Diatoms...

So my tank seems to have a problem with diatoms. They look like a persistant brown algea, but are actually another thing entirely. I've been battling this pest for months and I am at my wits end. They just seem to sprout out of nowhere, and I find myself scrubbing plants, wood and glass every time I do a water change. They just make the tank look unclean. The worst part is the fact that they seem to suffocate plants and starve them of light, so the plants wither and die unless I scrub every leaf every week. Which pretty much eliminates all but broadleaf plants for my aquarium. HELP!

• Admin

Well one thing its in the water, how high are your nitrates? whats the light level in the tank. how big is the tank..As much information as you can cause it all has to do with the filtering, lighting, water changes and how much waste and even sun light.

Well one thing its in the water, how high are your nitrates? whats the light level in the tank. how big is the tank..As much information as you can cause it all has to do with the filtering, lighting, water changes and how much waste and even sun light.

The tank is 29 gallons, with Fiona it's only resident. I do have some mild problems with nitrates, them being between ten and twenty. The light is on for around 12 hours, and no sunlight enters the room. Two filters, one hang on and one canister. Water changes are 50 percent weekly.

• Admin

Well see if the light is low light as in lower than 3-4 watts per gal this will cause this problem.

Feeding to much can cause this, filters that dont have alot of filter floss. Brown algae grows in tanks with low light, alot of waste, and alot of O2 in the tank. :o