Smells Like...puppy?

my tank smells like a new puppy, I have no idea if any of you know the smell. I really can't describe it other than "puppy". If you have had a puppy, you'll probably know the smell. It goes away before they reach a year, but... it's just odd. It's in the process of cycling, has 1 grown and 1 growing aponogeton, 2 goldfish, rocks and water. The weirdest thing, EVER.

I did salt the water recently, though not enough to be noticeable at all. A little bit more than 1 tsp/gal. I also recently added a decoration (recently meaning this morning). Nitrite is way too high at 2 ppm (doing a water change in the morning since I will NOT trust myself with a bucket of water in my present state), pH is between 7 and 7.5 somewhere, alkalinity is a bit low but not dangerous yet, my water's a comfortable not-hard, not-soft, and ammonia is on its way down at 0.5 ppm. I feel it should be said that I'm cycling, and am now definitely coming down from the ammonia side of things. Yay! ^_^ (I was flirting over the edge of 1 ppm this morning, but I barely had time to feed the fish, not even mentioning water change, so it's relieving to see my levels lowering, after a very arduous ammonia stage)

So my question is if any of you know what's causing the puppy smell, cause I don't think nitrites smell (XD), though I'm not sure.

Edited by HolyK

I really cannot identify with what "new puppy smell" is. :P

But I was thinking, did you add any dechlorinator?? Every now and then I get very strong odor at my nose, like sulphur almost when I am adding dechlor.

How long have you had your tank up and runnning now?? How long have you been noticing this smell??

Time up and running: over 2 weeks

Notice the smell: Yesterday, after I got home. Not before.

I add dechlorinator always before I put water in. ^_^

• Admin

Oh yeah a tank trying to cycle will stink. When I moved from CA to Oregon and had to cycle my tank over again, I forgot what the smell smelt like. It stinks! Mine smelt alittle like old eggs in there, until the nitrates take over. The only kinda way to get the smell to go down is carbon but that only works for about 24-48 hours.....

Cycle kinda stinks :lol

When you say puppy smell do you mean the smell of the puppy itself or the notorious "puppy breath"? My puppies smelled just fine but their breath WHOO!!!! And that's all puppies, something to do with their primary puppy diet and other things, but all puppies have bad puppy breath until they reach a certain age.

BUt whichever way you mean, I am not familiar with a tank smelling as such.

Not really sure if it's breath or actual puppy; all I know is whenever I'm in close proximity with a puppy (from golden retrievers to mini fur balls), the smell is there. It isn't horrible or anything, just... very distinct.

• 1 month later...

MYSTERY SOLVED. It's my decoration! Somehow, when water touches this one decoration I bought, it smells funny. I just put the decorations in the water after sealing them, and bing, it smells again. Moving air freshener back in the room...

Yeah, once I got complaints from mom that it smelled "nauseating", I took it out. Figured A) that wasn't supposed to happen, and B) if it's causing nausea among people with average to more sensitive noses, I could send the deco for house decorations. ;D I'll find uses for it, definitely. Meanwhile, going to get a HEAVY (read: Not hollow) replacement decoration in a few days. (fishies need hiding places, after all! =) )

What would cause a decoration to smell? :blink: that's weird.

When you say puppy smell do you mean the smell of the puppy itself or the notorious "puppy breath"? My puppies smelled just fine but their breath WHOO!!!! And that's all puppies, something to do with their primary puppy diet and other things, but all puppies have bad puppy breath until they reach a certain age.

I personally LOVE puppy breath! It must be a weird family thing :P

What would cause a decoration to smell? blink.gif that's weird.

I personally LOVE puppy breath! It must be a weird family thing tongue.gif

LOL, glad you resolved the issue.

I have a lot of puppy breath smell here right now, but not from the fish tanks, LOL

294888521_o.jpg

But, not from the fish tanks, LOL