How Deep?

Guest secuono

Guest secuono

I want to make a pond for my goldfish, but how deep does it need to be so the fish can stay in there year long? I live in virginia, so it would freeze to some point.

I want to make a pond for my goldfish, but how deep does it need to be so the fish can stay in there year long? I live in virginia, so it would freeze to some point.

I dont know about freezes, but I know it should be deep enough for thier protection. I wouldnt go less than 2ft deep in any circumstances. You may want 3ft deep for a cold area like VA.

4 ft is the general rule for over wintering fish.

What kind of fish would they be? I am pretty sure that fancies would not be able to over winter. But you would have to research it.

And if you are going to over winter them, remember you need a pond heater and de-icer to leave a hole for gas exchange. Otherwise your fish can suffocate.

I would suggest 4ft depth for a large part of the pond.

That provides more water volume, and depth for escape from preditors, as well as cooler summer time water temps & over-winters better than shallow ponds.

You will find, setting up a pond properly, with a liner, biofilter & pump is not a cheap thing to do, even DIY.

But, once done, if done right, it will give you a life time of pleasure.