What Else Can Possibly Go Wrong During A Water Change?

Hey y'all! I thought you might get a laugh out of this one.

So... I wake up this morning to find my fish acting rather lethargic, all very slow, sluggish, and hanging out at the top. I had never seen them like this so I quickly tried to diagnose the problem. Using my API drop test kit I found that the nitrates were unchaged, no ammonia, no nitrite, and a small change in PH. I had been medicating my oranda for mild septicemia and thought it could have affected the PH. I added some buffer and came back a bit later to find that they still were sluggish and sickly looking. I had no time at this point to do a water change- my dad and I were supposed to drive 20 miles to pick up a package. :gcar: I delayed him an hour, plenty of time to do a good water change! Right??? WRONG! :doh11:

So I set up the phython and all is going according to plan. I am vaccuuming the gravel, and before I know it 60% of the water is gone. I go back to change from suctioning to putting fresh water back into the tank. It starts off perfectly, I figured I would have time to watch some TV before he came. I was wrong. Once again....

20 seconds in I hear SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WAAAAAPOPOPOPOPOPOP and the python leaves the tank and starts spraying water across the room. It takes a while to stop it and turn the knob to off. I was soaking wet. Then suddenly I hear SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WAAAAAAPOPOPOPOPOPOP and I see that the bathroom sink exploded and water was flooding the bathroom. LOL... Now the other funny thing here is that I flooded the bathroom 2 weeks before doing a water change and now im in for it. Thank god for beach towels lol.

Now my python is literally in 6 pieces and I cant fix it.

At this point, dad is supposed to be here in 5 mintues, more than hald the water is gone, the filter is not functioning because the water level is too low, and I cant come back for 2 hours.

I quickly get enough water in to get the filter running by lugging 10 gallon buckets full of water and emptying them into the tank. Once the filter started to run, I saw that the temporary delay in function had caused it to spurt a weird subtance into the water thus clouding it. HONK HONK HONK dads here.

I get back two hours later to find my fish ok. I finish using buckets to fill the tank. This is one of those moments where I say to my fish "You had better love me A LOT!" LOL :rofl

OMG! I was just rolling on this one! Hilarious! Today, you made Murphy VERY proud!

:tomuch::rofl3:tomuch::rofl3:tomuch::rofl3:tomuch::rofl3:tomuch::rofl3

Edited by Lynda Von G

LOL I have totally been there before... It's crazy. You think "I have plenty of time to get this done" and then something ridiculous like this happens and you are running around like a crazy person trying to do a water change. Too funny. Glad everything is under control now : )

• Admin

Oh yeah Murphy is probably laughing now....Sorry I had to laugh too. I havent done that with the Python but have had the Hose pop out of my water bucket once when I wasnt paying attention and water all over the floor :lol2

:rofl LOL!!! :rofl

Hey I think we need a special section for PYTHON DISASTER STORIES!!

(I don't think you can REALLY be a Python owner until you have had Fish Water On the Floor VIA the Python!!)

Or even a DIY python owner. I forgot to mention that my homemade invention (small pump with a long piece of tubing set in a large canning pot under the running tub faucet) has spewed water too.

If I don't want to stand and hold it the entire time, I have to clip the hose to the tank. I've yet to find a clip that works really well. A couple of times that clip has slipped off and the hardy little pump keeps pumping water all over everywhere. My couch is right next the the tank, so, of course, that's where the hose starts spewing water first, but the carpet has been far from immune to the minor catastrophe as well. I had to layer towels on the couch so I could still sit there after one incident.

But, with my setup, I have never had to deal with, "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WAAAAAPOPOPOPOPOPOP." A burst hose must be tons of fun! :crazy:

:tomuch::tomuch::rofl3

NOW you are an officially initialized python owner! :rofl2

But see it on the bright side - the living room and bathroom are sparling clean now.... :whistle

BEEN THERE / DONE THAT:(LOL @ self)

For his very reason:

I use a 55G plastic drum to condition new W/C water.

I simply open valve on W/D filter sump, to drain out X amount of tank water.

(drained water goes to flower/veggie garden via garden hose)

Flip switch on pump & pump in X amount of conditioned water back into sump.

Done, simple, easy, effective.