To Cover Or Not To Cover

I came across this info online:

"Enclosed Aquariums - Carbon dioxide accumulates above the water's surface of tanks which are not exposed to fresh air, or those that have lids or covers. When this occurs, the carbon dioxide is then absorbed into the water greatly reducing oxygen levels. Remove any solid cover from your goldfish tank; leave open or replace with a screen."

Should I be leaving my lid open constantly? Obviously half will remain covered because of the tank light. I don't want to risk my orandas not getting enough oxygen. I currently have 2 airstones in my tank and my eheim filter tube breaks the water surface. But if an open lid will also be better for them then I can do that too...

So long as your lid is not air tight, and you have a high tank turn over rate, adequate biofilters and ample aeration, CO2 is not an issue.

Matter of fact, if you want live plants to do well, besides good nutrients & ample lighting, you need a CO2 level around 15-18 PPM.

I wouldn't have thought this is a big problem or tanks wouldn't come with lids, with two dogs if I didn't have a lid the water surface would have loads of floating dog hair on it sad.gif

Also if you have two airstones running you will be pumping fresh air from outside in which will cause positive pressure which should help with airflow out of the space below the lid anyway.

Ewww, my tank would be SO disgusting if it wasn't covered. I have a rescued Persian cat, and despite frequent combing and brushing, and twice-weekly vacuuming, that hair gets into EVERYTHING. I can just imagine my goldies strangling on a long clump of peach-colored Persian hair... ohmy.gif