Help!

Tonight I went upstairs to feed my goldfish and noticed that both of my large girls had gravel stuck in their throat. I immediately caught them both in my net and tilted them so they spit out the gravel. I use the largest gravel substrate that any fish store near me carries, and I am not going to risk my two girls dying while I am away from stones lodged in their throats. I am definitely switching my tank to bare bottom, no doubt about it. I just need some help on how to do so. I don't know how to transition my tank to barebottom, but I need to do so by this sunday because I am going away for a week camping. Should I just take out all of the gravel at once?

No you should do it slowly as beneficial bacteria live there in the top 2 cms. One handful a day. How long has your tank been cycled? This is a kind of important detail in deciding how much staggering needs to be done... :)

No you should do it slowly as beneficial bacteria live there in the top 2 cms. One handful a day. How long has your tank been cycled? This is a kind of important detail in deciding how much staggering needs to be done... :)

I've had my tank running for about a year. I'm just really worried about my fish. I watched them some more and noticed that they were spending hours picking up gravel and spitting it out after they figure out it is not food. Every now and then there is a piece of gravel that they can't spit out. Since I don't think I have enough time to remove all of the gravel before I leave, are their any temporary solutions to this before I leave? And what would be the impact if I took out a third of the gravel today, a third saturday, and a third sunday?

I've had my tank running for about a year. I'm just really worried about my fish. I watched them some more and noticed that they were spending hours picking up gravel and spitting it out after they figure out it is not food. Every now and then there is a piece of gravel that they can't spit out. Since I don't think I have enough time to remove all of the gravel before I leave, are their any temporary solutions to this before I leave? And what would be the impact if I took out a third of the gravel today, a third saturday, and a third sunday?

Go buy some ladies stockings! :teehee

Haha, but seriously, you can take all of the gravel out at once and put it into pantyhose! Then you leave the gravel-filled stockings sitting in the tank, taking them out one by one as to stagger the removal as Trinket advised. That way your biobugs keep your cycle going, but your fishbabies can't choke on a piece of gravel.

Go buy some ladies stockings! :teehee

Haha, but seriously, you can take all of the gravel out at once and put it into pantyhose! Then you leave the gravel-filled stockings sitting in the tank, taking them out one by one as to stagger the removal as Trinket advised. That way your biobugs keep your cycle going, but your fishbabies can't choke on a piece of gravel.

Sounds like a good idea, but it might be a bit awkward buying ladies stockings since I'm a 16 year old boy... well, it is for the good of my fish, so I guess I'll just have to do it.

I found some river stones at my local hardware store while I was out buying pantyhose at Target(I had a rather awkward encounter with a woman in the females underwear section, so I'll put my gravel in the pantyhose and slowly switch them out with the river stones rather than going barebottom. My cory catfish will be happy that they'll still have something to bury their faces in. :)