Help - Luigi Is Sick :(

kshepherd87

Hi everyone - I'm really worried about my juvenile lionhead Luigi and am hoping someone can help me. He's just lying at the bottom of the tank and when he occasionally does swim around he gets battered about by the current and tilts to the side slightly. I've listed as much information below as I can:

Amonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Last water change - 50%, yesterday

PH of tank - 7.6

Brand of test kit - API drop test

Water temp - 26 degrees celcius

Filter - Fluval U4 internal (100 litres per hour)

Size of tank - 24 gal (90 litres)

No of fish - 2 (1 juvenile 1.5 inch lionhead and 1 2.5 inch ryukin)

Age of tank - around 3 months

Water changes - weekly, 50%

Additives - Interpet Tapsafe

Food - Homemade gel food containing goldfish pellets, shrimp, bloodworm, spinach, carrots and peas

Feeding rota - One small cube (less than 1cm cubed) daily, starve day Sunday

Fish added - No new fish added

Medication - I have added 2 teaspoons of Melafix

Tank - Nothing unusual in the tank as far as I can see, all looks normal and ryukin is acting completely as normal.

Unusual behavior - Luigi has been more and more inactive over the last 3 days, today is lying on the bottom barely moving his gills.

I would really appreciate any help, I'm really worried about Luigi :(

Thanks.

Hi Kymie,

Based on the information you provided, I'm thinking that your Luigi might be suffering from flukes. Since you say the tank is about 3 months old, your fish are fairly new. Flukes are a microscopic parasite and are very common with goldfish.

Flukes Here's an information page about flukes. Does this seem to match your fish's symptoms?

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't seen him flashing and I can't see any ulcers or sores, he's just lying in between some rocks and only occasionally moving his gills. He's been doing this on and off for a couple of day but today he's not moving about at all :(

Would flukes make him lethargic? I'm really worried, he looks like he's just giving up :(

I've been studying Luigi and reading some information online - I have had my suspicions that Luigi is female for some time and my ryukin is likely to be male (both are not mature). Luigi has looked slightly rounder for a few weeks, I assumed he was simply growing, could Luigi be egg bound or possibly constipated? Apparently both cause lethargy which would definitely match his symptoms. He definitely has no scales sticking out so I don't think its dropsy.

He's still just lying at the bottom of the tank :(

Luigi is 100 times worse today, floating curled to his side - I think he's in pain, he's really struggling to move his gills :( I don't think he's going to make it through today. I think it may be kinder to put him out of his suffering, I don't have any clove oil, are there any other pain-free ways of euthanasia? :( :( :(

I am so sorry hun! I notice that you have zero nitrates and suspect your tank is not cycled which means the water is not safe for your fish. You say you have had the tank set up 3 months...does this mean the 50% water changes were done 4 times a month till now? This would not be enough to build the beneficial bacteria that are needed to keep the water safe.

Can you do an immediate temp matched water change of 70% and post back. We can talk through what to do next then.

Hi Trinket, thanks for your reply. The Nitrates are now around 10, they only showed up as 0 right after a water change. Luigi is still with us :) He was curled in a C shape the whole of yesterday, looked like he was struggling to move his gills and it wasn't looking good - I put him in a separate container as the current was way too much for him in the tank and hand fed him some gel food late last night as I read something about malnutirion causing the body to curl. This morning he was no longer curled but still very lethargic, I gave him a little more food and he perked up a bit. He's now in a separate 12 gallon tank, he's resting on the bottom a lot of the time but he's still alive so I'm v v happy! :)

I've added Melafix to the tank - would you suggest anything else? Or shall I just keep on watching him and feeding each day?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

I am sorry I am confused....can you repost your water parameters? Or were the nitrates just at 10 prior to change.....0 nitrates out of tap..what a blessing!

Any chance you could get us a picture? Do you have peas? Or can you get some?

Luigi is in a 12 gallon tank now by himself, I checked the water a few hours ago and parameters were -

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

My tank generally shows up as zero nitrates for a short while after a water change and then goes back up again to around 10.

Luigi is still looking v sick :( I fed him a little bit of gel food this morning which has peas in it - I'm going shopping for food in an hour so I will pick him up some peas then. His poo today has been very long and thin and quite white in colour - do you think he could be constipated? I'm so worried about him, all he does is sit at the bottom of the tank :(

Here's a picture of Luigi a couple of minutes ago:

Luigisick.jpg

He's sat in that corner since this morning :(

Luigi just passed away, I'm totally gutted. He was my first fancy and has always been my favourite, I'll miss him so so much :(:(

Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions.

Ohhh Noooo!!!! sad.gif

:rip: Luigi!

I am sorry. You tried very hard. Sometimes fish just get sick and there isn't anything we can do. You did a good job and of course you will miss him. Swim free little guy! heartpump.gif

Edited by newbiefishgirl