Fertilizer Recommendations?

devadair

If you ask me, you don't need fertilizer. Your goldfish should be sufficent at producing fertilizer for your plants :) . Besides, I've been warned plant fertilizer can fuel a nasty outbreak of diatoms (like I have) which are pretty hard if not impossible to get rid of. I've always viewed plant fertilizer for aquariums as sort of a "snake oil" product....but that's just me.

P.S- I have plants and they do fine without fertilizer :) just make sure they have good root systems and substrate to hold on to.

I used to use plant gro fertilizer and it did alright but it caused some algae outbreaks so I don't use it anymore. Ever since I bought fluorite substrate they do pretty good with just that and some good lighting.

• 4 months later...

I've been thinking about buying some flourite for my tropical tank and just keeping the moss balls/moss in the GF tank. I have a feeling that when the goldies get bigger the flourite would get dirty quick if I used it...