Eggs Eggs Everywhere What Should I Do

hi this the first time tht i seen goldfish eggs frm last one year i hav my goldies wid me bt 2 days back they were acting funny chasing around taking the female behind the filter gcar.gif nd then i watched them very closely nd there it was like a spary of eggs coming out omg i jus yelled nd removed the female i didnt had a spare tank so i put her in the bucket she was so full wid eggs tht she even sprayed sum on my hand its was like small bubbles clear transparent once and they kinda got stuck to my hand i was neva prepared for this so i seen tht there were eggs in the bucket as well but i didnt knw what to do so i put the male as well coz i seen the eggs bt was not sure if they are already fertile or not coz its was my first time so i quickly thought of koko bt my net was down so my bad luck so i again went to the bucket nd removed the female put her back to the tank and the male as well infact it was treat to other goldies they enjoyed eating the eggs bt i was helpless not knwing what to do any how i managed to resuce sum in the bucket as per the information i heard tht the males milt makes the water cloudy and the water was nd i hav been chking the eggs regularly now they are no mre transparent i see a coating around them i dont knw whether its fungus or the eggs are fertile or the eggs are dead i dont so plz let me knw if they are normal nd the next day wen i went to clean the filter omg there so many eggs bt all looking so dead i had to wash them away again i dont knw whether they wer fertile or infertile so what should i do with the eggs in my bucket should i keep them for sum days or its of no use

Well they wont survive unless the water in the bucket is cycled :( Even the tiniest bit of ammonia kills eggs/fry and that will happen within about a week, Temperature and pH also needs to be stable. If you have low kH the pH may plunge in the bucket...not good. Eggs and fry are extra sensitive to these things.

Your best bet is to see if any hatch and if and when they do rig up a breeder net at the top of your main tank and VERY carefully in a bowl skim out the hatched fry and put them back in the main cycled tank's breeder net (away and up from parents hungry mouths).

Congrats on the eggs :D

• 2 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an older thread...

But Trinket, is there any merit in just grabbing the fertilised eggs and popping them into a breeder net and simply leaving it floating in the tank?

I've always wondered why they have to be completely removed, I kind of figured leaving them in the tank (in a net though) would be better for them :unsure:

Hi! The point is that if the eggs are unfertilized....act as uneaten food...nitrate spikes!

If they are fertilized, they need to be in their own tank....could be another fish got hungry.

I am sure if I am way off someone will let us both know..lol :):heart

Well yes, the eggs do get eaten and can cause water issues, even in breeder nets. It is amazing how fish will suck away underneath to try and get those eggs...and then fry.

I kind of figured leaving them in the tank (in a net though) would be better for them :unsure:

I am sure it is better for them not to be disturbed for the hatching out yes, but once in a breeder box they do get very cramped and climbing the sides (as they must do to reach the top to initially open their swimbladders) they can get stuck in folds of cloth and not make it.

Maybe the worst issue of all though is water changes. Fry are so delicate. Doing water changes of any decent size in a tank with a breeder net stuck up top is really a difficult thing. Not just the water motion and swirl but the lowering of the water problem. I have done it -but needed an extra pair of hands to lower the net with the fry in low enough to hold there while you do a water change and then slowly raise it back.

Then there's the escape factor. Fry escape those nets and get eaten. And the hard plastic boxes are not much better as they tend to slip and slide given half a chance. I have woken several times to breeder boxes floating in a tank and all the little fry camping out happily round the tank - impossible to catch again and destined to be

dinner shortly :o

So yes, it sounds best- same water, same environment - and some have done it sucessfully- but there are lots of potential hiccups with it :)