So Here Is My Plan

Snider82

So, i started a saltwater tank.

I'v researched all about cycling a new tank, and preparing water for SW fish.

Im planning on making a live rock/fish only tank (so far). Because the wife gave up her 45gallon tank for me, i already have a good start lol. i have the old filter shawna was using, and a heater.

i picked up some salt, test kits, and little odds and ends i needed. i have some sand in the tank, and so far 10 lbs of live rock. now, i know that's not enough LR for my tank, i will get another 40 lb so i read. but at least i have a slow start, and i will get more LR at the end of the week. i'v let the tank sit for about 2 days and the water has cleared up alot. i took some ammonia reading, its onlt at .6. i guess other than getting more LR my next step is to wait out the cycle.

i read about sump's, and skimmers, and now i wish i had the tank pulled out another 5" or so. im going to look into building my own sump to put a skimmer in. as i progress with this project i will post here.

any suggestions and tips are welcome :)

and as i learn i would be glad to help others in the future

Brent

From my reading on salt water if you have 2 to 3 pounds of live rock per gallon you don't need skimmer. See if you can find out anything on that. But I was reading about nano reef tanks. So I might be wrong.

Edited by Hidr

i was told 50 lbs for my 45 gallon would do, 1 lb per gallon is the rule of thumb.. im guessing thats without a skimmer? gosh, this salt water is going to be expencive... but worth it :) ill proably come across more articals about it, and ill just go with the average

Ya 1 pound is fine if you use a skimmer. I was just going to do nano tank some day with my 6 gallon JBJ and no room for a skimmer so would have to have at least 12 pounds of live rock.

Did you get cured or uncured rock?

Oh and where are the pictures?

Edited by Hidr

Ya 1 pound is fine if you use a skimmer. I was just going to do nano tank some day with my 6 gallon JBJ and no room for a skimmer so would have to have at least 12 pounds of live rock.

Did you get cured or uncured rock?

Oh and where are the pictures?

I bought cured rock. i really am going to have to get a sump, my tank is kinda tall, and i think all that rock is going to take up alot of room, espcily if i have to get MORE than what i expected. i took 2 picture so far, not much to look at. ill upload them tomorow. tonight i just wanna browse the forums and get used to the site.

do you think i can get away with a hang on the back skimmer? or is a sump skimmer much better?

Sorry can't help you there. I was looking for ways to get around a skimmer. lol My knowledge with salt water is very limited. You well be the expert for us soon.

Edited by Hidr

ah i see, dont take my word on this i can only go by what i'v been reading, but i personaly would think 12 lbs for a 6 gallon is MORE than enough.. i guess you could try it with less, and keep taking nitrate reading's. i would hate for someone to spend alot of extra money on exessive LR.

Hi,

I'm no expert but I have a 11 gal Nano running for 2 years nd a 29 gal reef runing for 1 1/2years. Both have just a bit over 1lbs of liverock per gallon and no skimmer on either one. On the nano I have a canister filter with no filter media except some good live rock rubble. And on the 29 gallon I have a canister filter with rubble in it and a 110 Aquaclear filter in which I put rubble and chaeto. I have a small light on the aquaclear which I run all night and for some reason that stabilizes my PH at night. I have almost non existant nitrates in both tanks and the soft corals are thriving. I haven't put in any fish yet but I should be adding them in in a few weeks. I'm adding a picture of both tanks. Just to see what you think?wink.gif

th_DSCF3156.jpg

th_DSCF3159.jpg

By the way welcome to the addictive reef hobby!biggrin.gif

Very nice. I must say your small one looks the best to me.

Thanks. It's my favorite too. The corals just multiply in that one. But it is too small for fish in my opinion and I really want to add some black mollies to the 29 gal. I saw someone who had them in his reef and it looked awesome.

the way welcome to the addictive reef hobby!biggrin.gif

Ditto that!

I have had 3 marine tanks and have skimmed none of them. I try to get plenty of live rock in the tanks and rely on religious weekly water changes to keep the tank clean. I tend not to skim as I can't help feeling the corals benefit well from a slightly 'loaded' water column :D There's pics of my tanks in the tanks - marine section :)

wow! That live rock looks awesome!! mine is kinda boring right now, it looks like rock, with holes and the odd thing growing off it :P im just worried i wont be able to get enough LR in there fast enough. paydays never come fast enough!

• Admin

One very good advice for Marine tanks.....Patience...Alot. Never try to fill the tank fast. Im talking about adding live things to it. When I set my tank up, I let the live rock sit and cycle the tank for a month or two. Testing the water every few days and changing the water when the ammonia got to high. Also remember salt water tanks dont tolerate nitrates very much. :o

I had a skimmer on my 45 gal tank but I also had some coral that didnt like the extra minerals that I had in my water. Oh and get a power head, they are great with salt water tanks. Oh and Fresh water will kill anything in a salt water tank.

Never stick bare hands in a salt water tank, there are to many things that can cut, bite or even sting you :yikes

yea, im going to watch my water chemistry for over a month, and make sure the tank is safe before even thinking of adding any fish. now i gotta watch this bristle worm thing, and try spot anything else in the tank. im going to get my rock first. and then a skimmer, perhaps with a home made sump.

i better get myself some gloves! lol

here is some pic's, its not much, but at least you get to see what im starting with. more to come when i get further along.

Pic's

Day 1

020.jpg

Day 2

022.jpg

Now where have I seen that tank before?? :heart

That tank has sure seen some major makeovers over the years! Im positive that this look will be the best yet for this tank.

One more now :lol

haha yea im marking on the map all the fish stores we plan on going to. we plan on getting up at 6am and be on the way around 7:30-8am. im going to have a hard time sleeping tonight! :krazy:

YEY i got my rock! also bought a VorTech.

uploading pics now :)

-another thing, i think i started this thread in the wrong spot, i wanted it in the main marine board, its accidently under equipment :lol

Day8_aquascaped.jpg

Here is my setup now, i have the rocks setup how i like them. i love it!

i found some floresent green stuff, and purple stuff with hairs, and some "sponge" on a couple of the rocks a picked up.

I was soo happy with the place i got my rock, they basicly had a store in the basment of their house. they were so friendly and talked our ears off. I pick op some great information from them, i think i found my favorit fish store!

im working on figureing out how to link my picture journal on photobucket

:)