Fish Floating On Side.

Jesi

Just did another water change, about 50%... didn't add back any salt yet, want to help this fish first. Added more Aquasafe.

Fish now has white fluffy looking fungus on the side that's always down in the area where I think the other fish were nipping his belly. Hopefully someone can help diagnose my fish instead of my water. I am buying a water test kit tonight to help with any water issues, but I think since I've done a water change every day for the past 4 or 5 days now, that should be the last of my worries. I know I've seen fungus clear stuff at nnnnnn, I'll just see what that's about I guess.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is making your fish sick is the water and being in much to small of a tank.

Until you can address that problem your child's pet well keep getting sick and possible die.

No way around it. Larger tank means healthier pets.

• Admin

Okay Please lets all calm down and stop with the name calling....this wont work with me... :ignore

Fungus will grow on wonds if the water isnt clean enough for it to heal right. If you do get meds to treat this, this fish will need to be placed in another tank. Reason being if you treat this fish with the others in that small tank you will over load the water quality and might possible kill them.

Okay Please lets all calm down and stop with the name calling....this wont work with me... :ignore

Fungus will grow on wonds if the water isnt clean enough for it to heal right. If you do get meds to treat this, this fish will need to be placed in another tank. Reason being if you treat this fish with the others in that small tank you will over load the water quality and might possible kill them.

Well it doesn't work for me when someone attacks me clearly stating they are not nice and then said rude things. I'd like it addressed thank you.

I contacted my LPS, they gave me Desafin (Anyone heard of it?) Told me to treat with that, it's meant for ponds, but they just calculated for me for my 10 gallon and told me to put 2 mL in the water. It's meant to treat and prevent ick, bacterial growth, and fungus. They told me to leave the other fish in the tank just in case they have whatever he has as well, as this stuff is meant to prevent as well as treat. Anyone familiar with that? Does that sound good? They didn't tell me whether or not to keep my filtration system going or not, I know some medications need the filter removed because it will just get filtered out. I have it currently removed to see if it helps the fish any.

Wow :(

You have gotten responses and advice from the most experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum. If you really don't want to consider the water take a look at some of the pinned threads on disease and diagnosis and you may find some information about good meds (I'm not experienced with fungus, so won't be making any suggestions). I agree with Koko about removing your fish rather than subjecting them all to the meds, especially the pleco because they can have bad reactions. And make sure the filter doesn't have carbon as it will remove any medications you add.

• Admin

I would rather you and everyone else drop it, cause Im getting Irritated now.

As for that med, I myself have never used it. I have used other meds like that. If the LFS said to leave the other fish in there well that would be your choice. With the Bio load in the tank I would suggest against it, also Pleco's are very sensitive to meds since they dont have scales on them. Most meds need the carbon out of the filter but they can run with just filter floss. I would also highly suggest not to turn off this filter as its helping to keep the tank clean and giving fish O2.

Another helping suggestion meds like this is going to ruin the cycle if you have one so the ammonia level may go up again.

I would rather you and everyone else drop it, cause Im getting Irritated now.

As for that med, I myself have never used it. I have used other meds like that. If the LFS said to leave the other fish in there well that would be your choice. With the Bio load in the tank I would suggest against it, also Pleco's are very sensitive to meds since they dont have scales on them. Most meds need the carbon out of the filter but they can run with just filter floss. I would also highly suggest not to turn off this filter as its helping to keep the tank clean and giving fish O2.

Another helping suggestion meds like this is going to ruin the cycle if you have one so the ammonia level may go up again.

I've been irritated for days with this thread, so welcome to the club. I used to come on here all the time in 2004 and 2005, and never had such an issue, but whatever, must be the miserable economy. I am completely aware that my tank is *too small* and whatnot. Nothing I can do about it today so I'm quite sure doing daily water changes as I have been this past week will suffice. I'm worried about my fish. The pet store said my levels were fine and this is what they gave me to use. Bottom line is, my fish has fungus and needs help. Tonight I plan on going and getting the supplies I need to check and test water levels myself. But the fish still has fungus and having clean water isn't going to just cure the fish, he needs meds.

I have the filtration system still running to keep the water flowing, but I took the carbon filter out. My filter's are all attached, so I don't have just floss, but I can pick some up today if that will help with debris. I have a large airtube that produces lots of oxygen for the tank.

What meds would you suggest other than this Desafin? If you have another better choice, should I do another water change or leave the Desafin in the water? It says not to mix it with other meds, so would a 100% water change and a new med be better?

I'm starting to get really confused because my LPS has been owned and operated since my mom was a child and is well known for the good care they have for their fish. They have a bad rep with reptiles, but I'm assuming that's been resolved because they have them back again. Anyhow, it seems like everything the pet store tells me, this forum contradicts. I am at a loss. This forum is making me look like an idiot because I'm going by what my pet store is telling me, giving me advice that they've been using themselves for years. I'm not saying any of you are wrong, but when I say that my pet store tested my water and said that's not the issue today, why is that all anyone can talk about. It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like stabbing yourself with a dirty knife (The water.) and then leaving it in your skin for a few days. It's going to get infected (Like my fish is.) and removing the dirty knife isn't going to just cure the infection, the infection still needs to be treated. My fish still needs to be treated even when his water is clean and not one post in this ridiculously dramatic thread is helping me with any sort of med. What difference does it make as to what is nasty in the water, regardless of that, the fish still has fungus that needs to be cured. I doubt there are different types of meds for different types of fungus that really need to know what my water is like. Maybe there are, but I've never seen them and I've been in tons of pet stores in the area, all pretty basic to me treating ick, fungus, cloudy water, etc.

I came on here for some suggestions and help, so if no one has a suggestion for meds, then thanks anyway.

• Admin

I didnt say not to use that med, I just said I never have used it. I would give it a try.

As for you talking about the "dirty knife" thing. Well think of it this way, goldfish rely on clean water, they eat, sleep and poop in there water. If they get an injury in this water and it isnt clean, its like they are getting poop rubbed in to a sore. They can do anything about it, and all the meds and what put in there water cant help.

As for LFS saying your water is okay did they give you numbers or just say its okay. I just dont want to fight, I want to help your fish.

I didnt say not to use that med, I just said I never have used it. I would give it a try.

As for you talking about the "dirty knife" thing. Well think of it this way, goldfish rely on clean water, they eat, sleep and poop in there water. If they get an injury in this water and it isnt clean, its like they are getting poop rubbed in to a sore. They can do anything about it, and all the meds and what put in there water cant help.

As for LFS saying your water is okay did they give you numbers or just say its okay. I just dont want to fight, I want to help your fish.

No, they didn't give me any numbers... That's why I am getting my own testing supplies tonight. The only one I have currently is for pH, which is always at 7.6 which they were saying was high. This whole fiasco started with 2 other fish dying. One replaced the other and then they wouldn't give me another because they said my pH was too high. But he was totally thrown off because I told him what I had in my tank and the fact that it was set up for 2 weeks with no fish and only 1 week with fish, he automatically assumed pH was the factor. But on here everyone is saying high pH isn't bad, so I don't know what that guy was talking about, I spent days (probably torturing the fish) trying to lower the pH. And now this one has the fungus...

How long until I see results with that med? (Or how long should it be? So that I know it's working?) It says I can repeat dosage in 7 days, so I'm assuming all traces of it will vanish in a week.

After I get my testing supplies, I'll repost with my current numbers so we can figure out what else is going on. What else do I need? I'm probably going to go to Wal*mart, my LPS is always seemingly out of supplies, they can't keep enough pH lowering liquid in stock so I'm sure there other stuff is dwindling, plus they close early. I already have pH...lead me in the right direction! I know liquids test more accurately than the strips, and I got my pH stuff from Wal*mart and the brand is API.

They don't have the giant tackle box testing kit thingie that I've seen, only online, so I'll just have to buy the testing solutions seperately, assuming they have what I need... But at least tell me what's dire right now and I'll have to search around other places if Wal*mart doesn't have them.

Edited by Jesi

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph tests are what are in the big kit, so if you get those you will be good.

Norm

Awesome, thanks!

• Admin

I personally wouldnt be messing with the PH, if your Ph stays at above the 7.0 mark goldfish will be happy. They are the happiest in the 7.0 to 7.8 mark and even up to 8.0 they dont like it lower than that. I would also test it out of the tap to make sure its the same in the tank a .5 change from tap water into a tank can cause a problem.

Best things with meds is to do the full treatment, then do a 50% water change let the fish rest for 24-48 hours, test the tank, making sure the water quality is good. If the fish is having the same problem let us know then we can figure out from the tests and how the fish is doing what to do next. Over medicating isnt good on young fish it just stresses them out. :(

I personally wouldnt be messing with the PH, if your Ph stays at above the 7.0 mark goldfish will be happy. They are the happiest in the 7.0 to 7.8 mark and even up to 8.0 they dont like it lower than that. I would also test it out of the tap to make sure its the same in the tank a .5 change from tap water into a tank can cause a problem.

Best things with meds is to do the full treatment, then do a 50% water change let the fish rest for 24-48 hours, test the tank, making sure the water quality is good. If the fish is having the same problem let us know then we can figure out from the tests and how the fish is doing what to do next. Over medicating isnt good on young fish it just stresses them out. :(

I actually tested my tap water the same day I got the pH solution to see if there was a difference, and my tap water was also 7.6, the highest on the scale. We used to have a filter on our faucet but the threading wore down so it was leaking, I'm probably going to get a new one this weekend so I can use filtered water for my water changes so it's a little bit less harsh.

Should I still test the other water levels today or is there no point right now?

• Admin

I agree definitely test, if you got that med in the water you will need to keep a close eye on the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, if the ammonia gets to 1.o you will need to do a small water change to keep it from burning the fish :)

I agree definitely test, if you got that med in the water you will need to keep a close eye on the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, if the ammonia gets to 1.o you will need to do a small water change to keep it from burning the fish :)

Ok thanks everyone for your help. I'll repost later once my hubby gets home so I can go buy the supplies and I'll reply with my numbers so we can go from there if anything more needs to be done. Thanks again!

I am sorry that you were frustrated with what information you were given. We were frustrated on this end, too.

I just wanted to pop in and add a bit of important information on your medication "Desafin". Desafin is a formalin based treatment - more commonly sold for pond fish and large tubs. If you have found it in a smaller bottle, though, I am glad.... the big one can be pricey.

Formalin will, in most cases, treat fungus - as well as a wide spectrum of parasites. THere are a FEW bacterial infections that it may "annoy", but there are not many bad bacteria that will truly be affected by its use.

FOrmalin is really 37% formaldahyde gas in a water solution. It will kill any beneficial bacteria that you may have built in your filter - and will kill your cycle. If you wish, remove your media for the treatment time - and feed it ammonia in another water container to maintain and continue to grow.

Formalin also consumed oxygen from the water in GREAT quantities. A standard dose can consume all the dissolved oxygen in a tank - leaving NONE. This means that it is ABSOULUTELY essential that you add a LOT of extra aeration when using Formalin in a tank - particularly a small one. Add extra air stones, fix your filter return so that it splashes, open up the tank lid - set a fan blowing across the surface. Do not use this medication in warm water - 80F or so. Warm water holds a lot less oxygen - and that, with the medication, can suffocate the fish in no time at all. If the fish start gasping at the surface stop treatment immediately.

Many hobbists only will use a 1/2 strength dose of Formalin - particularly when treating a fungus. Sick, weak or small fish may not be able to take the medication... it is a poison. The idea is to poison the parasites or the fungus enough that it dies before the poison kills the larger organism, the fish.

One last caution.... I am a bit concerned about the medication.... because Desafin is no longer "Deasfin". The company that made it was bought out - and Tetra now makes the medication.... renaming it "Tetra Pond : Pond Fish Treatment". Because "Desafin" has not been made for a while, I am concerned about the age of the bottle that you have purchased. When Formalin degrades - over time it does.... by how much and how quickly is a factor of how it is stored as well as age - it forms a white gunk in the bottom of the bottle that is called "Paraformaldahyde". This substance is horribly toxic and you must not use a degraded form of Formalin that has this whitish precipitate.

I am sorry that you were frustrated with what information you were given. We were frustrated on this end, too.

I just wanted to pop in and add a bit of important information on your medication "Desafin". Desafin is a formalin based treatment - more commonly sold for pond fish and large tubs. If you have found it in a smaller bottle, though, I am glad.... the big one can be pricey.

Formalin will, in most cases, treat fungus - as well as a wide spectrum of parasites. THere are a FEW bacterial infections that it may "annoy", but there are not many bad bacteria that will truly be affected by its use.

FOrmalin is really 37% formaldahyde gas in a water solution. It will kill any beneficial bacteria that you may have built in your filter - and will kill your cycle. If you wish, remove your media for the treatment time - and feed it ammonia in another water container to maintain and continue to grow.

Formalin also consumed oxygen from the water in GREAT quantities. A standard dose can consume all the dissolved oxygen in a tank - leaving NONE. This means that it is ABSOULUTELY essential that you add a LOT of extra aeration when using Formalin in a tank - particularly a small one. Add extra air stones, fix your filter return so that it splashes, open up the tank lid - set a fan blowing across the surface. Do not use this medication in warm water - 80F or so. Warm water holds a lot less oxygen - and that, with the medication, can suffocate the fish in no time at all. If the fish start gasping at the surface stop treatment immediately.

Many hobbists only will use a 1/2 strength dose of Formalin - particularly when treating a fungus. Sick, weak or small fish may not be able to take the medication... it is a poison. The idea is to poison the parasites or the fungus enough that it dies before the poison kills the larger organism, the fish.

One last caution.... I am a bit concerned about the medication.... because Desafin is no longer "Deasfin". The company that made it was bought out - and Tetra now makes the medication.... renaming it "Tetra Pond : Pond Fish Treatment". Because "Desafin" has not been made for a while, I am concerned about the age of the bottle that you have purchased. When Formalin degrades - over time it does.... by how much and how quickly is a factor of how it is stored as well as age - it forms a white gunk in the bottom of the bottle that is called "Paraformaldahyde". This substance is horribly toxic and you must not use a degraded form of Formalin that has this whitish precipitate.

Mine is in a green bottle, made by TetraPond and it says Desafin in big letters on the front. It is for ponds but they said it will work just the same in here. I don't have my filter in the filter unit right now, but my large air tube is going strong, but I'll open the valve a little more to let more oxygen in. My tank is reading at 76 degrees F.

What do you mean by feed it ammonia? Like ammonia in a bottle because I have some? By media, do you mean my filter and biofiber?

On another note, it must be working because the "fluffy" white fungus on the fish is no longer fluffy. All are swimming around strong, but my water is looking a little murky from me doing the water change and stirring up a little debris, now that the filter isn't in there I think that's why.

Should my Desafin stuff have an expiration date on it?

• Admin

All meds should have an expiration date on them :) As for the ammonia Daryl was talking about shes talking about Pure ammonia, it cant have any dyes or anything added to it. Just pure Ammonia :) Have a rubber made container or tank and place the media in there with some tank water and ammonia this will help feed the filter media that was in the tank and keep it from loosing the Bio bugs that were growing on it.

All meds should have an expiration date on them :) As for the ammonia Daryl was talking about shes talking about Pure ammonia, it cant have any dyes or anything added to it. Just pure Ammonia :) Have a rubber made container or tank and place the media in there with some tank water and ammonia this will help feed the filter media that was in the tank and keep it from loosing the Bio bugs that were growing on it.

Yes I do have a jug of that pure ammonia... Downside is, I won't be using it today, sadly my fish passed away. I'm currently doing a big water change to get any of that out of the water. Hopefully my other fish remain healthy! :(

Yes I do have a jug of that pure ammonia... Downside is, I won't be using it today, sadly my fish passed away. I'm currently doing a big water change to get any of that out of the water. Hopefully my other fish remain healthy! :(

Also, I'm never using that stuff again or taking advice from the pet store. The expiration was in 2006! I'm returning it. I'm not going back there for any advice again, I'm too worried this will happen again. They've lost my business.

• Admin

Im sorry, you will be amazed of all the years that some of us raising goldfish, and alot of LFS just rather you buy more goldfish from them, since they are so cheep for them...Again Im sorry..

I do hope you get a bigger tank for them though :)

Im sorry, you will be amazed of all the years that some of us raising goldfish, and alot of LFS just rather you buy more goldfish from them, since they are so cheep for them...Again Im sorry..

I do hope you get a bigger tank for them though :)

So now I'm down to 2 fish, a black oranda and a calico ryukin. I still have the pleco, but I'm wondering if I can get the petstore to take him back, since he's ugly and otherise useless, there's no algae in my tank for him to eat, and I keep reading on here he could attack my other fish, while I've NEVER had that happen, I don't even want to run the risk.

So now onto a new issue! :) I just did about a 50% water change, re-added my salt, so I'm at 0.1% salinity (is there any way to test that anyhow?), re-added my Easy Balance with Nitraban, and my Aquasafe.

Everything looks good, put my filter and biofiber back on, put my hood back on for the first time in well over a week, turn the light on and.....................my calico ryukin looks like he has ich/ick. Great. It looks like there's salt sprinkled all over his tail and a few spots on his body. For the love of fish... What do I do now??? LOL

I'm not going to be able to get a bigger tank right away, but what I can do is set up my other 10 gallon fish tank. Should I bother quarantining him? Should I get some medication? That Desafin stuff says not to mix it with other meds, but I did a half water change and have my filter in, so will that get it all out or should I do something different? Ugh.

Also any other chemicals or anything I should be adding to the water to keep things good or is what I have ok?

Edited by Jesi

I would do another 50 % water change a real good gravel vacuum and than add the first dose of salt. Add another dose of salt in 12 hours, and than another in 12 more and you will be good. The salt will take care of the Ich. I know people on here do 1 teaspoon per gallon, but I just do 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and I never have had a problem. Also, I just put the salt in the HOB filter and let it dissolve on its own and release into the tank slowly. Some people dissolve it first in a cup of tank water and add it that way. To each their own, just salt and they should be fine.

BTW, did you get your test kits and definitely take back the expired meds and try and return the pleco.

Norm

Edited by acenorm