Sign in to follow this  
Guest Michael Joelle

Laying On Side On Bottom Of Tank And/Or Doing Face Plants

Guest Michael Joelle

[*]Ammonia Level? < .02 ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Tank is 10 gallons. Ph level is 6.8. KH is 40. GH is 75. Chlorine level is 0.

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Jungle 6 Tests in 1 Strip

[*]Water temperature? varies due to temperature of the house (A/C is broken in the upstairs where the tank is) but currently it is 78-82

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? TopFin 10 gallon whisper filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Okay, honestly I don't change the water too much because it kinda evaporates out of the tank and then I just add a fresh gallon of water once a week to bring it back up to the normal water level. Every two weeks or so I'll take out a gallon or so of water and put in new water. But yesterday (before all this happened) I vacuumed the gravel (siphoning out 2 gallons) and changed the filter. I realized today that I forgot to rinse the filter before I put it in. :( When I added in 2 gallons of water, I put in the decholorinator, a few drops of the Stress Coat, and a few drops of the bacteria supplement.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? There were 5 (two medium goldfish, one small pleco, and two small guppies)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Dechlorinator (when I add new water), Stress coat (when I add new water)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Three pinches (approx) of flake food once a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? The one goldfish is being more lethargic than usual....he has been known to just kinda sit on the bottom of the tank, but since yesterday he's been doing face plants (like he's fallen head first into the gravel and just stays that way), and worse now...he's lying on his side on the bottom. He can swim around, but when he does, he kinda tilts to the one side.

So yeah, like it says above, I vacuumed the gravel (siphoning out 2 gallons of water from the 10 gallon tank), put in fresh water (with all the necessary additives), and changed the filter. Since then, my two guppies died...one last night, and the other today. Choujji, my sick goldfish, has been more lethargic and swimming sideways, and also laying on the ground on his side. :( It's very sad. He usually is pretty lethargic...it used to really concern me that he would just sit on the bottom of the tank, but since he does it all the time, I figured it was normal for him. However, now since he's laying on his side and face-planting more than usual...I'm really concerned. My other goldfish is fine. No problems, even after the water change from yesterday. But Choujji looks really pathetic. :( I'm afraid he's going to die.

PLEASE HELP!!! My other two fish seem to be just fine...the Pleco is a really hearty fish...he's a survivor. And the other goldfish seems to be completely untouched by whatever is causing my other fish problems.

Guest Michael Joelle

I forgot this part:

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Tank is 10 gallons and has been running three months.

Hi and :welcome

thank you for your honesty in your post. unfortunately adding new water to a tank that has lost it's water due to evaporation is not good. what happens is that the nitrate, nitritre, and ammonia are building up with no way to leave unless you actually remove the water. your tank is too small for all of the inhabitants so water changes need to be performed at least every other day in my opinion.

also, your pH is extremely low. including the kH and gH. this is not good for goldfish OR plecos. plecos are sensitive when it comes to pH and temperature changes. it would be interesting to know what the normals are for the pH, kH, and gH after you start performing regular water changes.

if you could please give more information on the following:

ammonia

nitrate

nitrite

goldfish types...are they fancy or commons?

do you have any kind of aeration in the tank, like a bubble wand?

please do a water change as soon as you can. I would do at least a 90% water change, although I'm sure a 100% water change would be better.

your filter is not going to be strong enough and should be upgraded as well as the tank needs to be upgraded.

another thing is that the flake food is not the best in terms of nutrition. I believe that once the package is open it is only good for about 3 months or so, and frankly goldfish shouldn't eat flake food because they end up "eating" too much air. a sinking pellet type food is best, or a homemade gel food. try and feed the fish some soft boiled peas with the skin removed and mash it a little before feeding.

since I'm mentioning feeding, how are their poos? I know it may sound strange, but fishy poo can tell you a lot!

again, Welcome to Koko's! :)

Guest Michael Joelle

Hi, and thank you for the welcome!

I should do a complete water change now? Will that not cause an ammonia spike? Not to disagree or argue, I am just concerned because I had some fish die before and the pet store people told me that's why.

I don't really know about the poo...I'm not very experienced at all. lol I wouldn't know what good or bad poo looks like.

The healthy goldfish is a Black Moor. The sick goldfish is a fancy...it's the type with the bubbly bumps on his forehead.

As far as the aeration, I have the filter that pours water back into the tank, and also a little air stone. Tomorrow, I'll go out and buy a new filter and also maybe one of those air strip things....but I can't afford a new tank right now. :( I'll also go change the water and try the peas ASAP. :( I don't want Choujji to die!!! What else can I do? Why is the water bothering him and not the others? And why did it happen AFTER I changed the water? :(

Also, what else can I tell you about the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites? I did the water tests, but I've listed as much info as I know.

Edited by Michael Joelle

Martha is right about the water change being good and the reason it happened after your last water change was prob nothing to do with water and all to do with chucking the filter :doh11:

The filter is where all the beneficial bacteria are attaching and breeding and throwing the media you throw all the protective bacteria too. Best to just rinse that with old tank water (as these bbs also die in tap water that has not been treated with de-chlor). Luckily you have gravel- more good bacs will be in that. You probably have had a spike and can get back on track soon.

You can do this with daily small water changes. The amount will be best decided by testing the water to see where you are with your cycle and how much ammonia or nitrites you are seeing..Im sorry your fish is not well and you lost the guppies. This has to be water related and learning about the nitrogen cycle and how a fishes tank eco system sets itself up is a good important and interesting read. Theres a link in my sig!

Welcome to kokos :)

:welcome

You have been give some great advice. Did you check out the link in Trinket's signature? :heart

I have a couple too.....it is pretty important stuff. You want your water parameters to read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and something around 5 nitrate. This will show that your tank is cycled. :)

Bubbly bumps = wen :)

As for fish store personell....usually they are more versed in tropicals. Most of the time the fish store personell give really bad advice. I don't think they mean to...they just don't know. Or at least I hope!

Water changes are good for goldies! As long as you have dechlorinator and try to get the temp matched as close as possible. Ammonia comes from the fish...unless you have it in your tap water??? Good idea to check water parameters from you tap prior to changes...just in case.

Guest Michael Joelle

Yeah, after like 4 days of struggling, Choujji died today :( I really thought he was going to pull through because he started to mover around more, but then this afternoon I checked in and the air stone had been pulled out of the tank, because, apparently, the little motor thing fell off the table...pulling the stone out. So I'm not really sure if he died from lack of oxygen or if he was still just sick from before.

R.I.P. Choujji! :(