Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Fry Count,

These fry seem to be coming out of the woodwork. First I thougth I had 3, then 5, then 7 or 8, then I thought I had 10, but one died (it never swam to the surface, just went in circles at the bottom, it had a bent back) so that left me with 9.

Well I just went in to turn off the light. I have had 9 fry for the last week! I syphon the bottom of the tank at least 3 times a day, usually 4 and I can see all the fry.....9!

Well right now I Have 11!! Two extra :rofl They are all the same size, and have been eating brine shrimp that I hatched. Their bellies are orange from the food and so the fry are more visable.

LOL I don't think I can keep 11 babies......hubby told me to buy more filters haahaa.

When can I take them out of the 10 gal and divide them with "real" filters? 1 month, 2 months?

Right now all 11 are in the 10 gal with a sponge filter.

Jessica

first of congrats on your 11 little fishies!

how big are they now?

i think you should place them with a filter in two months

a good way to tell if they are ready is to watch how they swim

fry that aren't ready will swim in short burst because

they get tired very quickly

whereas by two month they should be making fast dashes

just like adult goldies only they are much smaller!

just to let you know at last count i have 18 frys

8 comets from my first batch and 10 from my second

i must have lost a few from my second batch im sure

it was well over 20 :cry1

Oh, I'm sorry that you lost some fry. :cry1

I just went and measured them. I turned on the tank light and they came right to the front, looking for some more brine shrimp haaahaa.

One of them was most co-operative and just held still while I put the ruler to the glass. He is almost 1 cm. over 3/4 of a cm, but under 1.

They are all about the same size.

They still swim in short bursts. But they are fast enough to get away from the turkey baster, and they even know to stay out of the way.

I caught one in the suction of the turkey baster, and he was strong enough to swim away thank goodness!!!

I can't imagine that they will ever be strong enough to be in with a "big fish" filter LOL. So about 2 months. I will have to remember that. I don't want them to get sucked up.

Jessica

Thats great news jessica

I only have the 1 and i only had the one from the start! :cry1 at least i have something .... im upgraded its living space 2 a 4gallon tank 2day :D

I will take some pictures

Jess, any more new sightings?

No new sightings yet :lol:

I am counting 9 again. They are hard to find when their bellies are not bright orange filled with brine shrimp heehee. But there must still be 11, because none have died.

Jessica

i cant cant mine yet, they are all stuck to the gravel, glass and oranaments at the mo, and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to see its unreal :)