Sign in to follow this  
Guest julie

Omg I Have Eggs!

Guest julie

It's been a long time since i was last on here but tonite, as i walked by my 45 gallon to check on my bunny (who's just adorable by the way) i noticed little circle things on my plant and realized they're eggs!! I'm so excited and stressed. What do I do?? I remember reading that the fishes might eat them?? Any advice would be helpful!! Ps. i had cleaned my plants and changed the water 3 days ago, so the eggs arent older than 3 days. thanks!

i think the eggs will hatch in a couple of days

can you see the developing fry inside the egg

they should be black!

i would take the eggs out because the parents will

eat them now or when they hatch

if you have a spare tank or large container use it

take the water from the tank and then place the egg in

don't touch the egg if possible because you could kill them

instead cut off the part of the plant where the eggs are attached

also make sure the container is not too deep

the increase in pressure can also kill them

:goodluck

also, dont bother with a pump at first. it will just suck them in too.

Guest julie

i took out the eggs into my old small tank. i heard that the white ones are fungified? but i wasnt sure so i left them in the tank. i dont have a pump running, i just took the water from the other tank where they came from so that the water temp and condtions would be the same. but!! this morning, i went to lok at the tank not expecting anything and these teeny tiny things kept racing bak and forth! so they DID hatch! this is so exciting..but i dont know what to do now? am i supposed to feed them brine shrimp now? any help weould be great! thanks. oh, i found more eggs on the bottom of my tank, which has a black bottom, these are transparent eggs....so i have healthy and non healthy eggs rite? thanks again!

sounds healthy to me! take out the white ones though as they are infected with fungus and it will pass onto the good eggs. dont feed the fry for the next few days. they will absorb their egg sack at first (thats why the stick to everything). when they are swimming freely you can feed them. you can feed them brine shrimp eggs, baby fish food or just really finely crush up some flakes. i used daphnia paste although brine shrimp paste is better so im told. i would recommend the paste though as is less mess and it is easy to clean up. you dont have any stones in their tank do you? they might get lost in there. also, dont put more than 6 inches of water in the tank as the weight of it will crush them.

congrats on the babies! if you need any more help just ask :)

Guest julie

thanks guys! Can you actually see the egg sac or is it really small? i tried to look for them but i cant see them? so i got worried and bought some baby fish food that u mix with water and i used an eyedropper to put into the water. when will i need to change the water? since theres no filter and the water was from the other tank (with momma and poppa) so it's not the cleanest water.....and im worried that they wont get enough oxygen? thers no movement in the water. sigh..such a worry worm huh? :D THANKS AGAIN. (ps. i passed my precalculus exam! baby fish and a pass, YAY!)

im glad you pass your exams with flying colours

you don't need to get to stressed about your goldfish

they don't need to be feed for the first few days

because they have a yolk sac

if you look really carefully, you can see it

it is a sac which hangs out under the fish's mouth

you shouldn't be too worry about the oxygen unless you have

a lot of fish fry

you main concern should be having the water clean

i do about 30% a week

you can do about 30% every few days if you think the water

is dirty

Guest julie

how do i change the water without accidentally harming the lil baby fishies?

pour the water onto the tank glass so that it slides down,

not directly into the tank

this way the fry wont get injured from the current created

also you should pour the water slower than usual

because they are very fragile at this stage