Sign in to follow this  
gab

Goldfish Swollen And Floating On One Side

I hope you can help. Blacklip's (about 9 year old fancy goldfish)left side is swollen and she is "floating" sideways with the left side up. She is at the bottom of the tank on her side. She's been like this about 6 days. She has had floating problems before about 4 years ago, but since I started feeding her peas, Pro-gold, and Spirulina flakes she had been doing well. A month or so ago, she started spinning circles in the tank and would occassionally be upside down on the bottom, so I didn't feed her for a day and then gave her only peas for a while. She didn't improve much. About 6 days ago, her side swelled up (seemingly overnight) and she is now laying sideways on the bottom. She is still trying to eat, but she seems to have trouble swallowing--most of the food comes back out of her mouth(I've been feeding her by hand since she's been on her side). She is definitely hungry--when I feed the others in the tank, she tries to swim around to get food. I've added Maracyn two and epsom salts to the tank (Maracyn two 5 days ago and epsom salts yesterday), but there has been no change so far. What else can I try after the Maracyn two is done? Any idea what may have caused this so suddenly? Water quality in the tank has been stable as far as I know--I check it each week before a water change.

I guess you need some background information. Ammonia and nitrites are not detectable. Nitrates run around 20--I can't seem to go lower than that. Ph is around 7.8. Nitrates and nitrites are measured with Aquarium Pharmaceutical drops and ammonia and pH are measured with meters (I work in a lab). No chloramines as I have well water (passed through a carbon filter before going to the tank)and I don't know about KH or GH. Temperature stays 78-80 F. I have two fancy goldfish (Blacklip about 5 inches and Streak is about 6 inches or so--not including tails), and two African clawed frogs in a 55 gallon tank that has been running for about 4 years or so. There's an aquaclear 110 over the back power filter,a small submersible filter, a home made canister filter (whole house filters(3) with sponges and 100 micron pads run by a 600 gallon per hour pump(it doesn't flow that fast). A uv filter is also attached to the home made filters. I change the water every week-about 50% or so. I don't use any water conditioners or additives. The goldfish eat 1/3 teaspoon Progold twice/day. They also have a few Spirulina flakes in the morning and 5-6 peas (shelled) in the evening. Occasionally they also have spinach and live Daphnia. No new fish have been added for a very long time.

Hum, well your tank's water parameters look pretty good except for those darned nitrates, have you tested your water out of the tap? I suspect they're probably high in your water supply, and I'm not sure there is much you can do about that. As far as what's wrong with your fish have you seen her poo? Is it white and stringy or normal (the color of her food)? I am thinking she's probably egg impacted since she's just swollen on one side or has some type of bacterial thing going on inside. What dosage of epsom salt did you use? If it was eggs the epsom salt should have helped.

Hum, well your tank's water parameters look pretty good except for those darned nitrates, have you tested your water out of the tap? I suspect they're probably high in your water supply, and I'm not sure there is much you can do about that. As far as what's wrong with your fish have you seen her poo? Is it white and stringy or normal (the color of her food)? I am thinking she's probably egg impacted since she's just swollen on one side or has some type of bacterial thing going on inside. What dosage of epsom salt did you use? If it was eggs the epsom salt should have helped.

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have nitrates in my tap water-I don't know where they come from. They run about the same in ny 125 gallon tank of various tropical freshwater fish. I haven't actually seen anyone poop in the tank for a while, but I do see poop around. I don't know who it comes from, though. This morning, Blacklip did have a small, thin piece of poop coming out-about 1.4 inch long. It was the color of her food-brown. It didn't move much in the 45 minutes or so I observed her this morning before I went to work. It was gone when I got home. She is still trying to eat, but the food just won't stay in for long. The maracyn two treatment was done, so I changed the water (about 30%) tonight--should I add more epsom salt? By the way, I had added 1/4 teaspoon/10 gallons water epsom salts. Maybe it will just take a little longer. I did find some medicated fish food at the pet store--maybe I'll try that since the Maracyn is done--it's made by jungle labs and contains sodium sulfathiazole and nitrofurazone. I'll just see what happens for a few days unless anyone has any other ideas--I feel bad for her laying there on the bottom, but she doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. Thanks again.

gab

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have nitrates in my tap water-I don't know where they come from. They run about the same in ny 125 gallon tank of various tropical freshwater fish. I haven't actually seen anyone poop in the tank for a while, but I do see poop around. I don't know who it comes from, though. This morning, Blacklip did have a small, thin piece of poop coming out-about 1.4 inch long. It was the color of her food-brown. It didn't move much in the 45 minutes or so I observed her this morning before I went to work. It was gone when I got home. She is still trying to eat, but the food just won't stay in for long. The maracyn two treatment was done, so I changed the water (about 30%) tonight--should I add more epsom salt? By the way, I had added 1/4 teaspoon/10 gallons water epsom salts. Maybe it will just take a little longer. I did find some medicated fish food at the pet store--maybe I'll try that since the Maracyn is done--it's made by jungle labs and contains sodium sulfathiazole and nitrofurazone. I'll just see what happens for a few days unless anyone has any other ideas--I feel bad for her laying there on the bottom, but she doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. Thanks again.

gab

She could be egg bound, but I find when goldfish float and are bloaty, sometimes it's a problem with their diet...at least that's what was wrong with Fiona. Go ahead with your treatments, but you might want to think about fasting your goldfish for around 2 or 3 days to help clear a potential blockage in her intestines. Since your water parameters are somewhat ok, this seems like a likely candidate for what is ailing your fish. BTW, does your fish have sort of pine conish scales? Like do they protrude away from her body unusually? This is a telltale sign of Dropsy, a serious fish illness.

Keep us posted.

You should replace the amount of epsom salt you took out with the waterchange.She could vary well have an intestinal blockage and fasting her would be a good idea. The reason I suggested eggs was the sudden on set and the swelling on one side. However, when you say the food won't stay in long do you mean that she spits it out? Spitting food out is a sign of parasites or a blockage. I am not sure that I would continue the Maracyn or try a medicated food. I would try fasting her feeding peas, and using the epsom salts and see how it goes because if she is not displaying other signs of infection like redness or swelling of the scales, the use of antibiotics won't do any good and might cause a resistance to them later. This link will help you out with your meds. Meds

Edited by Maceo

She could vary well have an intestinal blockage and fasting her would be a good idea. The reason I suggested eggs was the sudden on set and the swelling on one side. However, when you say the food won't stay in long do you mean that she spits it out? Spitting food out is a sign of parasites or a blockage. I am not sure that I would continue the Maracyn. I would try fasting her feeding peas, and using the epsom salts and see how it goes. You should replace the amount of epsom salt you took out with the waterchange. This link will help you out with your meds. Meds

Good advice. Although remember, if you're simply replacing evaporated water to a salt treatment tank, remember not to add any salt, as the water may evaporate, but the salt stays in the tank.

A month or so ago, she started spinning circles in the tank and would occassionally be upside down on the bottom, so I didn't feed her for a day and then gave her only peas for a while. She didn't improve much. About 6 days ago, her side swelled up (seemingly overnight) and she is now laying sideways on the bottom. She is still trying to eat, but she seems to have trouble swallowing--most of the food comes back out of her mouth

This sounds more like a bacterial or parasitic infection than a problem with eggs. Certainly constipation would have been resolved with fasting and peas. There are many things which can cause a fish to loose equilibrium, but with the additional symptom of swelling on one side it could be that either the kidney or liver are enlarged and pressing on the swimbladder. This could be due to parasites, bac infection or even a cyst. Very hard to be sure.

Let me have a think about what you could possibly treat with - the trouble is that she really needs internal meds in the form of med-food but as she can't eat it will be a problem.

Thinking. Back in a while. ..........

Just a quick comment. Were the daphnia live :unsure: ?

Internal parasites can be introduced with live feed very easily.

And when did you last do a complete water change. Obviously your tank is well cycled and you care for your fish very well, your fish is a senior citizen :D ...well done...only, over the years there is a need to clear out all the water occasionally. Of course not the filters the same day.

I have found with my old tanks I am actually throwing half the media occasionally. The cycle is so strong after 5 years or so you can do that quite safely. And should.

Nitrates and bacteria build up are two different things and if your fish has been having floaty issues she will be more susceptible.

Please let us know if you fed any live foods!

She could vary well have an intestinal blockage and fasting her would be a good idea. The reason I suggested eggs was the sudden on set and the swelling on one side. However, when you say the food won't stay in long do you mean that she spits it out? Spitting food out is a sign of parasites or a blockage. I am not sure that I would continue the Maracyn. I would try fasting her feeding peas, and using the epsom salts and see how it goes. You should replace the amount of epsom salt you took out with the waterchange. This link will help you out with your meds. Meds

Good advice. Although remember, if you're simply replacing evaporated water to a salt treatment tank, remember not to add any salt, as the water may evaporate, but the salt stays in the tank.

She can keep the food in for maybe 30 seconds or so, then she spits it out. Then she'll try tto catch it and eat it again. She may be keeping some of the food in--I'm not sure. It's more like she can't swallow it. She's definitely hungry--she practically sucks my fingers off trying to get the food. I'll replace the epsom salts lost with the water change and I guess I can try to fast her again and then start with the peas again. I did that before, but not along with the epsom salts. Thanks again.

Just a quick comment. Were the daphnia live :unsure: ?

Internal parasites can be introduced with live feed very easily.

And when did you last do a complete water change. Obviously your tank is well cycled and you care for your fish very well, your fish is a senior citizen :D ...well done...only, over the years there is a need to clear out all the water occasionally. Of course not the filters the same day.

I have found with my old tanks I am actually throwing half the media occasionally. The cycle is so strong after 5 years or so you can do that quite safely. And should.

Nitrates and bacteria build up are two different things and if your fish has been having floaty issues she will be more susceptible.

Please let us know if you fed any live foods!

The only live foods I feed are the Daphnia and minnows for the frogs. Both live foods are cultured in the lab where I work, so I'm pretty positive they are parasite and disease free. As for a complete water change, I've haven't done one since I set up the tank several years ago. I'm afraid the tank will have to cycle all over again and I don't really have time to change water every day to keep up with water quality. But, if you think it may help, I can try it--I just don't want to stress Blacklip any more than I have to. Let me know. Thanks again.

gab

As for a complete water change, I've haven't done one since I set up the tank several years ago. I'm afraid the tank will have to cycle all over again and I don't really have time to change water every day to keep up with water quality. But, if you think it may help, I can try it--I just don't want to stress Blacklip any more than I have to.

Just to reassure you - 90/100% water changes will not kill your cycle; the magnitude of beneficial bacteria are held in the filter media rather than the tank water. If you have gravel be sure to suck up as much crud as you possibly can with the vacuum - this will reduce pollutants and any possible 'lurkers' in the gravel.

As far as treating the fish I am concerned that she shares with frogs - anything waterborne could affect them very badly. Is it possible the frogs could be accommodated somewhere else while you try to treat her?

Before deciding on a med, can you first make a simple examination and post back?

1) Mouth Take hold of your fish and gently lift her mouth above the water line so she gapes. Have a good light source above the tank and look inside her open mouth. Note any redness on the upper side, white fluff/strands or swelling.

2) Belly Now, try to turn the fish upside down (it cuts down on struggling) and hold her at the surface with her head in the water. Very gently - push on the belly just above the anal port. Note if it feels either mushy (like a flabby stomach), or hard. In a healthy fish it should feel like pushing your finger against a relaxed arm muscle. Remember - don't press hard or you can cause damage. Look at the anal port for any redness or other abnormality. Notice if anything is discharged as you gently press.

3) Gills This always makes me a little nervous so keep her steady and lift her head above the water enough to free the gills. With your thumb nail, very gently lift the gill flap to expose the gills. They should be cherry red. Note if they look pale, dark red or stuck together at all.

4) Let the fish swim away and notice if your hands feel very mucousy or slimey.

Finally, look carefully at her as she swims and note any change to slimecoat, any red spots, streaks, dark/white patches, dustiness or dullness or anything unusual in her general appearance.

This probably seems a big proceedure but any details will be very helpful in deciding the next step.

As for a complete water change, I've haven't done one since I set up the tank several years ago. I'm afraid the tank will have to cycle all over again and I don't really have time to change water every day to keep up with water quality. But, if you think it may help, I can try it--I just don't want to stress Blacklip any more than I have to.

Just to reassure you - 90/100% water changes will not kill your cycle; the magnitude of beneficial bacteria are held in the filter media rather than the tank water. If you have gravel be sure to suck up as much crud as you possibly can with the vacuum - this will reduce pollutants and any possible 'lurkers' in the gravel.

As far as treating the fish I am concerned that she shares with frogs - anything waterborne could affect them very badly. Is it possible the frogs could be accommodated somewhere else while you try to treat her?

Before deciding on a med, can you first make a simple examination and post back?

1) Mouth Take hold of your fish and gently lift her mouth above the water line so she gapes. Have a good light source above the tank and look inside her open mouth. Note any redness on the upper side, white fluff/strands or swelling.

2) Belly Now, try to turn the fish upside down (it cuts down on struggling) and hold her at the surface with her head in the water. Very gently - push on the belly just above the anal port. Note if it feels either mushy (like a flabby stomach), or hard. In a healthy fish it should feel like pushing your finger against a relaxed arm muscle. Remember - don't press hard or you can cause damage. Look at the anal port for any redness or other abnormality. Notice if anything is discharged as you gently press.

3) Gills This always makes me a little nervous so keep her steady and lift her head above the water enough to free the gills. With your thumb nail, very gently lift the gill flap to expose the gills. They should be cherry red. Note if they look pale, dark red or stuck together at all.

4) Let the fish swim away and notice if your hands feel very mucousy or slimey.

Finally, look carefully at her as she swims and note any change to slimecoat, any red spots, streaks, dark/white patches, dustiness or dullness or anything unusual in her general appearance.

This probably seems a big proceedure but any details will be very helpful in deciding the next step.

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you-my work schedule is crazy right now. Anyway, I did the fish physical--her mouth looks fine-no redness, white strands, or swelling. As for her belly-she feels slightly mushy, and I didn't notice any redness or discharge when I pressed on her gently. To me, her gills looked okay-no sticking together and they didn't seem to be dark red or pale, although I don't know if I would call them cherry red or not. They looked about the same as my other goldfish's gills. After the physical (which I must say she didn't enjoy very much,although who enjoys getting a physical), I didn't notice any change to her slimecoat ast all. My hands were just slightyl slimey-sort of what I'd expect after handling a fish. I do have some pictures of her if this may help, but I'm fairly new to digital photography and have no idea how to get the pictures to you. I can try to send some if someone can tell me how. If you do come up with some medicines to try, I can move either her or the frogs to another tank. I have a 20 gallon tank I can set up somewhere. If I do medicate, would it be better to leave her and the other goldfish in their 55 gallon tank and move the frogs or just move Blacklip (and/or the other goldfish, Streak) to another tank and keep a close eye on water quality?

She is eating a little bit of food-she still spits most of it out, then tries to get it again. Every now and then, she does swallow some I guess. I have noticed some thin strands of poop coming out of her the color of her food.

Thanks again.

gab

Well done on performing your fish physical - its no mean feat! Good to know there is no swelling/redness/white fluff in her mouth.

As far as pictures go - most people use a photo hosting site, like photobcuket etc. and simply upload the link to the post. As you don't yet have enough posts to upload directly, this would be the best way to go. Killing the filters for a few minutes whilst taking pics will produce a clearer photo.

If you do come up with some medicines to try, I can move either her or the frogs to another tank. I have a 20 gallon tank I can set up somewhere. If I do medicate, would it be better to leave her and the other goldfish in their 55 gallon tank and move the frogs or just move Blacklip (and/or the other goldfish, Streak) to another tank and keep a close eye on water quality?

As she is the only one who appears sick, I would isolate her in the 20g tank on her own. You will need some zeolite/ammo-chips to control ammonia during treatment. I'm struggling a little with deciding on a treatment as antibotics, if not really needed, are a bad idea. The problem, however, is that she cannot eat and the fasting and epsom have not appeared to help reduce her swelling or enabled her to eat again. I'm tempted to suggest trying Maracyn and Maracyn 2 together as she can't eat (tank must be kept dark for this) and may have an infection of the swim bladder. If she were able to eat, I'd be more tempted to go with gelfood to rule out internal parasites and then proceed to internal bac gel, if that didn't work.

I'll ask Trinket for a second opinion, as for once I am not entirely sure what is the best option.

Well done on performing your fish physical - its no mean feat! Good to know there is no swelling/redness/white fluff in her mouth.

As far as pictures go - most people use a photo hosting site, like photobcuket etc. and simply upload the link to the post. As you don't yet have enough posts to upload directly, this would be the best way to go. Killing the filters for a few minutes whilst taking pics will produce a clearer photo.

If you do come up with some medicines to try, I can move either her or the frogs to another tank. I have a 20 gallon tank I can set up somewhere. If I do medicate, would it be better to leave her and the other goldfish in their 55 gallon tank and move the frogs or just move Blacklip (and/or the other goldfish, Streak) to another tank and keep a close eye on water quality?

As she is the only one who appears sick, I would isolate her in the 20g tank on her own. You will need some zeolite/ammo-chips to control ammonia during treatment. I'm struggling a little with deciding on a treatment as antibotics, if not really needed, are a bad idea. The problem, however, is that she cannot eat and the fasting and epsom have not appeared to help reduce her swelling or enabled her to eat again. I'm tempted to suggest trying Maracyn and Maracyn 2 together as she can't eat (tank must be kept dark for this) and may have an infection of the swim bladder. If she were able to eat, I'd be more tempted to go with gelfood to rule out internal parasites and then proceed to internal bac gel, if that didn't work.

I'll ask Trinket for a second opinion, as for once I am not entirely sure what is the best option.

I've gotten some pictures-I'll try to get them to you, but I'm not sure what I'm doing. Here is the link to the pictures. th_IMG_1859.jpg

th_IMG_1860.jpg

th_IMG_1861.jpg

th_IMG_1863.jpg We'll see what happens. Just a note--I already tried one round of Maracyn 2 with no success. It finished last Monday and then I did a water change and added new carbon to clear out the remaining medicine.

gab

Yikes! She has massive red streaking in her caudal fins. Unless ammonia and nitrites are off, this type of streaking points to a systemic bacterial infection. Thanks to the photos I now feel sure that your best option is to get your fish a Baytril shot. This would be the most immediate and effective step; especially as she cannot easily eat and you have already run Maracyn 2 on its own. You mentioned you work in a lab so I'm hoping this may be an option.

If not, do you know of a vet who would be confident to do this for you?

The best injection site is between the ventral fins and the anal port, just off to one side of the fishes midline. I recently had to do this for one of my fish who was dropsying. Dosage of Baytril should be used at 0.1cc per 6 inches of fish.

Let me know what you think.

Yikes! She has massive red streaking in her caudal fins. Unless ammonia and nitrites are off, this type of streaking points to a systemic bacterial infection. Thanks to the photos I now feel sure that your best option is to get your fish a Baytril shot. This would be the most immediate and effective step; especially as she cannot easily eat and you have already run Maracyn 2 on its own. You mentioned you work in a lab so I'm hoping this may be an option.

If not, do you know of a vet who would be confident to do this for you?

The best injection site is between the ventral fins and the anal port, just off to one side of the fishes midline. I recently had to do this for one of my fish who was dropsying. Dosage of Baytril should be used at 0.1cc per 6 inches of fish.

Let me know what you think.

She has had those red streaks in her fins as long as I can remember, I figured they were just part of her coloring. Anyway, I don't work in a lab that does injections, but I can call around to the vets in the area and see if I can find one that has worked on fish. I do know one that used to work on exotics years ago--she even worked on a frog I used to have, but I don't know if she would feel comfortable injecting a fish-I'll call her first. I checked the water quality again and it's still fine. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

gab

Yes, I can see that at least one of the streaks is orange marking, but it looks from the photo as if others are blood red streaks rather than pigment. Can you look and confirm if that is right? I cannot see closely enough from the picture.

A reptile vet would be a good bet - hope you can still find her

Yes, I can see that at least one of the streaks is orange marking, but it looks from the photo as if others are blood red streaks rather than pigment. Can you look and confirm if that is right? I cannot see closely enough from the picture.

There are red streaks in her tail and they have truly been there as long as I can remember--they may be a little more prominent than usual, though. My other goldfish also has red streaks in her tail and always has had them. Is it possible they've always had an infection but just not shown any other signs? Anyway, I found a vet who actually works on fish for local public aquariums, but he seems to think she has a tumor (based on my description of her symptoms)which Baytril wouldn't help and he doesn't like to waste antibiotics. Now I'm not sure what to do. I know that is a possibility, but wouldn't she be swollen side down if it was a tumor? I didn't think to ask him that when I had him on the phone. If it is a tumor, there is nothing that would help her and I'm hoping that is not the case. What do you think? I'll just have to decide if it's worth the trip and expense of the vet or if I should try something else first. Maybe I can try another vet. She did keep most of her food down tonight. I hate to give up on her if she's still trying to survive this illness.

gab

There are red streaks in her tail and they have truly been there as long as I can remember--they may be a little more prominent than usual, though. My other goldfish also has red streaks in her tail and always has had them. Is it possible they've always had an infection but just not shown any other signs? Anyway, I found a vet who actually works on fish for local public aquariums, but he seems to think she has a tumor (based on my description of her symptoms)which Baytril wouldn't help and he doesn't like to waste antibiotics. Now I'm not sure what to do. I know that is a possibility, but wouldn't she be swollen side down if it was a tumor? I didn't think to ask him that when I had him on the phone. If it is a tumor, there is nothing that would help her and I'm hoping that is not the case. What do you think? I'll just have to decide if it's worth the trip and expense of the vet or if I should try something else first. Maybe I can try another vet. She did keep most of her food down tonight. I hate to give up on her if she's still trying to survive this illness.

gab

Hi again

I have found another vet who will give her a Baytril injection. She works with reptiles and amphibians a lot, but she is willing to work on the fish. I told her 0.1cc/inch of fish and she wants to know how often to give the Baytril injection. Is it just a one shot deal and we'll see how she does? After her injection, should I put her in a separate tank? I have an appointment in an hour or so, so I hope someone is out there to answer my questions. Thanks.

gab

gab

I posted yesterday(Aug 13), but I don't know what happened to it, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyway, I'll try again. Blacklip got her first Baytril injection yesterday and from what I've seen on the internet, she needs one shot every day for three days and one every other day for 2 more doses--max of 5 doses. Is this right? I hope so, I'm taking her to the vet again this morning for round two and after that, I'll try it myself--she'll give me the Baytril to take home. If this doesn't work, should I try another round? Hopefully it will help. Thanks.

gab

Yes. One dose a day for up to 4 or max 5 days :)

Sorry I haven't been able to get back on - I've had so much on.

It's great you managed to get the injections, but I'm hoping this was a misprint I told her 0.1cc/inch of fish - the dose I wrote was 0.1cc per 6 inches of fish. :o

If you are going to try the shots yourself be very sure you know how to administer them - get her to show you. The best site is into the peritoneal cavity - is this how she's done it so far? Keep the needle at a shallow angle to avoid hitting internal organs.

Keeping fish upside down with head in water cuts down on struggling or you can sedate it: 5 drops of clove oil per every gallon needed to cover the fish. Once fish rolls over, remove and place on clean surface and work quickly - if injection squirts back out you have not found the sinus and must try again (run over this with the vet). Return fish to a fresh bucket of water and 'walk' it up and down to pass water over the gills until he 'comes to'

Really keeping my fingers crossed for you. Got to go........

gab- how is your fish doing?

Did you inject yet with the dosage Pixiefish suggests?