Student Budget Fish Tank

Last year I bought a small fish tank and two lil goldies to brighten up my Uni bedroom but thanks to this site i have learnt that the 20litre tank they are in atm is way tooo small for them. BUT i have two problems...A. im on a student budget and B. my room is tiny and i will not be aloud to keep the tank in comunal areas.

I picked up a bargain tank the other day for ?10. its 24" by 12" by 14" and came with a stand and lighting unit. It takes up a fair amount of space in the room so I cant get anything bigger untill i leave uni in another years time but is holds around 60 litres so it 3x bigger than their tank atm which is a big improvement and hopefully they will b happy lil fish :D

Lookin in lfs and pet stores a 600 gph filter is gonna cost me ?30+ but i wud prefer to get a brand new one than a second hand one which will leave me with hardly any money left for decorations

To save money can i buy gravel and rocks in homebase/B and Q?? They sell pea gravel and slate chips which look exactly the same as the ones i have seen in lfs but much cheaper. Also they had little terracota plant pots which i thought may look nice in the tank, can i use these? I will wash it thoroughly before puttin it in the tank

Just for us American's....60 litres is roughly 15 US gallons.

:)

I am going to say that your fish will be OK in a 15 gallon tank if you do large water changes every few days depending on your test results. IT will probably come out at around 50% every 4 or 5 days. Maybe more.

Feed sparingly (once a day). The best way to calculate how much food is enough is to drop food into the tank and when it sits on the bottom of the tank for more than a minute, they are full, that's enough!

Eventually they will need at least a 20 gallon tank. (Or 76L.) Probably more.

To answer your second question....Yes, you can buy rocks and decorations from places other than the fish store. Just don't put anything painted in. River rocks are good, and so are terracotta pots. I use both! :)

Boil them all before you put them in your tank, just in case.

BTW, I am at college too and I decided to give my fish more room, even though my dorm is small. I will have a 40 gallon tank, a 20 gallon tank, and a 10 gallon QT tank in my room this year. It's an addiction! :P

Since you can't miss not one water change no matter how busy and where you are(can't go away for a week and the fish be ok) I am going to suggest you re home one goldfish.

That well give you more wiggle room with your water changes and means you can go home for the weekend if you want too and do weekly water changes instead of 2 or 3 times a week.

I'm also a college kid working on a tight budget. My tanks are all finished and have been for a while but I remember the days when I was still putting them together! Terracotta pots are great, I had one in my tank for the longed time. Also fake plants from the floral/decor section of the store also work great so long as you make sure theres no exposed metal and they're soft...sometimes the hard plastic ones can hurt fishie fins. I used (and still use) a lot of glass marbles in my tank. The floor of my tank has them scattered all over on top of the gravel, they're cheap and really pretty.

I'm with you on not wanting to get a filter second hand, sometimes they're just not as good as new ones (although I have a used fluval 304 thats absolutely amazing). You just have to look hard and carefully. Maybe look on a place like craigslist for used supplies, once in a while something great comes along.

I'm still trying to get mine sorted, one thing that really helped me was for b'days or 'congrats on your exam results' my bf's parents always send me amazon vouchers, you can get some decent size filters on amazon cheaper than in store, same with decorations. For terracotta or glass decorations (I have a glass vase in mine) maybe have a look in local charity shops?

Good luck!

I bought a second hand filter for ?23 but its an external canister one and was in really good condition. I set it up yesterday :D woooooo I threw in loads of gunk out of their filter, one of their ornaments and a pinch of fish food to help get the cycle started. I dnt move bk to uni for anova month yet so hopefully the tank will be cycled by then :D I told my goldfish they are moving house, theyre very excited!!! haha

• 2 weeks later...

Just for us American's....60 litres is roughly 15 US gallons.

:)

I am going to say that your fish will be OK in a 15 gallon tank if you do large water changes every few days depending on your test results. IT will probably come out at around 50% every 4 or 5 days. Maybe more.

Feed sparingly (once a day). The best way to calculate how much food is enough is to drop food into the tank and when it sits on the bottom of the tank for more than a minute, they are full, that's enough!

Eventually they will need at least a 20 gallon tank. (Or 76L.) Probably more.

To answer your second question....Yes, you can buy rocks and decorations from places other than the fish store. Just don't put anything painted in. River rocks are good, and so are terracotta pots. I use both! :)

Boil them all before you put them in your tank, just in case.

BTW, I am at college too and I decided to give my fish more room, even though my dorm is small. I will have a 40 gallon tank, a 20 gallon tank, and a 10 gallon QT tank in my room this year. It's an addiction! :P

A 40, 20 and a 10? In a dorm or an apartment? All of the colleges I have looked at only allow 10 gallon tanks in their dorms. What colleges allow larger tanks like yours?

A 40, 20 and a 10? In a dorm or an apartment? All of the colleges I have looked at only allow 10 gallon tanks in their dorms. What colleges allow larger tanks like yours?

The kind that don't know you have so many tanks... :P

My old apartment doesn't specify fish tanks in the lease, so when I asked them they just said, "Oh, well nothing too big." Fortunately... uhm... "too big" is in the eye of the beholder and I went with a 50gal... :P Whoops!

It's a dorm. I do live in a single, though, so I don't have to worry about a roommate not liking it.

My college has no specifications on how big or how many fish tanks you can have. The only restriction they have is no piranhas. :)

The school definitely knows I have the tanks though, I have had maintenance in my room a BUNCH of times.