Sign in to follow this  
ANGELMB15

I Think Its Happening

Well I woke up this morning to feed my orandas and i couldnt fine two of them, i looked in the tank and saw my plants moving around like crazy. Thats when I noticed my black oranda pushing my red and white oranda around like crazy. Hes been chasing the other one all morning now! Im just worried because if they are spawning I have no idea how to raise fry! Does this sound like breeding behavior or is he just being aggressive?

Have you had any recent storms or has it been warmer than usual? Typically that is when my female fish go into breeding mode. Male fish once they get the scent will chase anything and everything in the tank. Just watch them to make sure none are getting too beat up. If he starts bugging her too much you might think about getting a tank divider. :)

its been cold and raining for a week here and it finally got back in the 90's today could this be the reason?

Could be exactly the reason! :)

When it goes from cold to HOT...i have eggs everywhere! I don't have the time, room, or necessary equipment to try my hand at raising fry. So they get vacuum out or eaten by the other fish!

yea i might have to do that as well

Ok now I'm worried, my black oranda has white stuff on his tail and his dorsal fin is all torn up now. Is this normal and will it heal?

Ok now I'm worried, my black oranda has white stuff on his tail and his dorsal fin is all torn up now. Is this normal and will it heal?

From my experience...that is the milt from the male as he was trying to fert the eggs that may have been laid....sounds like what I experienced when I came home from work...my tank was a lil cloudy and he had white stuff on his face and body...then when I looked around and inspected the tank...I saw eggs all over the plants....do you have any eggs in your tank?

I just looked and I don't see any

thats a bummer...I like the excitement of it all and hope everyone gets to experience it...how are your goldies doing? Hope they are doing well!!!

They stopped they just look all beat up now

Large water change and low salt at 0.1% which is one teaspoon per gallon dissolved first in some tank water. Eggs may have been sprayed and eaten. Fish often spray at dawn and have eaten all the produce by the time we wake. It can cause a nitrite bump which is best dealt with by a huge water change and low salt.

If the male fish keeps bothering the female you may need to separate. watch them close. Breeding behavior can get violent and female fish do get exhausted and prone to infection from it.

Oh wow, I will get on that water change in a few then. Its a bummer they may have eaten them I wanted to see the eggs, but maybe next time, thanks for heads up trinket!

:uwelcome

Keep an eye on things after the water change and post back if things dont improve okay? :)

well i guess i missed it cause theyre back to normal now and my big oranda looks skinnier like she released the eggs and ate them! maybe next time

well i guess i missed it cause theyre back to normal now and my big oranda looks skinnier like she released the eggs and ate them! maybe next time

yeah, I hope so to...so much fun watching nature take its course...hope to read about your adventures next time