Hikari Fish Foods

devilduck

I have decided I need some fresh food as my current stuff I've had about 4-5 months and it says to use within two...there's still quite a lot left, I don't think I used to feed them enough when they were tiny, I don't want to throw it out so I might make it into gel-food or something.

What I'm looking for is what to buy next, I was going to buy some more Hikari Oranda Gold which is what they've been having so far and they seem to be doing fine on, I was looking for Progold but I can't find it in the UK online, and it looks like I have a few choices.

Hikari Staple Mini - recommended for goldfish adults or baby koi, it's floating though which I'm trying to avoid (not particularly successfully, I soak the oranda gold and it still floats...) seems to be mostly carbs based but they get bloodworms too for protein http://www.birstall....cts/whik12.html

Hikari Wheatgerm Mini - same recommendation, lots of waffle about vitamins http://www.birstall....cts/whik13.html

Hikari Oranda Gold - this is their current diet http://www.birstall....cts/whik15.html

Aquarian Advanced Nutrition pellets - can't find much other than 'Clearer, cleaner water, sinking and floating pellet mix, brings out natural colours of your fish' which doesn't say much...

I haven't checked but I don't think Progold (unless I've just not looked in the right places in the UK) is worth paying the shipping for, I don't think I need a large quantity, but if the others don't compare I might consider buying a few small bags/pots/whatever it comes in.

Anyone can recommend any of these or something else???

Thanks

I would stick to their current diet. But don't forget to add other stuff for variety. Frozen Blood worms, brine shrimp, some peas, cucumbers, zucchini etc.....

Everyone swears by something different based on what has worked for them I suppose. Personally I have always used Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish sinking pellets/with probiotics. I like that the pellets are so tiny as I figure since fish have few teeth and so many digestive 'issues' tiny makes for less work for them.

It is great you are doing research and taking care about it. One thing seems universal, almost everybody here will most likely advise you on sinking over floating food :)

I'll have a look into both the Saki-Hikari (which I think I've seen in my lfs) and the Hikari Lionhead. When I bought the Oranda Gold I didn't realise it was floating or I might have looked for something else. It gets soaked before it goes in the tank so at least it's softened...

I like the idea of the Saki Hikari as it's tiny, I would like something I can feed my minnows as well as the goldfish, at the moment they're on the rejected goldfish flakes from too long ago with occasional bloodworms, they're getting new food as well and if I can get something I can use in both tanks so much the better. The minnows don't seem to be picky.

The Saki Hikari is a step up from the Lionhead Hikari - but it is very hard to come by. You have to go to an importer around here. I just spent $65 for a bag of it!

For everything but the "best" fish, I like the Hikari Lionhead. It is very protien rich, so you need to make sure you balance it with plenty of greens in all but the fall.

I do not like the Oranda. It is almost, ingredient to ingredient, the same as the Lionhead except that it does NOT float. I have mistakenly gotten floating foods in the past and end up having to use them in gel.

ProGold is a fine food, but it almost seems to me that they either changed the formula or the fish, themselves, changed. I never used to have any fish that were sensitive to it, but now it seems practically EVERY one is.... and gets floaty if fed ProGold. I have several packets of it vacumn packed and stored - and do not know if I will ever use it! PErhaps it is just the lines of fish I have.... I do not know.

I think, having looked at an image, the Saki Hikari is what I have seen in my LFS at about ?8-?12 a bag unless there is another Hikari in dark purple bags, which I thought was a bit on the expensive side but I might consider if it's really good. I will check tomorrow. I can post you some if it's the same stuff! :P It would be a lot cheaper than $65 even with postage!

Personally I have always used Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish sinking pellets/with probiotics. I like that the pellets are so tiny as I figure since fish have few teeth and so many digestive 'issues' tiny makes for less work for them.

I just got my hands on a bag of Saki-Hikari and tried it for the first time this morning. I'm hoping very much that the teeny-tiny pellets will help my super-sensitive floaty calico Ranchu with her issues.

If the Saki-Hikari does half of what it claims on the bag, then WOW. Should be some seriously wonderful food. Knowing that an expert like Daryl uses it makes me feel pretty good about it, too.

To get Hikari Oranda Gold to sink (I bought it by mistake once), soak in water before feeding, then squeeze the air out of the pellets before dropping them in the tank. It's a total pain, but it does make them sink.

Be sure to post about your floaty fish. I have one too and would be soooo willing to switch over also.

Be sure to post about your floaty fish. I have one too and would be soooo willing to switch over also.

Will do! I gave her about 3 or 4 of the teeny-tiny Saki-Hikari pellets this morning before leaving for work. I'm hoping SO much that she's not floating when I get home. I'll post a follow-up for you!

Personally I have always used Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish sinking pellets/with probiotics.

I started using this food about 2 months ago. The fish seem to do very well with it. No floaters or tippers - and the colors are great.

I think, having looked at an image, the Saki Hikari is what I have seen in my LFS at about ?8-?12 a bag unless there is another Hikari in dark purple bags, which I thought was a bit on the expensive side but I might consider if it's really good. I will check tomorrow. I can post you some if it's the same stuff! :P It would be a lot cheaper than $65 even with postage!

There are 4 kinds as far as I know. At least here. The green pack has no probiotics in but is good. The purple pack is packed with lactobacter/probiotics. The red and blue packs are different shaped pellets for fry.

i have purple bag of saki-hikari .Feed them to my fish for two months now. My calico ranchu been floaty for awhile. These saki-hikari dont help much but won't make them worst either . I guess that a good sign. Like Darly said pro gold also made my ranchu float . I stopped feeding them .

Personally I have always used Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish sinking pellets/with probiotics. I like that the pellets are so tiny as I figure since fish have few teeth and so many digestive 'issues' tiny makes for less work for them.

I just got my hands on a bag of Saki-Hikari and tried it for the first time this morning. I'm hoping very much that the teeny-tiny pellets will help my super-sensitive floaty calico Ranchu with her issues.

If the Saki-Hikari does half of what it claims on the bag, then WOW. Should be some seriously wonderful food. Knowing that an expert like Daryl uses it makes me feel pretty good about it, too.

To get Hikari Oranda Gold to sink (I bought it by mistake once), soak in water before feeding, then squeeze the air out of the pellets before dropping them in the tank. It's a total pain, but it does make them sink.

Wonder if we got our calico ranchus from the same source (Super sensitive floaty calico ranchus) LOL.....

I think, having looked at an image, the Saki Hikari is what I have seen in my LFS at about ?8-?12 a bag ...

Oooh you're lucky! I pay ?15 a bag for mine!

Personally I have always used Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish sinking pellets/with probiotics.

I started using this food about 2 months ago. The fish seem to do very well with it. No floaters or tippers - and the colors are great.

My fish give the fins up for this food too. It seemed to help one of my upsidey-down fish and one who suffered a floaty bottom at times :D

Wonder if we got our calico ranchus from the same source (Super sensitive floaty calico ranchus) LOL.....

Ha! Dang floaty calico ranchus...

As a follow-up, Saki-Hikari still made my ranchu float. sad.gif And I only fed her 4 of the teeny-tiny pellets. SIGH.

I'm going to keep feeding this food as a major part of their diet, though. I really like the ingredients and the feedback I've heard from others so far.

I got the Saki-Hikari, it was ?11 for 200g so pretty pricey, but better than the flakes they seem to offer as an alternative. My fish aren't fussy and have thus far not have floaty issues even with floating food so I'm not expecting any problems....

The 1kg bag was ?35 so I was hoping it was a 1kg bag Daryl got otherwise she really really got ripped off!

• 2 weeks later...

I also purchased saki-hikari after reading the positive feedback about them on here (gosh I've spent so much on goldfish food already hehe). When I opened the pack I was stunned at how tiny the pellets were! With pro-gold I only fed them 2-3 pellets each ... but with saki-hikari I'm at 6-7 each because they're so small. Hopefully this isn't too much. I alternate between pro-gold, brine shrimp, peas, salad supreme, spirulina flakes, broccoli and saki-hikari. Hopefully between all these they're getting all the nutrients they need :) .