Dropsy Help

Still feeding a bunch of MMs twice a day... she gobbles them right up. She definitely still has her spunk, very energetic!

Yesterday I upped the epsom salts from 1/2 to 1tsp (20gal).

Today the pineconing is almost gone.

:D

:nana:rockon

Take that dropsy! :wa

• Admin

YEAH see it can be done, now the issue will be is to make sure that the water quality is good and no excessive bacteria matter in the tank and the temp doesn't go up and down fast on this fish. this fish's kidneys are very sensitive now so we must be careful :)

YEAH see it can be done, now the issue will be is to make sure that the water quality is good and no excessive bacteria matter in the tank and the temp doesn't go up and down fast on this fish. this fish's kidneys are very sensitive now so we must be careful :)

I think I'm going to keep Roxanne isolated in the 20gal for the time being. The Eheim does a good job of keeping the tank pristine, plus it's a bare-bottom so no gravel to trap bad buggies. There's also a heater in there regulating the temperature. I'll also finish out the 2 weeks of feeding MMs.

Should I gradually lower the temperature since she's no longer pineconing?

YEAH see it can be done, now the issue will be is to make sure that the water quality is good and no excessive bacteria matter in the tank and the temp doesn't go up and down fast on this fish. this fish's kidneys are very sensitive now so we must be careful smile.gif

I think I'm going to keep Roxanne isolated in the 20gal for the time being. The Eheim does a good job of keeping the tank pristine, plus it's a bare-bottom so no gravel to trap bad buggies. There's also a heater in there regulating the temperature. I'll also finish out the 2 weeks of feeding MMs.

Should I gradually lower the temperature since she's no longer pineconing?

See Joy? I told you that you weren't rusty!!! Great news and Go Roxanne!!!!!! :)

Penguin came over to visit the fish and helped me do a 50% water change (he can lift a full 5-gallon bucket... wow, I definitely can't!) I didn't add back any epsom salts so that puts the tank at 1/2tsp or 1/4 per 10 gallons.

Roxanne is doing just fine; very active and still very hungry!

I'm going out of town for a few days, so I left the MMs in a pill sorter labeled "Fri PM," "Sat AM" and so on for my mom to feed her.

Also discovered that the reason my Eheim has been so noisy is because the axle in the impeller is busted in half. Sigh!

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

:krazy:

So I went away for the weekend and my mom fed Roxanne MMs twice daily. There was a heater regulating the temperature. I did a water change just before I left.

And when I came back, Roxanne looks fine and is acting fine except that her wen has black spots all over it.

?!@

Water tests: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15

Temp 76F

1/2 TSP of epsom salt dissolved in 20 gallons

They don't look like sores, just black. Is this a color change? (Are Reba and Roxanne swapping? :blink: )

Will try to get a decent picture.

It could be an antibiotic reaction. MMs are loaded with them. Fish will get melanaphore migration syndrome with medication that they react to as 'the enemy'. Should go away when the med course is finished. A pic would help clarify. If she is behaving well and water is good, I wouldn't worry too much :)

Yes, Roxanne is acting fine so that's probably it. It's been 14 days since I first spotted her pineconing, so I have stopped feeding MetroMeds. The black seems to have subsided a bit, too.

I also turned off the heater to let the water slowly cool back down. It's now at 72F. She seems ok! :D

Joy that happened with a few of my fish lately and I freaked out, and Imo was totally right.. Once the meds were done for a bit, the black faded away!!

YAY Roxanne seems to have beat the dropsy!! WOOO HOOOOOOOO! I love these success stories!!! : )