Osaka 155L Marine Reef.

jennybugs

I've upgraded yet again from my 24 Gal nano tank to a nice Fluval 155L tank.

It's been a bit of an epic adventure this one as I had to deconstruct the nano in order to put the new tank in its place! This had to obviously take place all in one day and it was backbreaking to say the least :blink:

It's a lovely tank...all rounded

os7.jpg

with the two marine bulbs it really comes to life even when empty

os5.jpg

For a while I had live rock, fish and corals all over the house in any spare recptacle I could find

os1.jpg

os2.jpg

os3.jpg

os4.jpg

In went the rock and sand

osa3.jpg

then it was the turn of my existing corals

os9.jpg

os8.jpg

the tank has pride of place right next to my end of the sofa

os13.jpg

tbc

I have been given some gorgeous corals and now the tank is (just) 4 weeks old and is looking grand.

All my corals are so colourful and opened out so much with the new T5 lighting

osa3-1.jpg

os28.jpg

os29.jpg

os27.jpg

os21.jpg

os18.jpg

my sand conch Hooter

osa9.jpg

I have a pair of watchman gobies - Beaker and Bunsen - aka The Muppets

osa19.jpg

osa16.jpg

tbc

Norm is still with me

osa14.jpg

Hooter again being a good glass cleaner

z4.jpg

a hermit resting on the cabbage leather

z1.jpg

z19.jpg

z27.jpg

z26.jpg

z25.jpg

7a.jpg

z37.jpg

the first two of a shoal of blue eye cardinalfish

z36.jpg

z35.jpg

FTS

z33.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Thankyou ladies :D

I would love a marine puffer tank one day :peeka

I am also thinking about ugrading the goldie tank the other side of the hearth to match this one! My goldies would love it and I think it would look awesome! :wub: I will be suggesting LFS tokens for presents from now on :druel

Ok coral naming....from second post onward as best I can. I don't have any anemones.

1 rainbow acans

2 blue mushrooms

3 duncans in the middle, ricordeas below

4 orange fungiia plate coral

5 cabbage leather

6 torch coral or frogspawn (euphyllia sp)

7 green reticulated coral goby on montipora digitata

8 acropora sp and acans

9 green coral goby on plating montipora capricornis

10 various mushrooms

11 various zoanthids

Others - green spotted polyps, red sea pulsing xenia, xenia elongata, lobophyllia, kenya tree, birds nest coral, toadstool leather, green fungiia plate coral.

:D

I am soooo jealous, you seem to have so many gorgeous tanks! I know it must take so much time, money etc but I want my tanks to just appear as pretty as yours! I can't seem to have any living thing except fish and algae....algae has covered my only remaining plant, the fish killed the curling val and my sister put her thumb through the moss ball so now it has a hippy van parked in it....want to swap????

I love your 'step-by-step' marine photos :D

Absolutely gorgeous! I really want a marine tank, and you're not helping the situation! I love that tank design it's like a piece of sculpture. And Beaker and Bunson? Fantastic names, I love the muppets. In fact, I want to be a muppet when I grow up.

Alistair, Hooter is so groovy! Those eyes are the best! Sand conches are the only snails to have a real 'pupil' as such. Really brings them alive :D

I fixed a couple of moonlight led strips to my lighting yesterday and the tank lit up like an 80's rollerdisco at moonrise :lol:

I'll try and get some pics tonight that do it all justice!

• 1 month later...

A quick photo update on progress so far

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

I haven't added much to it since my op but it is all doing very well :D I have some blue eye cardinalfish now to enjoy the main water column with the clowns and I love them :D

o1.jpg

o3.jpg

I got scared when my cleaner shrimp moulted. It's skin was stuck to a pump and I was convinced it was the whole thing without my glasses on lol

56.jpg

An early video clip - a bit poor quality but it gives you an idea

th_DSCF1947.jpg

Thanks for the update Jennybugs!! It is looking awesome!! Haha - I had to laugh when I read the bit about your shrimp molting. Snider82 had the sameish thing happen last weekend. He was feeding his tank and he starts yelling "omg - I have two shrimp in my tank!!!" and im like "ya - ok dear :rolleyes: (lol)" And sure enough there were two blood shrimp in the tank! It was a perfectly intact outter shell hanging underneath the rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

My hand now hurts like a good'un but thought I'd have a go with my good camera as I've missed playing with it for the last couple of months.

The results are as follows :)

A bit blurry here and there, but practice will make my hand stronger again and it's impossible to use a tripod while kneeled on the arm of the sofa with your lens almost touching the glass :lol:

69.jpg

this green cabbage is actually growing after doing nothing for ages!

70.jpg

torch or frogspawn? The latter I think. It's now got 3 heads :D

72.jpg

my gsp loves the faster flow in the corner of the tank and I'm hoping both types will spread to cover the rock they are on

73.jpg

74.jpg

trying my macros with a new technique of balancing but it's not quite there yet as it hurts

75.jpg

76.jpg

a bizarre shot under the moonlights!

77.jpg

I need some different hues of acans now methinks

79.jpg

Love these mushies and zoas. Had them for ages now

80.jpg

I love this plate but capturing the true colour of dynarod orange is so hard

81.jpg

82.jpg

:D

• 2 months later...

that is just hands down amazing. if i had the money and space i would be doing the same thing as you. im so glad i found this new fish obsession ! hahah

I have some updating to do of this tank biggrin.gif

I got a new torch coral

93.jpg

the clowns have showed no interest in this at all

89.jpg

a new long polyped toady

103.jpg

the duncan keeps throwing out new heads left right and centre...17 at last count compared to 3 when I got it a year ago

92.jpg

104.jpg

it's bulking out nicely now

101.jpg

69.jpg

this green cabbage is actually growing after doing nothing for ages!

70.jpg

frogspawn biggrin.gif

72.jpg

my gsp loves the faster flow in the corner of the tank and I'm hoping both types will spread to cover the rock they are on

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

a branching style of polyp I have yet to get the proper name of

a6-4.jpg

a2-4.jpg

a non branching hammer

a5-4.jpg

a few other random shots including my torch coral that had just been walked all over by my cleaner shrimp

a4-3.jpg

a7-4.jpg

a3-4.jpg

Spot the conch!

hoot3.jpg

hoot2.jpg

hoot1.jpg

hoot4.jpg

How lazy is that?

I'll stop now and add more another day lol.GIF

I had a set back a few months ago when the heater Ihad decided to try and boil the tank! Luckily everything bar the blue mushrooms and a couple of gobies survived and are picking up well biggrin.gif

Edited by jennybugs

You have a stunning setup. :heart I am inspired to get to work on my marine tanks. I have a 7 gallon nano cube and a 29 gallon reef. But they are nothing compared to your tank. I loved your blue eye cardinalfish are they easy to care for? It is hard to find small fish that can be kept in a group for reef tanks of our size. I was thinking of trying out black mollies but the cardinal fish you have are so cute. Anyway :goodjob your tank is beautiful.

I really wish I had the money and space for a marine tank. Your's is so beautiful. It must be great for you to be able to sit on the couch and stare at it. And I love Hooter! Especially those pictures with just is eyes sticking up out of the sand. Too cute!

Very beautiful set up. I have never done a Marine tank, is it hard to care for?

I would say the researching is the hard part as you end up with brain freeze doh11.gif I researched for over a year before finally taking the plunge and I am well and truly hooked. At the start everything can seem a little overwhelming with all the tests you have to do and the constant monitoring to make sure your water is just right. It is obviously more time consuming and much more costly than our beloved goldies, but worth the effort imho.

I loved your blue eye cardinalfish are they easy to care for?

Not at all! They really just sit around all day with the occasional bicker amoungst themselves. Not the most active of fish I have to say yeah.gif but they are always first to the food at dinner time! They remind me of my goldies then rofl3.gif

A bigger tank like this is easier to run and keep stable than my smaller 23L nano Edge tank. Marine tanks aren't the sort of thing you can set up and let do its own thing too much as certain corals take more nutrients out of the water than others so that has to be monitored, but if you keep a tank of soft corals then it's much easier with fish only being the most simple type of marine tank you can keep.

I personally love my corals and would be happy with a tank full of them and very few fish, but I think I have the balance right now biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The tank cost around ?350 but came with an external filter, inline heater and special marine T5 bulbs yeah.gif

I'd love the Osaka 320 version for all the goldies I must admit!fbottom.gif

Just wondering Jenny, what do you do with your tanks when you're on holiday? Does someone look after them or can they manage for a week or two on their own? Do you just not take holidays and have two weeks at home up to your armpits in tanks and spend all your holiday savings on corals and tanks?!