Does Food Need To Be Cooked In Dechlorinated Water?

viking_snail

I was just thinking about making some gel food for the first time, and the thought occurred to me that all the veggies need to be boiled. Would I have to use dechlorinated water to cook them in? I don't know whether veggies can absorb any of the nasties in untreated tap water.

Thinking about it, when I boil veggies for my fish I just use straight tap water and I haven't noticed any issues - what do you do?

Thanks - I guess I'll use some water from the tank just to be on the safe side!

Here's what I plan on putting into my first lot of gel food:

Spinach

Brocolli

Peas

Carrots

Salmon/tuna - from what I've read, salmon is higher in fat but has more fatty acids in, so not sure which is best to go for

Krill

Bloodworm

Some of their normal flakes and pellets

Gelatine

Does this sound ok? I have no idea on the amounts of ingredients to use, alot of the recipes I've read are quite large and I only want to make a small amount to try it out as this will be the first lot I've made. I thought using an ice cube tray would be good for setting it in small amounts without having to cut it, and one tray would be a good amount to start with.

Ooh - one more question! :P How long will gel food last in the freezer before it goes off?

Thanks! :)

I would not use broccolis. They are gassy and unless you intend to feed these to pond type goldies, I would advise against adding broccolis on the mix.

Once you are done with preparing the mix, put the mix in the fridge (not necessarily the freezer). The freezer would only freeze the entire mix and thawing makes the gelatin messier in my experience. I use the cookie pans by the way to lay out the mix by at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

Hmm, my goldies are commons and comets - I've fed them broccolli before and they seemed to enjoy it with no ill effects. Is broccolli ok for commons?

I've read through the entire gel food topic on here, and it seems garlic is a popular ingredient. If I'm only making a small batch (around a pint maybe? I'll probably end up with more than I need!) how much garlic should I use? A quarter of a clove maybe? Or less?

Sorry for all the questions!

The hibunas and comets rarely get any swim bladder issues so it is definitely okay for them as they don't have the greatly compressed organs that the fancier types have. If these are the fish you have, go for it.:)

As for the garlic, less is much better. The allicin in garlic is far too pungent if you use too much and I am sure you would not even want to smell it after the mix is done.wink.gif

So I made my first lot of gel food today, and I don't think it went too badly as a first attempt..! I used krill, bloodworm, pellets and flakes, salmon, broccolli, lettuce, brussel sprout, carrot, green bean, peas and a tiny bit of garlic.. was that too much? :P

I'm not sure it set that well though - there was a layer of jelly on the top, and below that the mixture was set slightly, but it was a bit mushy. It was set enough to give to the fish (although it made a bit of mess) and they seemed to love it! :D

What can I do to make it set better?

You didn't mention brussel sprouts before unless I missed it but that one is gassy.ignore.gif I don't use flakes, just pellets since flakes are so messy with the mix otherwise your gel mix is fine but you could always remove brussel sprouts and flakes on the next attempt and add an acidophilus capsule on it to deal with the gas that may be produced from consuming various foods.

If your mix is settling to the bottom, your mix may be a little runny. I'd put the mix in the bowl, add another sachet of gelatin powder, stir the mix and shove it inside microwave for two minutes at medium settings.

Yeah, I thought the mixture seemed a bit runny. I'll try that next time and see if it goes any better :)

As for the sprouts, I figure as they'll onlky be getting gel food once or twice a week it would be ok, but I'll be careful how much I give them from now on :)