Sign in to follow this  
Roano

Bulge On Abdomen

Yes. I have done that. 20 % changes or even 10% changes every few hours over one day. Do that!

I think I would remove him to do a vacuum gravel next time. You can do this with minimal stress by cupping him in a plastic container and raising him to the surface like that and then using the same container slowly release him into a larger tub of temp and pH matched waiting water with an airstone bubbling in there to reduce stress.

Okay, I'll start that... I won't be vaccuming the gravel this time, I'll just take some out of the top with a milk jug. I'll go 20%, and that's four gal. I'll add the new water carefully, so that it doesn't send him flying around the tank. Or should I remove him? (I don't have an airstone, and the spare bucket I have is just what I normal use for the gravel vac to empty into. But if you think I should remove him, I'll put him in there for the change. If not, I'll play it by what I see... I'll save the old water, and if he gets pushed around too much when I put the new stuff in, I'll put him in the bucket with old water before continuing.)

What about feeding? Keep going with the MM's? He only had two tiny ones today.

Better to not move him if the water changes are small ones. Try and keep his routine the same, this helps de-stress the fish.

Can you remember how many days you have fed the MMs?

I will wait your reply and then we can decide..

Started MM yesterday morning (along with salt and Prazi.) I fed him 7 tiny pieces, all in the morning; a few hours after that he was swimming. This morning I only fed 2 pieces... so he started yesterday, and today is the second day.

Then stop feeding it at once. Next meal? Back to what was working. The variety of peas and veg and shrimp etc.

Antibiotic courses should be completed but its only one day in so I think you should stop those.

Okay, will do. Pea for him tonight.

So probably quit the gel food? It seemed to be working fine, except for everything that's happened since, and I don't know if the gel food has any part in that or not. Anyway, I'll worry about that at the next feeding time.

Thank you for your quick responses. I'm going to go change 20% now, hopefully I can get 100% changed tonight before everyone goes to sleep. We'll see...

Good luck. I'm with you and your fishes recovery. He can do it. He has before.

Will check on you tomorrow.

He was barely breathing when I went up... I changed the next 20% and he seemed a little more awake. I'm going to try a little brine shrimp. He's so weak, I don't think he could chew pea.

He managed to eat a little brine shrimp while I was holding him in my hands, but he is not breathing normally. He barely breathes, and then he might do a few sudden breaths. When I was trying to pick him up, he was breathing and his mouth bumped against a rock and I'm worried that he could have gotten it in his mouth because his jaws kind of went out a little (not fully) and I picked him up and tried to see inside but he was keeping his mouth shut and a little extended. Then I held him in my hand and he acted 'normal', not like he had anything caught in his mouth (ate some brine shrimp too.) But a small rock couldn't have gone down his throat and into his stomach, right? I feel like this is unrealistic, but it popped into my mind just because he did that weird mouth thing (that's when I picked him up.) I guess if he swallowed a rock he would have freaked out more... I don't think it's realistic that he did, but I worry about everything.

Anyway, I don't know if he'll make it through the night; he just seems bad, and I sort of feel like I should just end it... but at the same time want to let him try. But I really don't think recovery is likely at this point. He's even more curved than before, and like I said when I came upstairs to do his water change a little while ago I thought he was dead; I couldn't see any breathing or signs of life. I don't know if he was sleeping (like when a normal fish sleeps, everything slows down...) and in his weakened state, he looked dead. But I don't know... do you think I should let him keep trying? He just doesn't look good: can't swim, can't really eat, can barely breathe.

Im very sorry. Perhaps you should just let him be now. Get some rest yourself and see how he is tomorrow.

While water changes are okay the handling may not be so good. Give him some totally non disturbed down time now. No need to do anything else at this point.

Okay, I won't touch him tonight. (That was just for feeding, but I wasn't going to try again anyway.)

I have clove oil... should I use it? He seems pretty far gone to me but I guess he did a few hours ago too. It just seems so drawn out. He seems the same as before, and once when he was kind of 'moving' I saw him yawn, or at least extend his jaws. I guess new water might help.

Maybe I'll take a nap or something, and come back here later to update/read. I'm sort of trying to avoid looking at the tank because it's so upsetting and I can't do anything to help... he's in my bedroom and I think I'll just stay away from that part of the house for a little while.

I only managed to get 60% (12 gal) changed out because I waited about 2 hours between each change.

He is still the same, face tucked into a corner so that it's difficult for me to see what's going on without turning on a ton of lights... so I've left him alone. He is so curvy, poor baby.

I think I'll take a nap for a couple of hours and come back on here around 5 or 6 (in two/three hours) to read and update (if there are any... I changed the last of the water at around 12 am or so, so it's been over three hours now that he's been in that spot, I think.)

He died sometime early this morning.

Thank you for helping me so much, Imo. I'm so appreciative of all your advice and kind words... Koko and Sunshinegurl, thank you for all your help and support too... I would have been comletely lost without you guys and at least he had a good chance this way, and a few more months of life. And even though I lost him the guidance you all have provided has taught me so much and it's ensured that I won't make the same mistakes with my other fish. I can't thank you all enough.

:cry1

I was hoping not to hear this.

You did all you could. He had a lot of problems, so many that I think he put up a good fight really, all considered.

Your little one is at peace now. I am so very sorry it turned out like this, so disappointed but your efforts to help and save him were really and truly outstanding.

:grouphug

I am sorry to hear of your loss Roano. I have been following this topic recently and had hoped that your little guy would pull through. He will be missed :(

Thank you both. Your words mean alot.