Sign in to follow this  
Guest Potgut

Pro-Gold Shelf Life?

Guest Potgut

Hello, what's the shelf life of Pro-Gold? I couldn't find this information on goldfishconnection.

-Thanks

I know I have had some food for 4 months and it was nice a fresh as long as you keep it tightly sealed up and in a dry/dark place. I use all mine up so I couldnt tell you longer than that hun :O3r

For the medicated food like Medigold and Metromeds, Rick says 6 month after the jar is opened and 9 month if the jar is never cracked open. Since Progold is not medicated food so it should last at least as long as those two. Progold of course contains probiotics so the shelf life is not as long as the other mass produced stuff sold at petshops.

Good to see you Jack! :)

Def throw out any left over after 6 months if opened. Try to buy smaller bags so they get used quicker! :heart

I agree!!!! :hi JOH!!!

I use a vacumn sealer and seal up packets of ProGold and any other type of processed pelleted food. Do not FREEZE. These packets, being sealed from the air (and marked with the date of seal) are stored in a dark, relatively cool and dry place. The food remains good for up to a year that way. You only have to open about 1 every 2 weeks - and it all stays good.

:)

Good to see you Jack! :)

Isn't it!! :heart

Daryl's idea sounds great. Small packages reduce that problem of constantly exposing the food to air and light which kills vit C. especially.