of help out there. And i would always be willing to answer questions or research things i don't know to help out.

I would explain in more detail, but i dont want to hi-jack this thread lol.

I want a saltwater setup so bad. Is it hard to maintain?

The SW is my setup. and I've still alot to learn about SW. SW "can" be hard to maintain.. and in the beginning it defiantly difficult. its can (depends on what you want) be expensive to get setup and there are ALOT of options out there. theres also ways to make SW very easy to maintain.

if you ever do start up a SW tank, post on the marine forum, and i will try my best to help out along with anyone else here that knows SW. I'm thinking about writing up a post of my general knowledge of SW that people can add to.

Don't get discouraged about SW and all the new info/stuff you need, there is alot of help out there. And i would always be willing to answer questions or research things i don't know to help out.

I would explain in more detail, but i dont want to hi-jack this thread lol.

Thats ok hunny, hi-jack away. :P

From an observer's point of view, I see it as only being one extra step different from freshwater maintanance, which is the mixing and heating of the water. As Brent said, it can be expensive, especially to start, and the initial maintanance can be be difficult, but no different than when we all started freshwater. :) For me, words like "protein skimmer", "sump", "powerhead", etc. scared me so much! Its actually not so bad tho. Brent is always telling me about something new and exciting that he discovered. Its quite fascinating to hear about.

lol. yea, there is alot to consider. with water changes u should mix the salt water the day before ( i haven't been and should be) but once u have the skimmer and an established tank, with the right setup u really only have to change water once a month. the only reason to change it in this case is for new salt. the salt you buy help fight phosphates, buffers PH and Calcium, and probably other stuff i don't know about yet lol.

Hey, I love red gravel! But I'm really into tacky aquariums (my 29 gallon has a pirate theme, and my new 46 is all about tikis, with aqua gravel).

How cool that you're into saltwater now. I find it totally overwhelming anytime I try to learn about it. You give me hope!

How cool that you're into saltwater now. I find it totally overwhelming anytime I try to learn about it. You give me hope!

I take zero credit for that. It is entirely Snider82's setup and desire to start a salty tank. I just watch. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow red gravel, I've never seen red gravel before! I love the simple look with the white gravel, very pretty.

Thankyou. :) Its actually turquoise blue gravel in that last visible picture. The red gravel and the redish tipped plants were originally bought to match my red bedspread and decor when the tank sat in our bedroom. When it moved out to the living room tho, it had to go.

I see that hubby has moved around some of his pictures in photobucket so it seems to have changed the linked pictures for his marine tank.