I'M Back With Questions :)

Bubbleboy

Hey everyone, new and old, I'm back!

I'm sorry my absence was so long. I became very busy toward the end of my school year, with studying and life just became complicated for me. Don't worry, I still took and continue to take good care of my darling goldfish, Fiona. :)

I just had a question about her feeding regimens.

If anyone here remembers me from a while ago, you will remember also that my only Goldfish, Fiona, has always had a sensitive stomach. Given prepared foods (flakes, pellets, gel food) her stomach bloats and she has a nasty case of the floats and struggled to remain right side up. It absolutely broke my heart, so I started feeding her only natural, fresh or frozen foods that I prepare myself only minutes prior to feeding (these foods include fresh, blanched spinach/broccoli and thawed brine shrimp). I did feed her twice a day for a long time, but given her sensitivity to foods, I decreased her feeding to once a day. I alternate every day between greens and brine shrimp, one feeding per day, and she seems happy and healthy. To my greatest pleasure, She has not had one case of bloating since her new diet has been in order. However, I do sometimes wonder if she is hungry with her once a day feeding? I always take to heart the saying "a hungry goldfish is a happy goldfish" but being a goldfish parent, we always wonder about our dear aquatic friends.

Just for specifications, Fiona is an almost 3 year old Telescope eye goldfish. She resides by herself in her furnished, 29 gallon tank, with 50 percent water changes every week. She currently has 2 filters running (a common hang on filter and a canister filter with UV sterilizer) as well as an aerator.

Once again, hello everyone. It's good to be back :)

~Bubbleboy

Wow. You take very good care of your goldie. She is lucky to have come to you. Congratulations. You deserve to be very proud.

Wow. You take very good care of your goldie. She is lucky to have come to you. Congratulations. You deserve to be very proud.

Thank you Anielynn. A Goldfish keeper is always pleased to hear he takes good care of his fish. I'm sure you are quite the fish keeper yourself :) .

it sounds like you have a very good grasp on how to keep goldfish. I would just like to add that the bulk of a goldfish's diet should be composed of vegetables. brine shrimp do make a good treat though, so I would feed that once or twice a week. it's difficult to say just how much you should be feeding your fish, but generally the right portions are much smaller then we think we should be feeding them. I wouldn't worry too much about under feeding your goldfish :)

it sounds like you have a very good grasp on how to keep goldfish. I would just like to add that the bulk of a goldfish's diet should be composed of vegetables. brine shrimp do make a good treat though, so I would feed that once or twice a week. it's difficult to say just how much you should be feeding your fish, but generally the right portions are much smaller then we think we should be feeding them. I wouldn't worry too much about under feeding your goldfish :)

Like I said, I've been keeping Fiona for almost 3 years now, and I've definitely been through a lot in terms of Goldfish care, so yes, I know my stuff :) . But I surely don't know everything, which is exactly why I come here to this valuable source of information. Where did you hear Vegetables are supposed to make up the bulk of the diet? I always thought that it was proper to balance vegetables with meats (brine shrimp, beef heart etc.) to get a healthy combination of minerals as well as proteins and fatty acids that goldfish need to stay healthy. Hmmm.