Sign in to follow this  
Jesi

Fish Floating On Side.

I would do another 50 % water change a real good gravel vacuum and than add the first dose of salt. Add another dose of salt in 12 hours, and than another in 12 more and you will be good. The salt will take care of the Ich. I know people on here do 1 teaspoon per gallon, but I just do 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and I never have had a problem. Also, I just put the salt in the HOB filter and let it dissolve on its own and release into the tank slowly. Some people dissolve it first in a cup of tank water and add it that way. To each their own, just salt and they should be fine.

BTW, did you get your test kits and definitely take back the expired meds and try and return the pleco.

Norm

NO, didn't get the test kit, have to wait until tomorrow, the money I was supposed to be getting for selling some things on craigslist fell through, but another guy is going to purchase tomorrow evening. I would imagine levels are pretty good right now considering I've done 2 water changes today alone! LOL

Yeah, that's how I salted, 1 tsp per gallon dissolved in water.

We used to have a filter on our faucet but the threading wore down so it was leaking, I'm probably going to get a new one this weekend so I can use filtered water for my water changes so it's a little bit less harsh.

I just wanted to pop in quickly to say that using filtered water for your fish might not be the best thing. These filters (examples: Brita & Pur) not only remove chlorines and heavy metals but I think they also remove any minerals that are naturally present in the water. If I were you I would stick to regular tap water and the dechlorinator. :thumb:

We used to have a filter on our faucet but the threading wore down so it was leaking, I'm probably going to get a new one this weekend so I can use filtered water for my water changes so it's a little bit less harsh.

I just wanted to pop in quickly to say that using filtered water for your fish might not be the best thing. These filters (examples: Brita & Pur) not only remove chlorines and heavy metals but I think they also remove any minerals that are naturally present in the water. If I were you I would stick to regular tap water and the dechlorinator. :thumb:

Yes - this is a very important point because it is an issue of PH.

Just for clarity's sake:

Tap water, if treated with dechlorinator, will not be harsh on the fish but it will contain important minerals which provide alkalinity etc.

Filtered water is stripped of bad things (which dechlor handles, anyway) but also of it's alkalinity, too. You then have the problem that there is insufficient alkalinity to balance the acidity of the fishes waste and your tank can develop a shifting PH or even crash. Right now you are looking to keep stress to a minimum and a dropping or shifting PH causes a lot of stress.

I would certainly avoid filtered water.

Also, if you potentially have degraded Formalin in your tank, you would best do a 100% water change.

For demonstration purposes, say you have 10 parts of Paraformaldehyde in the tank. Changing 50% of the water brings that down to 5parts.

Change 50% again and you STILL have 2.5 parts. Change it 50% AGAIN, and you STILL have 1.25 parts. When dealing with many poisons, it is important to not simply dilute it, but to remove it.

In a 10 gallon tank, little to no cycle, only 2 fish and a dirty substrate that is potentially harboring juvenile ich, I would suggest filling a clean bucket with some of your tank water, lifting the fish in there and then emptying the entire tank, rinsing the gravel really really well as you do. Take the gravel OUT to rinse if you need to. Then replace all the water again. Then lift the fish back in and dump the old water.

In doing this, you will remove any traces of the poison that was in there, you can measure your salt accurately from the beginning, and you will have left as many of the ich swarmers behind in the old water. This can dramatically reduce the numbers of parasitss with which you must deal. (One of the time honored treatments for many parasites is tub to tub - 100% clean every day. When you are dealing with a parasite that has a life stage that is OFF the fish, this works ideally.)

10 gallons can be changed in 5-10 minutes ..... not a big deal. Remember, most 10 gallon tanks only hold 9 gallons.

Thanks for all the tips! The salt got rid of the ich! THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY OTHER FISH! Also glad to know I won't have to "waste" filtered water on my fish. They are part of our family and we love them, but that would have made them even more costly having to do frequent water changes, we barely remember to buy new faucet filters for ourselves as it is!

I still haven't gotten my test kit, but will DEFINITELY get it Friday...I'd really like the all in one from Wal*mart, it's the cheapest but it can only be purchased online, so I might just do that. It's only $17 something and it has all the tests in a big kit. That same one is like $30 everywhere else. It might be the same or cheaper to buy them individually though, so I'll look into it tomorrow. Surprise surprise, the guy who was supposed to follow through bailed on his purchase yesterday as well! I hate Craigslist!!!!!

Now my water is assumingly at 0.3% salinity due to my one fish having ich. The last dose of salt was administered late this morning. How long should I keep it at that salinity? I want to keep doing frequent water changes until I get my test kit and my other 10 gallon set up. I'd also like to get rid of this pleco, as he's pretty much useless I suppose and he seriously creeps me out. I'm literally afraid of him, I hate putting my hand in the water for ANY purpose when I have a pleco, not because I've been attacked or anything, but I am scared to death I will! I don't know if they even will, he's just so ugly. So should I do another water change today or wait for ALL the ich to clear? The fish had a lot on his tail and a little on his body. Now I probably can only see 5 spots over all, so it's still not completely gone, but like I said, last bit of salt was added this morning.

Also debating if I should just get a 20 gallon tank instead of setting up my other 10 gallon and keeping the 10 gallon I have set up for a sick tank if anything should happen again so I can quarantine my fish.

Thanks again for all the help!

WOOT glad things are looking up.

I would go for the 20 gallon. Not much bigger foot print then the 10 and like you said then you well have your 10 for treating problems but lets hope you wont have anymore.

As for the test strips. I have used them in the past and it that is all you can afford then better then nothing but they are not as accurate as the drops. So maybe just get them and after you recover so to speak for all the buying of meds, tanks ect... get the drops.

Good luck.

I would say to get the 20 gallon. The more water, the better. Kind of pricey up front, but it will prove cheaper in the long haul :D

Plus, like you said, you'd still have the 10 gallon as a quarentine :)

WOOT glad things are looking up.

I would go for the 20 gallon. Not much bigger foot print then the 10 and like you said then you well have your 10 for treating problems but lets hope you wont have anymore.

As for the test strips. I have used them in the past and it that is all you can afford then better then nothing but they are not as accurate as the drops. So maybe just get them and after you recover so to speak for all the buying of meds, tanks ect... get the drops.

Good luck.

Woops! Did I write strips? I meant drops! I'm just so used to hearing the word test strips in other aspects of peoples lives I never hear test drops, but that's what I would prefer also, more accurate, and it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing. Like a chemist or something! Ha!

Looking on my local Buffalo area Craigslist for fish tanks... I found a 40 gallon for $40... No accessories which is fine with me...deal or no deal? LOL Help me figure out what average prices are for tanks so I know what to jump on and what to pass!

UPDATE! Just found a 55 gallon for $25...now I KNOW that's a good deal! I hope it's still available! EEEEEEEEE!

Edited by Jesi

Both great deals if you ask me, but especially the 55 as long as it doesn't leak or anything.

I paid $100 for my 55 with a stand and thought that was a deal :P

That is a good price for a tank.

Ich are not particularly difficult to control, but do require a bit of time. The parasite forms a small "egg" that will stay in the gravel of a tank for ..... a LONG time. When the fish are stressed (water parameters slip, temp slips, etc.) they hatch out and attack the fish. They burrow under the skin of the fish, growing to adults, there. What you are seeing are the adults growing under the fish's skin - the white is just the fish's skin stretched tightly over the parasites like a pimple.

When the parasites are adults, they burst out of the "pimple" - releasing more "swarmers".... little swimming nasties that will swim around for a few hours to days before they attach to the fish, burrow under the skin and start it all over again.

It is possible for a fish to die from ich without you ever even seeing a white "pimple" - if concentrations are high enough. The salt can only kill the swarmers in the water - it cannot touch any that are encysted under the gravel or under the fish's skin. This is why you need to keep the salt high enough to kill for long enough that you hope all the ich come out of the fish and are killed. This is also why, if you change out 100% of the water, you are dumping ALL the swarmers down the drain - and you only have to deal with those that come from under the fish's skin. (And any hiding in a dirty substrate.)

Ich can open up a fish to bacterial infection - a viscious circle. The water parameters slip, the ich attacks, wounding the fish and an opportunistic bacterial infection sets in and kills.

Do not stop treatment too soon.

That is a good price for a tank.

Ich are not particularly difficult to control, but do require a bit of time. The parasite forms a small "egg" that will stay in the gravel of a tank for ..... a LONG time. When the fish are stressed (water parameters slip, temp slips, etc.) they hatch out and attack the fish. They burrow under the skin of the fish, growing to adults, there. What you are seeing are the adults growing under the fish's skin - the white is just the fish's skin stretched tightly over the parasites like a pimple.

When the parasites are adults, they burst out of the "pimple" - releasing more "swarmers".... little swimming nasties that will swim around for a few hours to days before they attach to the fish, burrow under the skin and start it all over again.

It is possible for a fish to die from ich without you ever even seeing a white "pimple" - if concentrations are high enough. The salt can only kill the swarmers in the water - it cannot touch any that are encysted under the gravel or under the fish's skin. This is why you need to keep the salt high enough to kill for long enough that you hope all the ich come out of the fish and are killed. This is also why, if you change out 100% of the water, you are dumping ALL the swarmers down the drain - and you only have to deal with those that come from under the fish's skin. (And any hiding in a dirty substrate.)

Ich can open up a fish to bacterial infection - a viscious circle. The water parameters slip, the ich attacks, wounding the fish and an opportunistic bacterial infection sets in and kills.

Do not stop treatment too soon.

Well what's a good timeframe? A week? A month? Should I do a 100% water change and then put 0.3% of salt back into the water?

My oscar had ich. Didn't see it till the day after I bought him home. I treated for a week after all signs of ich were gone.

Just like Daryl said make sure when your doing a water change hun, do a gravel siphon, the eggs go down there and will hatch again, one reason to treat with salt for a week to kill the hole cycle of this bug....kinda like fleas on cats. :o

That's actually the ONLY way I do a water change so I don't make a mess! LOL...is there another way people do a water change? I'm imagining buckets and water everywhere...LOL

Well I dont have gravel hun, I used to do it the bucket method but I got a Python now so its just siphon out the door and on the lawn and fill up from the tap, with prime and buffitup for me :)

That's actually the ONLY way I do a water change so I don't make a mess! LOL...is there another way people do a water change? I'm imagining buckets and water everywhere...LOL

Now that you mention it, I don't remember how I did waterchanges before I had a siphon (waaaaaaaaaay back in the day). I think I bailed it out with a jug...had to be messy!