When To Reintroduce Snails After Meds?

Guest katolly

Guest katolly

Hi, I currently have one small Calico Fantail / Oranda (not sure yet) and an apple snail in a 16g tank.

The Calico is new, and this tank is effectively his quarantine tank at the moment. Sadly, I fell in love with the Calico and bought him from a tank with some fish suffering from white spot, although he seemed to be healthy himself. He is eating like a pig and seems to be settling in, however I think he might be flashing slightly and am going to treat for white spot and keep a close eye on him before adding my other small fantail into the tank (will be upgrading of course when the grow a little!).

My question is, what do I need to do before I reintroduce the snail into the tank after treatment? Would a 100% water change be necessary, or several smaller ones over a few days, to make sure no meds are left in the water?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Kat

If you are using a filter with charcoal in it, that will take the meds out in a day or two, so make sure if you do use one you take it out while medicating. I would do at least a 50% water change anyway to help get rid of anything lingering.

Edited by acenorm

Guest katolly

If you are using a filter with charcoal in it, that will take the meds out in a day or two, so make sure if you do use one you take it out while medicating. I would do at least a 50% water change anyway to help get rid of anything lingering.

Thanks Acenorm,

I am just taking the little fellow out now -won't put him back in until I have replaced the carbon, let it run and done a big fat water change! ;)