Bette Davis Seriously Sick... :(

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 15

[*]Ph Level, Tank 7.6?

[*]Ph Level, Tap 7.6?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? Room temp

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 gallons, 6 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Two of those 20 gallon Whisper filters

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Daily 10%, once a week 50%, once a month 100%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? One medium sized

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day -- flakes, veggies, gel food

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed fins

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting

I came home today from work and Bette Davis was lying on her side on the bottom of the tank, gasping, while my shrimp ate her fins.

Probably the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.

But I fought them off, and now she's huddled in a corner of the tank.

Symptoms:

Gasping

Laying on her side

Slightly curled up

Belly looks swollen but not pine-coney

Bottom of stomach looks red and irritated

Super-eaten fins (shrimp...)

Chunks out of her side (again, I assume shrimp?)

I seriously think s he's about to die right in front of me -- she's got basically every bad-looking thing happening to her that I can think of.

Help!!?! Or ideas on euthanizing the poor thing!?!!

She's got some fins left -- it's the huge chunks that are all gnawed out of her sides that are worse to look at...

She's not even moving anymore, just stuck up under a plant looking like she wishes she were dead.

Sigh.

On the upside, who knew that I had a well-stocked health food store so close to my house?!

Oh no !!Have you done it? How deep are the bites? Red or still white? Fins will heal, body bite wounds are much more serious.

Well, it's done... :(

*I* didn't do it, of course -- I handed my daddy a cup with the clove oil in it, a bottle of vodka, and Bette Davis in a Bucket, and then ran and hid. But I came back right after, because I didn't trust him to really, reeeeaaaally stare at her to make sure she'd passed away after adding the vodka.

Because if there are any fish that might come back to life, in the dead of night, as creepy-eyed zombies, it would be my fish. ;)

I think it really was the best thing. I'm kind of in shock because it was so fast, and her tank is still burbling away next to my computer, but by the time I got back from the store with the oil she was breathing about eighty times a minute and every time her gills moved her entire body would shudder and she'd leak reddish stuff all over the tank. Plus, you know, the shrimp had gotten to her so bad, with her fins and her body (and her eyes...) that I think she was seriously suffering.

Pout pout pout. :(:(:(

Oh I am so sorry :cry1

It sounds like a horrible end poor baby. At least the clove would numb and soothe before she passed.

Hugs :heart

Rest in peace Bette Minx Davis :(

I'm so sorry about Bette Davis, it's horrible to see something like that happen to a pet you love, but at least you cared for her enough to make the decision to put her down, that's always hard :(

Minx I'm so sorry for you and your beautiful fish.cry3.gif But you did the right thing to end her suffering. Now she is at peace.

Minx I am so sorry about Bette Davis. As soon as I saw the post I knew it was you and I always loved her name. At least the end was painless for her. So terrible. :(

Aw, thanks guys!

I really do feel I did the right thing, but it still bums me out when I think about it....

On a brighter note, I currently have a baby who has, despite being bitten completely in half, continued to thrive, so poor Bette Davis will soon be replaced by an equally freakish fish.

The circle of life continues!!