Apple Snail Eggs!

My Apple Snail laid eggs on the lid to the tank. The thing is the only other snails are 2 Trapdoor snails. Awhile ago she was in with other Apple Snails...............can they breed & then lay eggs later on? Or are these eggs no viable & if so I guess I should dispose of them. (Do the fish eat them? )

My Apple Snail laid eggs on the lid to the tank. The thing is the only other snails are 2 Trapdoor snails. Awhile ago she was in with other Apple Snails...............can they breed & then lay eggs later on? Or are these eggs no viable & if so I guess I should dispose of them. (Do the fish eat them? )

I have heard that apple snails can conserve the sperm from mating for a long while before "puttiong it to good use" so to say. So it's not unheard of. How long ago was "a while"?

I know I read on the interwebs somewhere that it is not uncommon for them to do that (and why many mistake them for being hermaphrodites, nay, they were just storing their pregnant parts until conditions improved lol). I can;t remember of course how long it was said, or if there even was, but I would imagine if you did a search for how long after mating the sperm was viable it could give you an idea.... ::shrugs::

Jeana, how long have you kept the apple snails? The trapdoor snails produce by live birth and don't lay eggs. If you bought the apple snail from a store which kept several snails in a tank, then chances are the female apple snail stored some sperm and can produce fertile eggs. They also produce infertile eggs without being copulated even once by a male. Leave the eggs for at least 3-4 weeks. If they turn white with blue tinge by 3-4 weeks, it should indicate the eggs are about to hatch. If not, dispose the eggs by crushing or freezing them.

I was thinking it had been a loooonnnng time, so like a dummy I wiped them off. Then I remembered there are 3-4 little ones in there (About dime size) How old (or rather how big) are they when they are old enough to fertilize eggs? I am wondering if she maybe had a fling with a younger fellow! (Gosh, I hope I didn't destroy good eggs!) When she lays again I will be careful! Do you need to mist the eggs every so often when they are on the lid? I would really like to hatch some, I think they would be SO cute!

WELL!! She laid somemore!! I am going to leave these! Hope they are viable!! How long before they hatch.....IF they hatch!! I hope they do!

WELL!! She laid somemore!! I am going to leave these! Hope they are viable!! How long before they hatch.....IF they hatch!! I hope they do!

2-4 weeks depending on the humidity and temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

I was corn-fused cause I found a few babies scooting around, and I knew it was too early for the clutch to be hatching! THEN I remembered the Trapdoors!! Yep, they must have popped out a few babies!! ((It must be Snail Baby Season!!)) Hope they make it, it'll be fun to watch 'em grow into big boys!!

Well, I figured it out!!!! I have TWO types of baby snails!! The ones I noticed earlier are baby Trapdoor snails! TODAY when I got home I noticed tiny dots on the tank......upon inspection with my trusty magnifying glass I see baby white snails! These are itsy bitsy! THESE are from the egg clutch!! MYSTERY SNAILS!! Woohoo!!

How long does it take them to get from tiny dots to little snails?

Well, I figured it out!!!! I have TWO types of baby snails!! The ones I noticed earlier are baby Trapdoor snails! TODAY when I got home I noticed tiny dots on the tank......upon inspection with my trusty magnifying glass I see baby white snails! These are itsy bitsy! THESE are from the egg clutch!! MYSTERY SNAILS!! Woohoo!!

How long does it take them to get from tiny dots to little snails?

In my experience, they double in size in a week. Pea size by 4-5 weeks.

I was giving my 3 tanks a really good cleaning today. I was at the smaller tank removing water & REALLY cleaning the gravel (It needed it badly!) when I remembered BABY SNAILS!! Yikes!! I looked all around and saw several! Whew!! So I covered the siphon with netting & finished cleaning as best I could. There is still plenty of baby Mystery Snails, but I am sure many took a ride threw the hose. :doh11:

They are so cute, little dots scooting all around!

My baby Mystery snails are doing fine. So are the baby Trapdoors! My egg laying maniac mother snail has laid ANOTHER clutch, it is much smaller than the previous clutches......maybe she's runnin' out!! I kinda hope so, she AND I need a break!!

• 2 weeks later...

296115698_o.jpg

One of the 3 apple snails in my shrimp tank laid eggs on the light fixture cover just yesterday.

Wow, started with 20 shrimp about 3 months ago & now have 200+ & thats after giving away about 50 or 75 to peaple who wanted to start a shrimp tank.

Dog had 8 puppies, whats next?

294888521_o.jpg

I'm glad my blue eyed cockatoo doesn't have a mate, othewise she would be laying eggs.

OLD FISH....You R E A L L Y have YOUR hands full! Good luck!

My baby snails are doing fine! Still in the smaller tank (my Betta is NOT real happy about sharing his space but he's managing!) They are growing but still not big enough to move to the goldie tanks....they'd just be little snacks! I am enjoying watching them grow!

• 1 month later...

Well when I had my apple snail 8-9 months ago, I only had the one and was suprised when i saw baby snails running around, 2 minutes later I found a batch she had laid behind the filter just above the water. Not to say i was a little annoyed I had a few 100 new friends to manage. Anyway ended having 6 batches in like 3-4 months and I couldn't handle it anymore, so I got some clown loaches to "control" the unexpected surge in apple snails, and gave the snail back to the shop in exchanged for 2 loaches! $4 snail got me $20 of loaches :D not a bad deal. Now I have a 25 litre tank with a few apple snails which are about half the size on a apple and are about 7 months old, and i take all their batches away. But I find them fun, especially seeing them motor for some cucumber or lettuce.