Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

0 Everything....

I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate, I set this tank up in November , and it has 3 fish in it. It cycled almost excatly 7.5 weeks later 0 ammonia 0 nitrite, and nitrate under 5ppm. A month ago I added another filter on to this tank, to establish that filter so I could start another tank and jump start the new tank with the filter.

Everything in that tank went to 0, and has been 0 for a month!! I removed the other filter after 2 weeks. But my tank is still at 0. I *might* have 1 ppm of nitrates, but the test kit starts at 5, and 5 is very pale. Basically the water in my test tube looks exactly like it did before I added any chemicals. Sometimes I think I see a hint of pink (nitrates) but it is certainly not visable to anyone but me.

I have no live plants in this tank. My test kit is not broke either, because I have nitrates in the rubbermaid beside the tank in question.

Is this something to worry about at all, or is it all good as long as I don't have ammonia or nitrite? :lol

It has an aquaclear filter on it. I can't remember what size, a 150 or 200 anyway. And instead of using the sponge and carbon, I have two sponges in it.

Jessica

My computer just totally freaked out. It said cannot send email! I was trying to post a post, not an email, so I hit enter again, and it said WARNING CANNOT SEND EMAIL, so I tried again, and as you can see, it flooded the message board. I am very sorry and would appreciate it, if a mod could delete some to save space or what not.

Very sorry everyone.

Jessica

How Big is the tank and 3 fish? How often and what % of the water are you changing weekly? How high is the temp? how much do you feed? All those things could impact your nitrates. Do you keep changing the filter's foam? I really dont know why you wouldnt have more nitrate in this tank by now especially since you dont have plants. Usually (at least in my experience) they slowly get a bit higher over time after cycling and waterchanges are used to keep them in check.

Edited by SomethingFishy

It is 30 gallons. The three fish range in size from 1.5" to 3".

The usual is a gravel vac (there is only a handful of gravel in that tank) and 30-35% water change every 6-7 days.

But the last week , I changed 10% halfway through the week, just because I had extra water from a change in another tank, and I didn't want to just dump it, so I changed some water in the 30.

I have not changed the filters foam at all. In fact yesterday (or was it the day before?) was the first time I'd even rinsed it since November, when I set the tank up!! I was afraid of disturbing bio bugs, and the flow in the filter had not slowed down, so I just left it alone. The temperature is 70.

The only things I have done to the filter were 1) I did add an extra sponge to it, and 2) I added another filter onto that tank (so I had two filters) for two weeks.

It's been 0, since a day or two after it cycled. Everything went to 0, including nitrates. pH is 8 if that matters.

In my main tank, my nitrates are usually only 1 or 2. Like I said my test kit starts at 5, and my nitrates are always under that.

I'm just being curious as to why this is? I guess it's just one of those things....

Jessica

Your temp on that tank(70F) is lower than mine(78F) so that may have something to do with it.........the fish are pretty small too. If you're worried that the low nitrates may be causing you to have an unstable cycle you could try raising the temp. If you're not worried about that then you should just check the nitrites frequently to make sure there are no bounces IMO.

Good Luck!

Thank you SomethingFishy. I do test the nitrites often. I'm a tad bit paranoid.

My main tank is 76 and it has low levels of nitrates too. Although at least it has a reading.

I think I may try heating the tank in question and see what happens.

Thank you for your help.

Jessica

No, it's not that unusual. My readings are always 0, 0, 0- 0.5 too and I have no live plants either now, but what I DO have is algae! People often forget that algae are plants too and actually consume a fair bit of nitrate.

If you have a good cleaning/water hanging routine going and some algae in the tank then nitrites should always be below 10. :)

Edited by emmahj

My 29G gets no sunlight and very little green algae. I have to do 40%-70% weekly waterchanges to keep my nitrates below 10 and by the end of a week it still goes up to 15-20.

So does your 30G tank have alot of green algae Jessica?

No green, but I get a lot of ugly brown algea. Does brown algea work the same way?

I scrub the brown algea off of my tanks except for the one in question. I usually let it grow in that tank because I have a shubunkin that likes to eat it.

Jessica

You know what you could do is Not do a gravel siphon one week and only change out 10% of the water. My main tank is always at 0 now but I have plants in there now. Some tanks when you have the right amount of filtration and right amount of food the the nitrates go to 0 because there isnt any waste to be picked up. :D

Try that and see what happens I think your doing just great:D