Sign in to follow this  
robertcrowe

Upgrading To 55G

I'm upgrading my current 29 gallon with a Penguin 300 Powerfilter to a 55 gallon.

I was just wondering if I should get an internal or a canister filter or just stick with an external one.

Guest trajafort

Hi Robert, I upgraded to a 55 gallon myself a while ago. For a long time, several months, I ran my tank with only a penguin 200 filter and a UG filter that ran on bubblers. This worked pretty well once the water had cycled, but later I found a good deal on emperor 400 filters and picked up two of them. I would recommend this. I used to have to change my water and filters about once a week, but now it's every month, and it doesn't ussually need changed that bad. One thing about the emperors though is that they are not great at picking up debris, so I upgraded my UG setup to include two AC 70 powerheads. One thing about the ACs though is that they create too much current for the fish, and you have to put hose with a joint on the end, to direct the water away from the fish.

So I'm cycling about 1600 gph though my tank, without canister filtration. I've got a large koi, three large goldfish, a catfish, a pleco and four kuhli loaches in there, and it is practically maintenance fee and quite cheap. I'd say I spend about ten bucks a month on the fish.

Me personally with a 50 gal tank i have two HOB filters on the back and will be getting a sponge filter soon :) you will want your filtration to be up to 10 times an hour :)

Well, just got it up and running. Got two Penguin 350, 2 50 AC powerhead attached to an undergravel filter.

Pushing out about 1000 gph

Picture

photosob.th.jpg

Edited by robertcrowe