Got Me A New Snail

After reading some recent snail posts, I decided to get myself one :)

I had one before and thought he was great. The batch at my lfs honestly didn't look that great, most of them were shut inside their shells but I'm hoping it's just because their tank was getting disturbed so often. I put the little guy in with the goldies, so far no movement but I think he'll come around. I'm going to put some food in on a veggie clip for him soon. I am nervous that the boys will snack on him though...I'll have to keep a close eye!

004-3.jpg

I still have two in the tank with my goldfish they have never tried to eat them. But your goldfish might be different then mine and they have been in my tank from the start so the goldfish are use to them.

My pet shop has some blues one. Thinking of getting one.

Well he was up and about a bit earlier, but when I fed the fish the commotion must have scared him because he hasn't moved since. I have some apple in there that I will leave over night. If I know my snails, he'll munch on it when the lights go out :)

Jealous! No more snails for me they are illegal in Florida now, because of the idiots releasing them in waterways. The only experience I've had with snails in a goldie tank was not good, a large fantail I had decided the snail's eye stalks looked like a tasty treat, it didn't hurt the snail but it scared the bejesus out of me!

Snails are cool mine hid out for a few hours also when I first got him, but then after that hes always be cruisin' the tank. He does tend to get algae on his shell alot, but I just clean it off with a toothbrush.

I was right. I got up to drive Jim to the airport at 5:30am and looked in the tank. The snail (named "Slimy" by my sis :rofl ) was cruising around happily :)

He's eating some apple now. The fish don't seem to be paying any attention to him, thankfully.

Jealous! No more snails for me they are illegal in Florida now, because of the idiots releasing them in waterways. The only experience I've had with snails in a goldie tank was not good, a large fantail I had decided the snail's eye stalks looked like a tasty treat, it didn't hurt the snail but it scared the bejesus out of me!

Are you sure about that? I know the big apple snails are illegal but I thought the smaller mystery snails were still legal. As of the last time I was in a fish store they were still selling them.

I put a leaf of lettuce in the tank this afternoon. I just got home to find Slimy on the side of the tank with his siphon extended (eww) and the lettuce is gone..completely. That is impressive for a little guy!!!

Are you sure about that? I know the big apple snails are illegal but I thought the smaller mystery snails were still legal. As of the last time I was in a fish store they were still selling them.

No I am not sure about that. I had heard something about mystery snails being illegal in Florida and assumed, and well we all know the saying about assuming... It makes much more sense that Canas and the like would be illegal rather than apple snails. Thanks Gunbunnyj! I'll have to look around and see if I can find one.

They're supposedly illegal in CA now, too, for the same reasons as in FL. (so many things are illegal because of this!) I still see them for sale occasionally, though, and hope to get some again someday.

What a cute little golden snail! Those are my favorite. It's so fun to look in a tank and see this bright yellow thing! And the best part is they're naturally that color, not painted like so many of the hermit crabs' shells.

And Slimy is an excellent name! Almost as good as Snail, the name I came up with for mine years ago!! :rofl

Pretty. The yellows are my favorite. :heart

No I am not sure about that. I had heard something about mystery snails being illegal in Florida and assumed, and well we all know the saying about assuming... It makes much more sense that Canas and the like would be illegal rather than apple snails. Thanks Gunbunnyj! I'll have to look around and see if I can find one.

Yes, there are a lot of bylaws surrounding snails and mainly the shipping across the borders. It is commonly feared that irresponsible owners are going to release them into the wild and the snails will harm or take over an ecosystem. I can understand the point, but I think it's really too bad because they are such beauties in the tank. Check with City Hall or a branch of your Municiple Government to find out the specifics. You never know - it might just be for shipping and you can find some snail breeders in your area. :)