Prazi And Snails - Safe?

~SHAWNA~

That is a really good question, I would also like to know the answer to that and also if it is safe with amano and bamboo shrimp? Hopefully someone will be along who knows the answer.smile.gif

And Ive been doing internet searches for the answer as well. I was not able to anysupporting evidence that it was or wasn't safe. I am treating my main big tank tonight. Interesting experience. It looked like I dropped some alkaselters in there. I put the snails in my quarantine tank.

I read that snails can carry flukes. So if this is true, and I don't treat the snails, logic says that I will just reintroduce the flukes back into the tank. I guess I will have to experiment. I will keep you posted.

I've also been researching the net like crazy because none of my fish were treated with prazi. Unfortunately catching all those shrimps would be a real pain they are quick and they jump right out of the net, if you're lucky enough to catch one.wink.gif I'll be really interested in finding out what happens in your tank and I hope it goes well.smile.gif

I just added the Prazi-pro there 20 minutes ago. I think I will drop in my two mystery snails. If all goes well, I will treat my ivory and yellow Brig snails in the next tank. Oh I hope it goes well too. I hate having to risk the lives of one of my snailys, but I suppose in the long run, it is for the love of all my water babies. Wish me luck!

Its been 25 minutes since I dropped my snaily in. I decided to only add the one. So far, not so good. Hard to tell if hes just scared from the transfering of tanks, but he retracted very deeply into his shell, and has not moved since. :unsure: Im going to bed soon, but I suppose we will know the results by morning. The goldies, on the other hand, are having a grand time playing in the bubbles that the air pump is making in the water. I still say, it reminds me of an alkaselter fizzing. :happydance

I don't think it's harmful to snails. I wasn't able to read the whole article since I am not a registered user of ScienceDirect, but I read the abstract.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T1R-4NF4F5Y-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=988487625&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=cb8cf51465a1f8b8694f2cf960b362ad

They used oxamniquine and praziquantel on snails to evaluate their effects on S. mansoni. The snails lived, so I can't see why Prazi in a tank with snails would cause them to die.

The snail may simply be stressed or still not accustomed to the new environment. Apple snails can be sensitive to changes in environment. Applesnail.net has tested praziquantel to apple snails and found out only the ramshorns were badly affected by it but not the apple snails. Then again, ramshorns don't have trapdoors to protect themselves making themselves quite vulnerable to chemical reactions.

The snail may simply be stressed or still not accustomed to the new environment. Apple snails can be sensitive to changes in environment. Applesnail.net has tested praziquantel to apple snails and found out only the ramshorns were badly affected by it but not the apple snails. Then again, ramshorns don't have trapdoors to protect themselves making themselves quite vulnerable to chemical reactions.

Excellent! I forgot all about applesnail.net!

Update. Snaily was in a different spot this morning. Makes me feel much better. I will be treating the other fish and snails tonight now knowing that all is good. :)

biggrin.gif Yaa! Good for snaily, I'm glad to hear he survived. Hopefully the rest of the treatment will be succesfull. I'm still not sure about the shrimp since they don't really have a shell to protect them from the chemical. I guess I'll have to risk it if it really becomes necessary.

I have added the treatment to my other tank this evening which includes the rest of my snailys.

Treatment is going well on the first tank. I will do the rest of the tanks tomorrow. Too tired tonight for any other water changes.

Good to know. I wonder if all snails should be treated with Prazi before being introduced to a tank of fish. Since they are known to harbor some parasites, that could at least reduce the risk.

Update: All snails are alive and well after adding the Prazi to the tank, even my baby ivorys. Huge sigh of relief!!!

Good to know. I wonder if all snails should be treated with Prazi before being introduced to a tank of fish. Since they are known to harbor some parasites, that could at least reduce the risk.

From all of the reading I did in advance of treating, this is what I found in the Merck Vet's Manual:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/htm/bc/23514.htm

To me that says that snails are proven hosts to flukes in other animals. I realize that they are specifically discussing land dwelling animals that consumed salmon, but we can definitely draw the link to the snails and our own fish for sure.

This is really interesting.