Zebra Nerite

I had not really even considered getting a snail before but it is crossing my mind now because of all the red algae all over everything in my tank. It comes off when i clean okay but if i had a pretty little snail in there helping me it might be kind of nice. So what are the disadvandtages of having snails? Has anyone had a zebra nerite ? Them seem like they may be my best bet.

I have Mystery Snails & Trapdoor snails.

I think the main DANGER with snails is THEY ARE V E R Y ADDICTIVE!!!

Get one though you will LOVE SNAILS!! (I love sharing my addiction with others!)

Edited by Jeana727

I have had nerite snails, zebra and the red ones as well as apple snails and red ramshorns

The problem with nerite and apple snails I have always found is if you want to treat the tank most things seem to kill them off. They don't like tea tree or Pimafix or any of the fluke/wormer treatments although salt never seem to bother mine. So if you want to treat the tank you have to remove them and then of cause you might be transfering the problem with them and adding it back with them.

Mine never lasted very long although they did a great job on the algea while they were about, now I have a albino BN plec who also does a great job. I still find odd red ramshorns about so I guess they must be a bit hardier as well as being prolific breeders.

Thankyou for the info. I think i am gonna have a try at this. I have a lead on some zebra snails. How would you quarantine snails?

I think the consensus is that there is no good way to QT snails (check out this old thread http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/72272-do-snails-need-to-be-qtd/). I bought one yesterday and put it right in my tank. Maybe risky, but there wasn't much else to be done.

Snails look awesome and I'd like one but I'd be worried about parasites and what not as they often come from tanks with fish in em at my LFS, also my treatments (wormerplus) will kill snails and I don't want to be killin' poor snails! Thats my 2pence!

Yes treating a tank with snails is always a problem. It is always good to make sure you have a spare to set up in case you need to remove them.

As for parasites, I just try to be careful. I got my snail yesterday from a snail only tank. It had its own filter so I'm hoping that there were no nasties in there. But it is a gamble for sure.

I think i am gonna have to risk it. Thanks for the input. Those zebra strips have already captured my heart and i don't even have them yet. The only i am really scared about is they have a tendency to crawl out of the tank. I don't know how i feel about that!!! :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Okay, i finally found some and they are supposed to ship on Monday. I am so excited. It is just going to add a whole new dimension to my tank. I thought i would share pics of the types i chose.

zebra nerite

DSCN2671_1.JPG

red spotted nerite

spotted_nerite.jpg

I love them. I can't wait. And in all of my 39 years did i ever think i would be excited about a snail?? Boy life's full of surprises.

Guys, a word of caution here when treating for flukes, etc especially if snails are involved. Unfortunately, nerite snails are very sensitive to praziquantel. I lost all of my nerite snails when I treated my goldfish and apple snails for flukes. The apple snails survived and they actually do but the nerite snails did not. I had this confirmed with Donya in Applesnail.net and she said my case was the first time she ever heard of prazi killing nerites. Sure enough, my planorbid was also killed by the prazi as confirmed previously that it would.

Another dewormer, fenbendazole has been recorded to cause the apple snail to sicken but no clear record as of now if fenbendazole can directly kill apple snails however the nerite snails were destroyed by the fenbendazole.

Okay the way i understand it is adding snails to your tank is always a little risky. Especially nerites. No salt or prazi. But i am going to do it. So i am open to suggestions as the best way to proceed. I won't have them until next week but i am ready for a gang plan. Especially if a extra tank has to be set up for them. Or would i get so lucky as to acclimate and add? Maybe acclimate to a bowl of tank water. And refill every day for a few days? With a few algae covered rocks from my tank. And i also don't really know what i would be watching for. Open to ideas.

Prazi is risky. Nerites are very tolerant to salt so this is your advantage. I am not sure if flukes commonly harbor themselves in nerites but as nerites are already very sensitive to a lot of treatments such as praziquantel, our best bet is simply with salt.

Thank you.Salts okay then. I have read so much stuff on snails and plecos lately that i don't seem to be retaining very much of it unfortunately. Lol.

Well my snails arrived today. It was quite an experience removing them from the bag!!

red spotted

DSCN4408.JPG

zebra

DSCN4409.JPG

He also sent me an extra i didn't order. They were great to order from. zebra and green tiger.

DSCN4397.JPG

Sorry for all the blurry pics. It seems my camera may be giving up the fight.

• 2 months later...

It took me a while to find the link. It looks like right now they don't have any but if you keep checking their list i am sure they will get them in again.They were great to buy from.

My linkhttp://www.invertzfactory.com/stocklist.htm