90 Gallon Tank

Guest Citrine

Guest Citrine

Hi,

New member here!

Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I picked up a 90 Gallon that I?m in the middle of fixing up.

I know I want to get some Comet goldfish for the tank, the question is, how many?

The problem I?m having is that I won?t have room for another tank for another 2 years. I have space for my 90 and a smaller medication/quarantine tank but that?s it. The fish I put in that 90 Gallon now need to fit in it 2 years from now. So I need to be careful about the number.

The fish are in my basement apartment, its cold here in summer and in winter, so the water will definitely be cold. I am planning on getting some 4ft shop lights with cool daylight spectrum bulbs to hang over the tank but the fish will no be getting much, if any, natural sunlight. I know how to cycle my tank, check water quality and am planning and budgeting to upgrade my filtration so hopefully there will be no water quality issues to stress the fish.

Based on this any thoughts on how fast the Comets will grow in these conditions and how many would you suggest I get?

I know it's mostly guess work but I'm trying to figure out what some reasonable guesses would be.

The second thing I was wondering about?

I was planning on getting them as small as I could and from the fish store that doesn?t overcrowd them as badly as the other stores do. After reading some of the articles on stunted fish I was wondering if it might be better to get them from an overly crowded tank.

No, I?m not suggesting deliberately stunting fish. I?m planning on getting them from feeder tanks and if an overcrowded feeder tank is more likely to produce fish that would be happier in my 90 gal in the long run I see no reason not to give those fish a good home (medical problems and all) and purchase all my other (expensive) tank needs at the more responsible store. :P

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks!

Goldfish need the same space no matter what age they are... I'd say 4 comets for a 90 gallon, or 8-9 fancies. Buying stunted fish is pointless and cruel. Treat all fish like they're adults as far as their size, plan for when they're adults.

Hello Citrine. Welcome to the Board and to the wonderful world of goldies. :)

You sound like you are off to a great start with a 90g tank.

You had mentioned that you were budgeting for a filter upgrade?? Perhaps through your research you have figured out that goldies require twice the filtration of regular fish, therefore, you may wish to under stock your tank until you have been able to upgrade. Perhaps starting with 2, and once your filtration is up just right, slowly moving up to 4. 5 is doable, assuming you keep up with maintenance and water changes, but is borderline pushing it. If you are looking to have more than that, as Kochi suggested, you may wish to go with fancy goldfish. They do not tend to get quite as large as the comets.

Best of luck. I can't wait to see pictures of that big tank of yours. You won't be disappointed with a 90! Its, in my opinion, the perfect size. :heart

Guest Citrine

You had mentioned that you were budgeting for a filter upgrade?? Perhaps through your research you have figured out that goldies require twice the filtration of regular fish, therefore, you may wish to under stock your tank until you have been able to upgrade.

Yep, I've seen 2x the normal filtration recommended and as high as 6x. I've got lots of time before that becomes an issue though as I have to finish cleaning the tank, redo the silicone and finish making the top for the stand before I can even think about starting a fishless cycle.

I do have a friend who has offered me the use of his fully cycled double filtered 20gal to hold any baby goldfish I may wish to purchase while I set up my tank. He's evil. Eeeeeevil. I have managed to resist so far.

I'm not a huge fan of fancy goldfish so I'll just have to settle for fewer fish. :)

I'm taking pictures of the tank as I clean it and will continue to take pictures as I progress and post them when it's done.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

Edited by Citrine

Is the tank glass or acrylic?

And, do you have a strand, or planning on building one?

If the tank is acrylic & you plan to build a stand?

You might think about a DIY wet/dry trickle filter.

W/D T/F's are easy to design & DIY.

Acrylic tanks are easy to drill & installing a bulkhead fitting is simple.

That way, you have a gravity feed tank overflow, that is foolproof if installed properly.

You could build the stand slightly wider & a bit taller than normal.

That way, it would be easy to design & fit a custom DIY W/D T/F in it.

Advantages of a W/D T/F are several.

Higher flow through rate than any other type filter.

Largest bio-media capacity of any filter system.

With ample bio-media, biofilter capacity expands/contacts on an as needed basis.

Maximum oxygenation of flow water.

Sump adds extra water volume capacity.

Heater, etc can be in sump, not in tank.

Very low maintenance & easy to clean.

You can keep extra & large sponge filters running in the sump.

(which gives you an instant & fully cycled filter for a QT tank, if need be)

Open cell foam d am in the sump is an excellent mechanical filter.

(simply clean it occasionally)

A LARGE capacity W/D T/F can be built inexpensively.

You can get very high quality pump on eBay, relatively inexpensively.

That will last a decade in well cared for (Danner, Iwaki, BlueLine, etc).

There are a lot of very effective types of bio-media you can purchase cheaply.

I run a large W/D T/F on a 100G show tank & can stock it far past any recommended stocking rate around.

With 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia, great water quality & clarity. Fish are fat, happy & healthy.

More info if you want it.

Guest Citrine

Is the tank glass or acrylic?

Glass

And, do you have a strand, or planning on building one?

I have a set of heavy duty shelves (1500lbs per shelf) that will hold the tank. The two units side by side are 6ft long. I am water proofing all the shelving and then putting a 3/4 inch plywood top across the full 6ft span. After that comes the fun of making sure everything is level and stays level.

You might think about a DIY wet/dry trickle filter.

It is one of the things I am considering.

I run a large W/D T/F on a 100G show tank & can stock it far past any recommended stocking rate around.

I know water quality is an issue with goldfish but I'm also worried about swimming space. It wouldn't be fair to stick a koi in my tank even if I could maintain perfect water quality. It just wouldn't have enough room to swim comfortably. I have the same concern with the comets. I want then to have enough swim space which is why I'm trying to get some feedback on how large they are likely to be in 2 years.

More info if you want it.

I'll take you up on that later if you don't mind? If I start talking about DIY filters right now I'll never finish any of the other projects I need to get done :)

Thanks for the information!