Small Fry?

Dannycarlbatt

I have had my fry for 11 months now s/he is half shubunkin half common so has funny eyes lol. Is this small for his age? He recently got moved from a 8 gallon (which houses a 2 inch fantail) into my 24 gallon. He is very lively at the moment, so i havn't been able to take any clear pics.

2009-08-29-55606.jpg

Fry Yawning ^

Mytank.jpg

Aquariam, fry on for right ^

How do you resize pic on here, it wont let me :(

Edited by Mr shubunkin

I have four fry that are all siblings and the same age and the size differences between them are huge! The biggest is more than five times the size of the smallest. They've all been housed together since they were eggs and so I chock it up to different temperaments and genetics. The most biggest one is the most aggressive and gets the most food.

A tremendous factor in size in a fish is genetic.... some are just "built better" than others - they process food better, have been immunities, swim better - and get more food, etc.

Of equal importance is water and food quality. If the water is warmer, the food high protien and plentiful, the fish will grow faster and better. If the water is less than "perfect" - containing ammonia/nitrite or much nitrate, the fish will grow more slowly.

A fish that has been exposed to higher levels of ammonia or, particularly, nitrite, never seems to compeletly overcome the handicaps that will cause - and the fish may NEVER be as big as a "equal" fish that did not have to struggle with less than quality water.

Everything else aside, plain and simple - WATER VOLUME plays a TREMENDOUS amount in the size of a fish. That little one looks not much bigger than my 30 day old fry. Fish excrete a type of "growth hormone" - but it might be more accurately described as "anti-growth hormone" - a concentration of these exometabolites can affect different fry differently. Some fry are far more affected by the "anti-growth" exometabolites - and their growth is inhibited. A few individuals may not be affected, much, and they will outstrip their spawn mates and allows the to outgrow - and eventually cannabalize their mates.

As you are raising small fry, it is important to give them the volume of water necessary to prevent this concentration of exometabolites. It is geneally recommended that at 1/2 inch in length, you only keep a maximum of 25 fry per cubic foot of water ( about 7.5 gallons). At one inch, the number drops to, at MOST, 6 per cubic foot. That means that your 8 gallon tank would be VERY hard pressed to have supported the one 2 inch fantail AND the fry. Most likely the Fantail excreted enough "anti-growth" exometabolites that the small fry was severely stunted. At 11 months, the average is about3 inches in body lenth - the tail is extra. Commons/Comets will grow MUCH faster.

He is cute, however, but very small for his/her age.

:)

Everything else aside, plain and simple - WATER VOLUME plays a TREMENDOUS amount in the size of a fish. That little one looks not much bigger than my 30 day old fry. Fish excrete a type of "growth hormone" - but it might be more accurately described as "anti-growth hormone" - a concentration of these exometabolites can affect different fry differently. Some fry are far more affected by the "anti-growth" exometabolites - and their growth is inhibited. A few individuals may not be affected, much, and they will outstrip their spawn mates and allows the to outgrow - and eventually cannabalize their mates.

Thankyou for such a detailed reply smile.gif

I think thats exactly whats happened with my little guy, hopefully he'll grow now that he's in a 24 gallon all on his own ( i dont mind if he stays small and cute forever though ). I'm currently feeding him flakes and once a week i give him peas, i might try brine shrimp or blood worms aswell so he gets more protein to grow.