Substrate

Guest ryukin89

Guest ryukin89

I was thinking about going bare and ridding myself of substrate (too much cleaning). So I removed half last week and then when going to remove the rest, I realized my PH had dropped down to 7.4. So I added a little gravel into some 7.2 tap water, and in three days it was 7.4! My substrate was the only thing keeping my PH from flutuating! Amazing!rofl3.gif

Sorry if you think this is a waste of your time but I thought it was interesting.

Guest ryukin89

I don't know exactly what kind, a friend gave them to me and I have used them in every aquarium I have. They are rounded and yellowish white. They might have been collected at a river not too far from here. The Tar river (yuck!).

You never know, they may have been buffering your water and somehow maintaining the pH. If it was crushed coral I would have thought that was the case for sure. Keep an eye on it, you don't want it getting too low.

What was the pH before, btw?

Guest ryukin89

Before I took out some gravel, the PH was 7.8. But whenever I did water changes it would go down to 7.6 for a few days and then gradually come up. It never went over 7.8.

• 2 weeks later...