Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Shubunkin Changing Color?

Ok, I just tried to find a similar topic with the search engine, but couldn't find anything. Don't eat me if a topic like this already exists!

Anyway, how come my shubunkin changes color? He is mainly silver-blue with a few orange and a bunch of dark spots. The thing is though that the dark spots almost completely disappear whenever I have the fish tank light on for a while.?

In the morning he has really dark spots, or when I don't have the artificial light on. Right now it is 10am in the morning, the fishtank is bright from natural light (no direct sun though) so I don't have the artificial light on, and he still has his dark spots.

So why is it that the artificial light makes his dark spots fade almost completely? Is that common for shubunkins? If so, is this harmless or does my little Hugo have a problem? I was unsuccessfully googling for an answer to this - which is also how I found this fantastic website/forum.

How many fish and what size tank? What are you feeding?

But yes some fish change colors but not like that.

Also dark spots can be amonion burns. When was the last time you tested the water? How often do you do water changes?

I am moving this post to see if you can get some help.

I change the water twice a week, as I explained in my introduction thread, and the water quality is fine. When I got that fish he already had exactly those spots, that was more than 2 months ago. Ammonia burns should disappear after a couple weeks. Also I have a common goldfish in the same tank who doesn't have any spots at all, so if it was ammonia then this one should be affected too, shouldn't he? Also those dark spots are made up of many many tiiiiiny little dark dots. I have some photos for you guys, not the best quality though, way old camera.

Here after the light is on for hours:

zzverypale.jpg

Here when the light is off for several hours (unfortunately kind of blurry):

ZZspots.jpg

This is what he looks like a little bit after I turned the light on. You can see the dark spots fading and you can make the tiny dots out better

ZZHugoKate.jpg

If it is ammonia burns, how come they disappear when the light is on? oO

I really doubt it is a water problem, that's why I posted this topic in the general section before. I was mainly asking out of noobish curiosity.

Edited by number20121

Looks healthy to me. I havn't heard of any illness/disease that does that, so maybe it's just a magically colour changing fish :P

Nice :D But well, I am not making this up, you see the comparison photos. I was trying to look up if a fungus might be causing this, but I only find fungus that looks white, nothing that causes black freckle-collections.

And I managed to take a really good close up photo of him before (ZOMG!!! lol) that shows the dots perfectly. The picture is huge so I won't hotlink it

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/Picture032.jpg

hehe nice pic. It crazy how the blackness just dissapears :P

I reccon it's just special. My shubunkin doesnt have much colour to him :(

Still it would be nice if you answered the questions. Someone who knows more about this sort of thing might spot something in the answers that might help you figure out what might be going on.

Edited by Hidr

Oh I'm sorry, that's why I referred to my introduction post. ^^'

As said there, the place where I got the fish etc obviously cared more about money than the fish and so I as noob got wrong informations, like "1 inch fish per gallon water" and "no, they won't grow much more". Wasn't even told I'd have to cycle the water, I am extremely surprised the fish survived now that I know a little more.

So now I am stuck with a 10 gallon tank, three goldfish and one pleco. I change about 15% of the water twice a week because I know NOW that the tank is too crowded, using the recommended amount of water conditioner every time. I change the filter cartridge about every 10 days, I also keep the water level about half an inch lower to have the water from the filter go back in like a little waterfall and oxygenate the water some more. Unfortunately I am quite broke right now and it will take a while until I can afford a bigger fish tank.

Their diet consists of goldfish flakes, shrimp pellets and algae chips. Every once in a while some fresh cucumber or zucchini.

I honestly didn't know about the testing kits for the water quality though, I am planning on getting one next thursday when I get my paycheck. Thanks to the competent people at vvvv I keep my fish tank in a condition as good as I can (afford) right now. They gave me some nice tips like the more frequent water change, the lower water level/waterfall-effect to keep the water quality good.

I am using tap water with water conditioner. I make sure the water is the same temperature as the tank water even though I don't have a thermometer for it by filling two empty gallon water bottles with tap water the day before and let it sit in the same room over night so the temperature is the same as in the tank. Another nice and actually very logical thing the vvvv people told me.

Well, I hope this is enough information for everyone, if not, just let me know! :)

I would get them in a larger body of water. A cheep rubber maid can be used till you can do otherwise. Even if you have to get the rubbermaid and use the 10 gallon filter you can do larger water changes then get the filters they can be used when you get the proper size tank.

Until then do daily 100 percent water changes. I know with oscars they lighten and darken depending on stress levels this may be what is going on with your fish. Common pleco's can/do suck on goldfish at night. It that is happening that may be what is effecting color.

Don't worry many of us started out "wrong" I had 9 goldfish in a 55 gallon tank (lost them all) before I found this place. And did the goldfish in a bowl thing. I had no clue. With luck and some extra care hopefully your pets well be ok till you get them moved.

Hang in there and good luck.

Guest Toki

Hi, I was wondering if you managed to find the cause/solution to the black dots on your shubunkin? Mine has the same thing & I thought it was a parasite but can't find anything about it... I also posted a question about it on another forum but no one got back to me! :(

Guest secuono

There are a lot of other types of fish that change color based on mood and/or surroundings. My Black Skirts are a paler black when the light is on, but pitch black when the light goes off. My Opaline change their blue colors if they feel more adventurous or more shy. Maybe your Gold is trying to match the darkness because it doesn't feel too secure. Who knows, but if it's not effecting it's eating or health, I wouldn't worry over it.