Osaka 155L Marine Reef.

jennybugs

I don't go away for more than a week Sarah. Or let's just say I haven't gone away for more than a week, yet :doh11:

I used to have a little VW camper that we went away in and towed an old retro caravan behind it, so we were never too far away from home. Now we just have the caravan and plan to take frequent short breaks in it instead of one or two long breaks.

I do spend a fair bit of my money on corals, but the tanks are filling up nicely now so I have not got such a need for them :D

I have a new scooter blenny (Toots - he looks like he's whistling!)...

s1.jpg

He's a bit gorgeous when he tries to chase off his reflection

t8.jpg

his colours go wild!

t4.jpg

you lookin' at me?

t5.jpg

t7.jpg

t6.jpg

t2.jpg

phew! That was HARD work!

t1.jpg

:o

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That is an awesome tank setup! That scooter blenny! WOW

We use to have a saltwater tank but never did get it to look anything like the one you have. My husband wants to set one up in our office, something smaller scaled than what we use to have which was a 75g which now holds my goldies. :)

I wonder if a 20g high would work? I have one on hand and then I could just buy the filter and lighting, already have all the other things for a saltwater tank pretty much. What do you think, would that be big enough for a small setup with mainly some nice corals and just a few farm raised fish?

wow. Very impressive. You've done a great job with it.

• 5 months later...

I wonder if a 20g high would work? I have one on hand and then I could just buy the filter and lighting, already have all the other things for a saltwater tank pretty much. What do you think, would that be big enough for a small setup with mainly some nice corals and just a few farm raised fish?

Sorry for the late reply! :lol: I would definately go for it! I had a 30Gal high tank running for a while and it was super. I had a toby puffer in it and some soft corals. It's now grown into a 180L Juwel Vision tank that's easier to get in to as I got sick of having to climb onto a decorating platform to get in to the tank.

I have lots of catch up to show you all on this tank!

I had a near wipe out because the pulsing xenia spread so much it went 'nuclear' on the tank and was slowly poisoning all my lovely corals :(

I ripped it all out and more or less started again...

Here's a timeline of tank shots from where I left off

os1-1.jpg

cush3.jpg

os7-1.jpg

the evil xenia

113.jpg

121.jpg

my weed wearing tuxedo urchin

122.jpg

my leopard toby puffer, Freckles

124.jpg

the tank started suffering

o12.jpg

so I pulled out all the xenia and started again with frags

8f449661.jpg

64c4a8cc.jpg

83f1b4ba.jpg

6b19dec6.jpg

50496d76.jpg

9568c223.jpg

4d1aab4e.jpg

the muppets and Ken-obi the pistol shrimp

31d0b10f.jpg

2a6be3ff.jpg

26c45a5c.jpg

48832184.jpg

c92f1e7c.jpg

c1bedb30.jpg

It's now getting back to its former glory I am pleased to say :D

04d1833d.jpg

c2922375.jpg

No sumps on any of my marine tanks hun. I run an external filter on this one (new skimmer being added soon) and a skimmer on the vision 180 (need to put pics of that tank up too lol) and a small internal on that.

I like things simple and manage to hide most stuff behind rockwork.

Edited by jennybugs

Your tank is really looking good. :) May I ask how many fish you have in it? I have a 29 gallon reef and I'm starting to add fish (after years of just keeping corals in it) so I'm just deciding exactly what I should/can add in.

I possilby am a little overstocked to be honest, but weekly water changes keep the params in check.

I have the following...

1 true perc clownfish

1 royal gramma

1 pygmy possum wrasse

1 pink scooter blenny

2 watchman gobies

1 leopard toby puffer

3 blue eyed cardinalfish

Apart from the gobies, they are all small fish so hopefully it's not too horrendous. I haven't lost a fish in here for some years, so I must be doing something right :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've had another bout of buying for this tank :ehh:whistle

First off we have a new little boyfriend for Georgina my tank bred percula clownfish in the guise of a tiny tank bred perc called Suma (short for satsuma)

03064707.jpg

he's really tiny compared to Georgina but has brought her out from the back of the tank to play in the polyps of the hammer coral and she seems quite chuffed!

c2f7f0e5.jpg

My ever inflating scholymia

c27fca7b.jpg

ec551ae9.jpg

frogspawn

2637a72f.jpg

37ce2742.jpg

rainbow montipora which is totally stunning and the pic can't capture the beautiful violet blue tissue of the base flesh of the coral

0422c05a.jpg

Montipora confusa

483ccc0d.jpg

Thank you for looking :D

So beautiful! I would love to have a saltwater tank...but I've heard they're difficult to keep up. Maybe I will have a go at one once I graduate from college and have more time...

I find it easy enough to care for the corals. The main things to think of ate flow, light, supplementation and parameters. If you practice good tank husbandry (as with our beloved Goldie's) then you're half way there!

Best things I can say tip wise are Slowly slowly happy tanky and for your first marine tank...go large! It's much easier to keep a large tank stable and any mistakes or learning curves take longer to cause any harm to the stock, thus allowing time to put things right. The hardest tanks of my 4 marine tanks to keep stable are the two smallest ones :)

I am picking some more corals up after the weekend with any luck so more pics to come :D I am delighted that the tank has picked up well after the near nuking by the dreaded xenia. It's a delight to look at now and I find myself missing half of the films I watch on the tv as my eyes wander to the tank next to me :lol:

• 1 year later...

A quick photo update on progress so far

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

I haven't added much to it since my op but it is all doing very well biggrin.gif I have some blue eye cardinalfish now to enjoy the main water column with the clowns and I love them biggrin.gif

o1.jpg

o3.jpg

I got scared when my cleaner shrimp moulted. It's skin was stuck to a pump and I was convinced it was the whole thing without my glasses on lol

56.jpg

An early video clip - a bit poor quality but it gives you an idea

th_DSCF1947.jpg

This is too sick i am dying to start a saltwater tank now i should have never open these threads!